Keeping SMS notifications without displaying message itself

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello,

I have a Pro, using Gingerbread (2.3.4, to be precise). Is there a way I can be notified in real time when an SMS/MMS/text message comes in, but not have the message itself show on the screen?

In other words, I want to have to open the Text Messages app itself in order to read any part of the message, without having to disable notifications altogether.

If this has already been asked and answered, please accept my apologies and point me to the response. Thank you very much!

Jeff Deutsch

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!!

I don't believe you can do that with just the stock messaging app. If it does have the ability to do so it would be in the settings menu for the sms app itself. If you do not see it in there the only way to do it is to use an app like Go SMS Pro or Handcent from the Play Store.

OP
JeffreyDeutsch
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Thank you very much for both your warm welcome and your response. Can't say I'm terribly surprised.

What app(s), if any, do you feel comfortable recommending?

Thanks again!

Jeff Deutsch

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have been using Go SMS Pro for quite a while now. It does have a lot of different functions and settings so it can be a bit time consuming to get it set up to your liking but in my opinion it is worth it.