Keeps shutting off, have to pull battery

sierrapuppers

Reaction score
So after 1 week my bionic screen goes blank. Pushing the power button does nothing. I have to pull the battery to get it to restart. It does it randomly...after its been idle for a while. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
My 2 used to do something similar randomly as well until the recent firmware update. Sometimes it would do as yours did, and sometimes it would restart on its own. I think it has something to do with a power issue as it never happened when it was getting power through USB, only when the phone was operating on the battery. Unfortunately I never found a fix on my own.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

dberthia

Reaction score
After over a week with no issues, I started seeing this yesterday. Happened again today. Frustrated!

Last edited:

jayrod718

Reaction score
This is due to the battery performance mode. This was a known bug in the atrix and setting the battery mode to performance will fix your issues. Even though the battery modes are limited to during the night it messes up during the day to.

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
a trick to use instead of pulling the battery is to hold the power and both volume buttons for 10 secs will reboot to fast boot and the press vol up and your phone will reboot.

What is the point of "hold ... both volume bottons" as volume ROCKER can go EITHER go one direction or another BUT NOT BOTH?

revelated

Reaction score
What is the point of "hold ... both volume bottons" as volume ROCKER can go EITHER go one direction or another BUT NOT BOTH?

He means...hold down power and Volume Down. It will bring up the menu for powering options. While still holding Power, tap Volume Up, and the phone will reboot.

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
Holding the power button by itself will bring the power menu. Volume bottons do nothing. I think combination of power and volume buttons work during the boot but not while phone is on

revelated

Reaction score
Holding the power button by itself will bring the power menu. Volume bottons do nothing. I think combination of power and volume buttons work during the boot but not while phone is on

Your reply indicates you didn't even bother trying it. How about TRYING IT the way I describe before you reply? DO exactly what I said and see what happens.

revelated

Reaction score
I did try. Anybody can confirm power vol down then up reboots?

Ok, I think I see the problem.

Instead of holding Volume Down, hold the button where it grooves in the middle, so you're pressing both. Hold that and Power until the menu comes up, then slide your thumb to Volume Up. That should do it.

catbert234

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions on rebooting - my dissatisfaction is with the fact that this occurs at all - my phone has randomly powered down on 5 occasions now - once in the middle of a call, which was EXTREMELY disconcerting. Pretty much my opinion is that the dang phone should stay ON.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
So after 1 week my bionic screen goes blank. Pushing the power button does nothing. I have to pull the battery to get it to restart. It does it randomly...after its been idle for a while. Any ideas?

This is affectionately known as the BSOD. The good news is that by most reports the forthcoming .901 update resolves it. Unfortuantely, nobody seems to know when it will be pushed to more than the group that got it in error. If you want to install it in advance you can check out this thread. Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)