keeping unlimited plan

706woodman

Reaction score
I'm am told that to update from my dx to a 4 g phone to keep my unlimited plan I can purchase a used phone and have it activated with no change in my plan.is this true? Also the biggest thing I need to know is, I have a umw 190 that played out and I want to replace that with the 4g jetpack from Verizon. Can I purchace one off ebay or somewhere and keep my plan just like the phone?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes its true... the only way you will lose unlimited data is if you buy a phone at a subsidized price from someone..

Getting used or even brand new at retail, will not effect your plan.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Check our sister site, androidforums.net
Or swappa. Just be careful if you go to Craigslist list.. if the phone is reported stolen, it will not be able to be activated.

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
re unlimited

Thanks for your reply
So I'm guessing it would be the same for a broadband device? Also if I could ask what does bad e s n mean?

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply
So I'm guessing it would be the same for a broadband device? Also if I could ask what does bad e s n mean?

Esn is electronic serial number and if a device is reported stolen they put the esn into what's called a blacklist and then that phone can't be activated again.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i don't think you can upgrade to a 4g device and keep unlimited.

edit - i was wrong according to VZW you can . i would still call them first

Last edited:

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I think you can but you have to call cc and have them send you a sim instead of going going into the store

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
Just talked to two people at Verizon and they said, I have a 3g modem and if I get a 4g device, no matter where I get it from I will lose my unlimited plan.but about a week ago a Guy at the same store told me I could buy a phone anywhere except Verizon and my plan wouldn't change. Don't know who is correct.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
706woodman said:
Just talked to two people at Verizon and they said, I have a 3g modem and if I get a 4g device, no matter where I get it from I will lose my unlimited plan.but about a week ago a Guy at the same store told me I could buy a phone anywhere except Verizon and my plan wouldn't change. Don't know who is correct.

The first gentleman is correct.

dscan

Reaction score
You will not lose your unlimited plan. I have a friend who changed to a Lucid 4G and still keeps his unlimited plan. On another note, I also switched from an HTC Desire to a Razr this past week and did not lose my unlimited. (May differ due to Alltel buyout/merge.)

As long as you do not use an Upgrade, and you buy the phone at full price or pre owned through a 3rd Party, you will not lose unlimited.

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
re unlimited

Ok that's what I thought, but what about replacing my 3g modem with a 4g MIDI 4620l? Will this process be the same?they told me to go from 3g to the 4g I will have to up grade and their was no way to do so without giving up the unlimited plan.I would. Be happy to purchase the mifi from some one if I could do this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
706woodman said:
Ok that's what I thought, but what about replacing my 3g modem with a 4g MIDI 4620l? Will this process be the same?they told me to go from 3g to the 4g I will have to up grade and their was no way to do so without giving up the unlimited plan.I would. Be happy to purchase the mifi from some one if I could do this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

If you purchase the MiFi from a third party, you should be able to keep unlimited data.

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies you have been very helpful, think I'm just going to purchase a used one and see how it go's
so what about the similar card? I think you guys are saying that they can just give me one or they may charge me 20$? Should I take the device to the store with me or just go in and request one?

kevins686

Reaction score
Esn is electronic serial number and if a device is reported stolen they put the esn into what's called a blacklist and then that phone can't be activated again.

So does that mean if you and your crew barge into your local Verizon store with shotguns and dead president masks and make off with all their NIB smartphones, those phones will be as good as bricks?