1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Kernel Help: Testing which one works for you?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Rento, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rento

Rento New Member

So I have a question? I was using JDLFG 300-800MHz kernel with conservative scaling. I loved how smoothly it ran however was displeased with only a 10-12 hour battery life on my 3500mAh extended battery.

I just flashed over to a Slayher 125-800MHz kernel with interactive scaling, i'm hoping this will give me an extra 2-3 hours. But i'm not holding my breath on that one.

Question is:

When flashing between kernels, can I just reflash them or is it recommended to start fresh like ROMs?

In my scenario, if this kernel doesn't work better then my previous kernel, i'm just going to run a restore. However, I learned that when restoring, you wanna wipe the whole phone prior to installing the restore.

Instead of restoring, can I just reinstall my previous kernel?

TIA.
  2. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Beta Team

You can flash kernels without wiping anything, at least I do and I haven't ever had a problem.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

Correct. You don't have to wipe anything. On another note, I highly recommend raidzero's kernels for an excellent combination of pure speed and great battery life.
  4. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Beta Team

+1. RZ's are the bomb. So is his recovery, just fyi.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. Rento

Rento New Member

Ohhh so that's what RZR stood for. I'm totally going to look into it. I mean if RZR runs on 1.1Ghz OC and my phone handles it fine, i'm sure it'll love a 800Mhz kernel from him.

RZR is the best ever. Didn't know it stood for Raidzero Recovery. But yeah, i'll look into his kernels for sure! Thanks for the heads up.

Also, thanks everyone for the kernel info!
  6. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Premium Member

I also recommend using conservative scaling for ultimate battery life, unlike other scaling methods it ramps up gradually as more stress is placed on the processor as opposed to the others that peg it to the max slot right away. Reasoning being if you REALLY need that much cpu then it will run for more than a few seconds so a slower ramp up works fine, but using the other scales that max right away just to open gmail for example, is basically just draining battery.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Cheers!

Sent from my Droid