Kernel and Temperature Advice

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by baldybill, Jul 4, 2011.

1. baldybill

baldybill Member

I have Chevyno1 SS 5.4. I'm running it on my OG droid. I am running the stock low volt 1.0 kernel. I have it set at 800 max and 550 min. Here are my questions:

1. How can I tell what speed it's running? (Like is there a widget? Can I use SetCPU widget to check it without the 2 programs causing each other problems)?

2. Should I be using SetCPU instead of the Chevyno1 builtin in speed adjustments so I can set it to slow down at certain temperatures? Or is that sort of thing built in to Chevyno1 already?

3. My phone seems to run hot (113F sometime 115F and hotter) when I use it for some time (like 20 minutes, which I don't think is a long time). Is there anyway I can keep it from getting hot? Should I use a different kernel? Which one?
  2. coovee

coovee New Member

hey since last week, after i found the deprimed kernel, my og droid has been ultra fast and SUPER cool. i use wifi tether pretty much all day and before i got the deprimed kernel, my temps would be around 125-130. which is insane, now that i have deprimed it doesn't get above 110.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/127262-kernel-deprimed_test-break-if-you-can.html

i already calibrated my battery so the battery life is back to the way it should be :) please read the first few posts as you have to go into SU, after flashing the kernel, and run two commands to set it up
  3. baldybill

baldybill Member

Seems very complicated.
  4. coovee

coovee New Member

its not, what i did:

pre: installed milestone overclock program (didnt touch it just install)
    1.flashed kernel (no wiping)
    2. full boot, then got into terminal typed 'SU'
    3. at #prompt i typed overclock pressed enter
    4. at #prompt i typed deprimed pressed enter
    5. rebooting into beautiful wonderland of ss5.4
  5. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ok, I tried following these steps. What did I miss. After I typed deprimed, I got nothing. Where's that script?
  6. baldybill

baldybill Member

Also, anyone have thoughts on the 1st 2 questions?

1. How can I tell what speed it's running? (Like is there a widget? Can I use SetCPU widget to check it without the 2 programs causing each other problems)?

2. Should I be using SetCPU instead of the Chevyno1 builtin in speed adjustments so I can set it to slow down at certain temperatures? Or is that sort of thing built in to Chevyno1 already?
  7. coovee

coovee New Member

I use Chevy.s built in and no set cpu
  8. baldybill

baldybill Member

Great, thanks.

I downloaded the deprimed kernel
    I followed your directions and only got the primed function to work
    I got nothing when I did deprimed.
    What did I miss?
  9. bmt11

bmt11 New Member

The line you need is deprime with no d on the end. I assume that is what he meant and was just a typo since there is also a "primed" command with a d, but the disable command does not.
  10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I've had some heat issues when using data heavily. I tried most of the newer kernels, but honestly... my particular phone likes chevy's batch of kernels from 3/24/11 better than the last few batches from May.

I switched back to the LV 1.1 ghz kernel from 3/24/11 the other day, and I've noticed a significant improvement in performance, but less heat as well. Came from the ULV 800 mhz kernel. It ran the coolest for me of all the 5/xx/11 kernels, but still a little too hot, and slow.

I know all D1's are a little different, but mine definitely prefers the older kernels.

*edit: added link in case anyone wanted it. It's the LV 1.1

http://db.tt/znzWkCK

*customized tapatalk signature*
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  11. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

It would help if the right directions were posted.

1) Install kernel
    2) Open command prompt, su
    3) Enter primed, enter

"primed" copies the ULV script into /etc/init.d and executes it once so the values are loaded and are set to be auto loaded on reboot. You can verify it worked by using any file browser or the command line to see if 20overclock exists in /etc/init.d.

"deprime" removes the ULV overclock script so that the kernel reverts to LV on reboot. Running it after runing primed just removes what you just set.

"overclock" just sets the ULV on the fly and they are lost on reboot

Enjoy.

I suggest you look at the commend line steps in the OP - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cy...primed_test-break-if-you-can.html#post1310431
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  12. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

jeeezzz you let it get to 125-130??? the hottest mines been was 136 cuz i had a game running under sheets which kept the backlight on all day. It was sooo hotttt!