kernals

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ogbobby4, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ogbobby4

ogbobby4 New Member

Can anybody show me a good kernel for droidmod 1.0
  2. kevdog

kevdog New Member

droidmod runs on its own kernel. For reasons unknown to me (OK I just dont understand the programming and kernel hacking behind the process), other kernel (such as Chevy's, Pete's, Taz, etc) are not interchangeable with this ROM. If you want to do some kernel hopping, then you must install another ROM.
  3. woodyman

woodyman New Member Developer

i've installed another kernal over droid mod, before i switched out to a different rom.. i had taz's kernal installed..

just download the kernal from taz's post over at alldroid and you should have a folder, unzip and there should be a nandroid folder place that into the nandroid folder on your sd card and when in nandroid recovery go into advanced nandroid restore be sure only the boot.img is stared and click restore.. can post further instructions if needed..
  4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

there is no reason you couldn't flash a different kernel on top of droidmod. i recommend chevy's kernel, it runs really cool on my phone. it's an update.zip, so it's REALLY simple. just put it on the root of your SD card and install from SPrecovery.
  5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

May I ask why you would want a different kernal?? What do different kernals do for your device?
  6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

the kernel is what allows you to overclock and wifi tether and such. the kernel directly controls the hardware. it's pretty much the heart of the whole O.S.

my last reason for switching kernels was because of heat issues. AdamZ kernel was running really hot on my phone. i heard another member say that ChevyNo1's kernel runs much cooler, so i figured why not try it out and see it it helps. it definitely did. my temps are much cooler now even when running at a higher clock speed.
  7. banderbe

banderbe New Member

I updated to chevy's kernel over droidmod and temps seem about the same.. perhaps one to two degrees cooler.

Also, SetCPU doesn't work now. :(
  8. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Okay cool! Thank you so much for the explanation. I learned something new today :icon_ banana: