[Kernel][GPE 5.0.1][Sense 4.4.4]Elite Kernel for VZW/SPR HTC One M8

LemurCo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Having a few weird issues of late. Not sure if it's some random config issue or a kernel issue (I'm leaning toward it being a config on my part). All of these began after installing Elite and go away if I switch back to stock. Reflashing with Elite, problem comes back. This is on a Verizon M8 (4.4.4). Using latest Elite (12/20).
- Phone slows down after about a day. 4-5 seconds a click. Takes 3-4 seconds for screen to turn on. Reboot or soft reboot fixes it. Plenty of memory and no running apps. Tried stripping phone down to no apps at all beyond stock and problem still occurs.
- Fast battery drain. This one surprised me, as Elite has such a great rep for being gentle on the battery.
- Couple random lockups, but they appear to be related to the slow-down. Once it gets really slow, it will sometimes freeze up with the screen off. Hard reboot and it comes up fine.

The tweaks I was using but have tried disabling to see if it helps (hasn't so far):
- Voltage adjust (-24). Restored to 0 for testing.
- C0 and C3 enabled.
- IO scheduler set to fiops/4096.
- Power suspend enabled.

Any thoughts what might be causing these random issues?

rhodyvik

Reaction score
Having a few weird issues of late. Not sure if it's some random config issue or a kernel issue (I'm leaning toward it being a config on my part). All of these began after installing Elite and go away if I switch back to stock. Reflashing with Elite, problem comes back. This is on a Verizon M8 (4.4.4). Using latest Elite (12/20).
- Phone slows down after about a day. 4-5 seconds a click. Takes 3-4 seconds for screen to turn on. Reboot or soft reboot fixes it. Plenty of memory and no running apps. Tried stripping phone down to no apps at all beyond stock and problem still occurs.
- Fast battery drain. This one surprised me, as Elite has such a great rep for being gentle on the battery.
- Couple random lockups, but they appear to be related to the slow-down. Once it gets really slow, it will sometimes freeze up with the screen off. Hard reboot and it comes up fine.

The tweaks I was using but have tried disabling to see if it helps (hasn't so far):
- Voltage adjust (-24). Restored to 0 for testing.
- C0 and C3 enabled.
- IO scheduler set to fiops/4096.
- Power suspend enabled.

Any thoughts what might be causing these random issues?

I'm having the same issues. I might go back to a November kernel from Elite because this never happened with those. I'll let you know. I'm not a fan of having to reboot once a day because of the phone eating memory even when apps are completely closed. I think it might be an issue with a script holding onto memory so it loads faster. Maybe a cache issue?

PieceKeepr

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
M8
The 12/3 release for Verizon seems to be working good for me. I had some issues with the newer ones.

Sent from my ViperOne powered M8 using Tapatalk

D08speed3

Reaction score
Not having any of these problems. Are both you guys on Viper? I'm on RKDN and the latest has been nothing but buttery smooth.

Hazegray

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VZW HTC One M8
I have the same experience as D08. Latest version is running very smooth with RKDN.

Dodge DeBoulet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon HTC One M8
I'm on Viper and everything has been great for the most part. The only issue I've had (and I'm not 100% sure it's related) is that Hulu now refuses to play video on my phone. It starts, shows me the video selections, allows me to cast shows to my ChromeCast, but when I try to watch them on the phone an error dialog pops up with "Strange... Sorry, an unknown error occurred. Please try again or contact support."

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app, wiped cache and dalvik, fixed permissions and RootCloaked it with no change in behavior.

Netflix and Youtube work fine, though.

LemurCo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Latest Viper here (3.2.1).Reloaded Viper a few times, too, just to be sure. Issues persist. I'll try an older Elite and see what happens.

brymaster5000

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One m7 vzw
Twitter
brymaster5000
Make sure viper doesn't have kernel settings trying to override your desired ones. Viper puts in a kernel tweaker package in the rom if I'm not mistaken.

LemurCo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I actually rolled back to Elite 12/3/14 and it's running a LOT better so far. Will keep testing.

I've set up no viper tweaks, though the reload should have wiped them out anyway. If I figure out anything else, I'll update.

OP
buckmarble

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Further development on the sense KitKat kernel is put on hold for now with lollipop looming around the corner. I will be taking a different direction with the kernel on sense lollipop. A more minimalistic take on it. I'll put all the essential tweaks in like gestures, oc, voltage control etc but not nearly as many upstream patches. I might redo the gpe kernel with the same ideal if I feel motivated to do so (I don't run gpe, so it puts it a bit lower on my priority list). Anyway, just wanted to pass along my thoughts to you all.

rhodyvik

Reaction score
I'm on Viper 3.2.1 and I am now running 12-03 version of Elite and it's much smoother than the latest couple releases. I don't know what the difference is but there is one. I'm happier now :)

Sent from my Big Red M8

haroldg

Reaction score
Further development on the sense KitKat kernel is put on hold for now with lollipop looming around the corner. I will be taking a different direction with the kernel on sense lollipop. A more minimalistic take on it. I'll put all the essential tweaks in like gestures, oc, voltage control etc but not nearly as many upstream patches. I might redo the gpe kernel with the same ideal if I feel motivated to do so (I don't run gpe, so it puts it a bit lower on my priority list). Anyway, just wanted to pass along my thoughts to you all.
Makes sense (no pun intended).

FWIW, I have been running this on BoneStock for months, taking each update since you fixed the exFat issues. I have used intellidemand, ondemand and (mostly) Wheatley governors and only cfq for i/o. No other kernel tweaks and always with powersave on. No battery issues; no lag; no problems.

I have Lollipop on my Nexus 7 and, to be honest, I am not that crazy about it. Hopefully, they'll do Lollipop with Sense right when they get around to it.