[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

Discussion in 'Droid Kernels' started by prime, Feb 22, 2011.

1. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the ram issue sucks for us OG droid users. but i have the same problem you mentioned, happens sometimes when i get a call and it locks up. the odd thing is that the dialer is always in the foreground (-16 oom value) so it should be responsive... try compcache and see what happens.

256 ram should be good for a phone tho, iphone 3gs has 256 ram and i think iOS 4 was offered to 3gs users with its pseudo multitasking. so i know it can work, its just all memory management of the OS, and gingerbread seems to need better hardware..... problem is nothing is a worthy upgrade yet. galaxy s2 or bionic is what im waiting for.

2. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea a reboot usually seems to be the ONLY true remedy to get it fresh and running smooth. Compcache restart doesn't really seem to do the trick for me either. I copied everything from my SD to my PC and am trying to figure out making the ext and swap partitions. If doing it through ROM Manager do the necessary scripts get created that enable/manage the swap partition? I know link2sd can take care of the ext2 or 3, whichever one gets created by RM, once it gets created...but I've had alot of apps on my SD since Froyo came out, now do I have to move all of them individually back to the phone, since the SD gets erased?? These are the small details that have prevented me from starting this.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pleasantly surprised to see Con Kolivos' hand in kernel writing - I thought he had dropped out of kernel writing a couple o years back....

@ExpertonTech says this is the way to go for his builds, so I'm about to use the latest deprimed and have at it. Wish me luck!

4. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody know how Prime's doing, he hasn't posted here in almost 2 weeks. I don't follow twitter so not sure if he posting there. Hope all is going well with him.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

5. DanDroidX

DanDroidX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    MIA on twitter too.

Sent from the Droidforums App via a Neurocellular Processing Unit.

6. litso

litso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the FAQ CK wrote, he mentions that he had given up kernel writing, and that he had hoped to never return to it. The state of Linux kernels forced him to return though. I think it had to do with those maintaining the mainline kernel obsessing over scalability and optimizing the kernel for setups with thousands of CPUs. It performed alright for regular setups with 1-8 CPUs, but is too bloated to be optimal. CK wrote the scheduler as I understand it specifically for small scale use, which just so happens to be ideal for Android devices.

7. dwnfdrknss

dwnfdrknss New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What CM version are you running? I've been using NIGHLYs since i started trying out different kernels, and i've been on the latest de-primed the longest. Except for little issues such as MMS and video camera freezing i haven't experienced the issues i see a lot of people having. Even at that the updated nightlys have fixed many the bugs i've run into. About to test NIGHTLY 76 with both the stock kernel and latest deprimed because of the large number of changes from the last version. The next nightly seems to have a ton if changes in the works as well...

Rick

8. GoBigOrGoHome70

Ratings:
    +0
    The number of slots is based on hardware, namely the cpu in the OG Droid, so while you can delete them from the script, they will still exist.

9. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Pretty sure his job search is above posting here and on Twitter.

10. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just making an inquiry if anybody knew how things were going for him. Definitely with all going on in his life lately posting on forums at the bottom of ladder.

11. DanDroidX

DanDroidX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Who else misses Prime?

12. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do because it's just plain bored without him being here. Man I miss flashing new kernels.

Search tags for this page

deprimed kernel

deprimed kernel droid
directory non existent error in link2sd
directory nonexistent link2sd
droid1 deprimed test
fiops vs sio
link2sd directory nonexistent
link2sd failure directory nonexistent
primed kernel
yaffs2 cannot allocate memory