[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

karri0n

Reaction score
Ok. My final suggestion is pull the busybox binary from a current CM nightly and replace the version your currently using, if this does not repair your issue perhaps you should talk with zepp as after running the supercharge script your problems began.

I think I covered that when I reflashed the cm7 I was using - as I checked busybox and it was once again running the CM7 version.

SUpercharger could be the culprit... I ran it not knowing I currently had busybox v 1.19 CM. I thought I had used it prior to this on my current ROM install, without first changing busybox, but there is a chance I did not. I will pursue this further.

Prime, I'd just like to say you RULE for taking time out to help people like this, especially when it's an issue that has pretty much nothing to do with your kernel. Thanks a lot for all your help.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I just loose data on cyan 7.1 after a few minutes changed to stock 7.1 kernal and i dont loose data.

Could you do this and pastebin it? (after losing data)

In a terminal:

Code:
su
logcat -b radio -t 2000 > /sdcard/radio.txt

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I think I covered that when I reflashed the cm7 I was using - as I checked busybox and it was once again running the CM7 version.

SUpercharger could be the culprit... I ran it not knowing I currently had busybox v 1.19 CM. I thought I had used it prior to this on my current ROM install, without first changing busybox, but there is a chance I did not. I will pursue this further.

Prime, I'd just like to say you RULE for taking time out to help people like this, especially when it's an issue that has pretty much nothing to do with your kernel. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Please try this in a terminal and show me the output:

Code:
su
umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck -v /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

Code:
su

I have a few quick questions for ya, prime...where is a good site to learn different scripts? I know some but not too many...are they just basic Linux knowledge? Oh and how hard is it to learn Linux and compiling kernels and even roms? If it's not super hard I wouldn't mind diving into android and kernel development myself :)

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

kevdog

Reaction score
Anyone can compile a kernel -- well it's a little bit of a pain to get things set up -- however its a whole different ball of wax to go about tweaking it. Same goes for ROMs. if you want to get into the game, install a linux distro and get used to it, then start writing simple programs for Android. I think Cyanogen had an article about how to get into the whole android thing which made for pretty good advice with a logical progression -- and it didn't start out by kernel tweaking.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Anyone can compile a kernel -- well it's a little bit of a pain to get things set up -- however its a whole different ball of wax to go about tweaking it. Same goes for ROMs. if you want to get into the game, install a linux distro and get used to it, then start writing simple programs for Android. I think Cyanogen had an article about how to get into the whole android thing which made for pretty good advice with a logical progression -- and it didn't start out by kernel tweaking.

I forget how many kernel options there are but its extremely easy to break things by enabling/disabling a single wrong switch. Best to start with compiling kernels for a PC, then move on to embedded.

The cyanogen mod wiki and cvpcs's blog are good places to start reading up on various forms of android development. Grab the android SDK/eclipse and go through the available tutorials to get a handle on android app development.

karri0n

Reaction score
V

Code:
su

Code:
 $ su
#umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
umount: can't umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2: Invalid argument
# e2fsck -v /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2: clean, 121/249856 files, 199487/499713 blocks
#

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
karri0n
I think I may have figured out what the problem is, actually Prime was the one who helped me out when it reared it's ugly head.
It sounds like when you were messing with settings and partition tweaks, you may have accidentally formatted the 2nd partition perhaps to linuxswap.
This is why you are getting all the output to commands and queries as busy or doesn't exist.
I have had 2 encounters with this, once was caused by something unknown and the other time I accidentally reformatted it using swapper2.
I think that the only solution is to reformat the partitions. Sucky, yes. But I believe that it is the only way to fix this.

Please chime in, if anyone agrees or disagrees. Or, just wants to give a yea yo!

Hopefully this will work and all will be right in this world, meaning all will be continuing to fall to pieces around us.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
karri0n
I think I may have figured out what the problem is, actually Prime was the one who helped me out when it reared it's ugly head.
It sounds like when you were messing with settings and partition tweaks, you may have accidentally formatted the 2nd partition perhaps to linuxswap.
This is why you are getting all the output to commands and queries as busy or doesn't exist.
I have had 2 encounters with this, once was caused by something unknown and the other time I accidentally reformatted it using swapper2.
I think that the only solution is to reformat the partitions. Sucky, yes. But I believe that it is the only way to fix this.

Please chime in, if anyone agrees or disagrees. Or, just wants to give a yea yo!

Hopefully this will work and all will be right in this world, meaning all will be continuing to fall to pieces around us.

danceswithbongs

I'd suggest minitool partition wizard on your PC to make and manage sdcard partitions...much more extensive than using rom manager and clockwork recovery

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

karri0n

Reaction score
karri0n

danceswithbongs

Thanks for the tip DWB,

My question is, when this happened to you, did you use parted to look at the partition table? If you did, did it continue to list mmcblk0p2 as being formatted as ext4?

To be honest, I'd wipe and give the latest version of MIUI a try(something I've been wanting to do anyway) and restore my last titanium backup, before I'd want to completely format my SD again.

Edit: I went ahead and did exactly that - MIUI setup and configured now, and link2sd is working. This means the partition itself had nothing wrong - something was borked with my install.

Thanks again for all the support, Prime. We didn't get to a solution, but I've learned a lot in the process.

Last edited:

karri0n

Reaction score
I'd suggest minitool partition wizard on your PC to make and manage sdcard partitions...much more extensive than using rom manager and clockwork recovery

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

I actually used Parted from the command line to setup my partitions - I much prefer being able to choose exact sizes as well as where the partition starts and ends down to the byte. I tried using rom manager the first time and the results were pretty bad - I did it manually after that, and was successful for several months before this issue reared its ugly head.

rancur3p1c

Reaction score
btw deprimed *edit: PRIME :) a long time ago I fussed about compcache swapiness being set to 7 not 30 and insisted on 30...I have since come around to your side of things. 30 makes it swap too much stuff out and burns CPU and makes the UI a tad laggy...I think I am going to try stock 7 again....

Last edited: