[KERNEL][4.5.2011][2.6.32.21] Kernels from Adrynalyne

Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I did not make these kernels. I'm just forwarding the info here.)

There are three types of kernels to choose from.

a versions: Stock clock, very optimized, undervolted.
b versions: 1.4ghz, very optimized, slightly overvolted for 1.3ghz and 1.4ghz, undervolted otherwise.
c versions: 1/4ghz, very optimized, more overvolted for 1.3ghz and 1.4ghz, undervolted otherwise.

Which should you choose? Well if you don't want to overclock, the a version is a no brainer.

If you do want to overclock, b and c are your choices. Version b will be better on battery life, however less devices will be able to run the lower voltage at the higher speeds. The c version will be slightly worse on battery, but should be MUCH more compatible with devices.

Remember: Overclocking is at your own risk, and not mine!

All of these kernels will boot at 1ghz unless set to overclock via setcpu or another overclocking app.

Features:

CFS CPU scheduler
BFQ I/O scheduler
Undervolted
Overclocked
SLQB slab allocator
Audio enhancements
smartass, performance, conservative, powersave, ondemand(default) governors.
neon and cortex optimizations
battery charging speed enhancements
updated ashmem driver
GPU+ patch
nfs support
ext4 support
gps enhancement (thanks ziggy!)
Various other little insignificant tweaks.

Current project is the bamf kernel, mainly to be used with the bamf roms, but will work with any Sense based rom.

Current version is 4.1.

Version A

Version B

Version C

4.1 Changes

--Tweaking of version a smartass governor.
--Addition of death ray (requires suitable app support, such as here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1024220)"

Requirements to overclock:

--Bravery (or stupidity?)
--Setcpu SetCPU for Root Users [2.1.1a] Dual Core Madness 2/27/2011 - xda-developers

Notes to devs:

--I am totally cool with you guys using my kernels in your roms, but please give me a heads up and a small blurb in your credits is all I ask.

XDA Thread

mkjellgren

Reaction score
The b version is running great for me on tps1.2.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
OP
Demolition Man
Reaction score
Updated the main post with links to the 4.1 kernels. Thanks BigMcGuire for posting that info.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Wow, 4.1a is sooo much faster than the stock kernel!!! I'm definitely going to have to try das bamf!!!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

Lucas5

Reaction score
i don't know why, but i'm having GPS issues with Adrynalyne's kernels. google maps seems to work fine, although with a slight pause before it locks on, other apps that try to use gps never seem to lock on. once I restored my TB to the stock kernel, the gps started working great again.

Reaction score
This is a n00b question, so my apologies, but:

Are there instructions on loading a kernel?

Do I need to wipe the device after loading a new kernel?

What is the easiest way to backup apps/settings before flashing the kernel?

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
With the smartass governor my CPU doesn't drop below 768 at idle. If I switch it to ondemand it immediately drops to 248. Going to test this out a little more.

Edit:
Interactive scales down nice too. I guess I'll use that with a screen off profile.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

Lucas5

Reaction score
there's no need to backup or wipe when installing a new kernel.
as for the easiest method of loading it.... copy the zip containing the kernal onto your phone SD card than use rom manager to install it. from rom manager, choose "install rom from sd card" and simply locate that zip file that contains the kernel that you had downloading/copied to your SD card.
also, be sure that you create a backup before you install any rom or kernel. you can create the back with rom manager.

Reaction score
there's no need to backup or wipe when installing a new kernel.
as for the easiest method of loading it.... copy the zip containing the kernal onto your phone SD card than use rom manager to install it. from rom manager, choose "install rom from sd card" and simply locate that zip file that contains the kernel that you had downloading/copied to your SD card.
also, be sure that you create a backup before you install any rom or kernel. you can create the back with rom manager.

Awesome, thanks for the post.

One final question: Should I continue to use SetCPU after loading the new Kernel, or does the kernel do all the work for me?

Lucas5

Reaction score
from what Adrynalyne said about the "smartass" governor, it should do all the work for you unless you plan on overclocking it. if you're going to overclock it than i'd at least use setcpu to throttle the speed down if or when the temperature gets too high.
still, i read on the xda-developer forums that Adrynalyne was still tweaking the "smartass" governor so i'd set the governor on "ondemand" and use profiles in setcpu so that the cpu goes down to the slowest when the screen goes off. that's what i do right now.

currensy

Reaction score
my htc screen wont load up now...i'm actually stuck...this run through clockwork right