1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

kernals

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by priapism1, Dec 12, 2010.

1. priapism1

priapism1 New Member

whats better to have, low voltage or standard voltage when overclocking?
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Low voltage will run cooler and yield better battery life but, not all phones can run lv or ulv.

DroidForums junkie!!
  3. priapism1

priapism1 New Member

will i only know by trial and error?
  4. Droid DOES!!

Basically because not all phones are the same. Make sure you create a backup before you do anything though...can't stress that enough! Can be a life saver! :)

DroidForums junkie!!
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Install the kernel you want to try. Use SetCPU to adjust the speed of the processor in increments. When you go too far for your phone you'll start noticing more force closes and home screen wont refresh. Things will lock up. You'll find yourself needing to pull the battery more often.

These are indications your phone doesn't like lv or ulv. If you don't experience the freezes and force closing then your phone likes lv or ulv.

If you push the phone too far it wont even boot. This is where you will want a good backup of a working set up. It will always boot into recovery. Doesn't need the kernel layer for recovery. In recovery you can restore the last backup of the working setup then grab another kernel and flash it. It may take some time but through trial and error you will find a kernel you like. Its completely dependant on the phone and no one can really tell you what is best.

I can run low voltage kernels up to 800 or 900 MHz tops. If I want to go 1000 then I have to go standard voltage.

Nate
  6. priapism1

priapism1 New Member

before i rooted my droid i used quadrant standard to run a benchmark and it came in at 855mhz "unrooted". do i really need to add a overclock kernal to make it faster and will it really make my phone faster?
  7. Droid DOES!!

That's not your CPU frequencies

DroidForums junkie!!
  8. priapism1

priapism1 New Member

what does that mean then?
  9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Its just a benchmark score to compare to other devices. Adds all sorts of scores from the various tests and totals them into the benchmark. 800 is petty good for an unrooted phone. I just scored a 1300 something with a 1000 over clock. So you can see that an oc kernel will make your phone go faster.

Nate