1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Kernal Flashing

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Cdjones187, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Im in need of a little help. Can someone point me towards where I can get more information about flashing kernals and where I can get custom kernals for EpicMod/CM6, it would be much appreciated. I know i can get them and install through rom manager but im having problems installing using rom manager and would like to know an alternative way of doing it.

I probably could of searched the threads for an hour or more to find the info i need but im not really sure what section to look in. So sorry if this has already been covered by another post. Thanks in advance!
  2. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

P3Droid has some nice kernels for Cyanogen Beta 6 RC 1.

Check them out here:

P3Droid Kernels

Following that, just download the one you want for Froyo(2.2) at the bottom of the page. 250 mHz are usually more stable than 125 mHz. The best battery life is usually achieved with the Low voltage kernels, but again that is also up to you.

After downloading this or transferring it to your Droid's SD card, run Rom Manager>Install from SD card. Then find your downloaded kernel in the .zip or .rar file, select it, then follow the on screen instructions. Make sure to backup as well in case the kernel does not install properly.

It should then boot to the bootloader, install, then restart like a normal rom installation.

Hope you enjoy your new kernels!
  3. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Thanks for the fast reply, ill definately check out P3Droid. Is there any other way to do this other than Rom manager, for some reason all i have is problems with it. Right now it wont boot into Clockwork recovery, just sits on the motorola screen. Ive flashed and reflashed and still wont load recovery. Any suggestions? Can i flash back to SPrecovery rename the kernel file update.zip and flash it that way?
  4. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

Rom manager should let you flash between SPrecovery and Clockwork. Look on the top and bottom options in ROM manager and there should be an option for "flash alternate bootloader" and also "update Clockwork recovery". I'd recommend re-flashing clockwork since there was an update today that may fix your issue. If not P3Droid also has instructions for an SPrecovery update.zip at the top of his page.

I'd encourage the use of clockwork though as it receives more updates than SP and also supports Rom Manager.
  5. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

I got clockwork recovery to finally load, for some reason it has problems loading from the 16gb sd card that came with the phone. I head from a friend that using SD cards over 4 gb are hard to root/flash with. this true?
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

That's not true with the Droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

No issues here w/ Droid 1.0 and the default 16 GB card. Try backing up your SD card and then formatting it if continues to have issues. Then restore your data and try again.

I believe there may be a few blocks of corrupted memory, however I haven't heard of this error before.
  8. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Got everything running like i wanted now. Running Matt4542 Epic Rom v1.1 with 1.2Ghz kernel, SO FAST! Ill backup my sd card and format it and see if that works. Thanks for the help!