Keeping phone away from dust?

Hypnotic

Reaction score
So Verizon is sending me a new droid for having dust under the screen and I was wondering if anyone knew how to keep this from happening again.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
as silly as this might sound, i have a very small microfiber lying around. i like to keep it over the ear speaker, so dust doesn't get in there.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
another good way to prevent dust is not putting it in your pocket. try picking up an external clip on case?

eliassami5

Reaction score
Ziploc bag? Lol its gonna be almost impossible to keep dust away from anything..especaly if that something lives in your pocket for extended periods of time. What i do is once in a while when i see dust in my ear peace i just suck it out...when nobody is around of course.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Normally dust shouldn't get under the screen , the phone has a seal between the glass and screen . If it gets there that's from a defective on incorrectly positioned seal . I hold mine in my pocket all the time and no dust got there , but I have friends who work in really dusty environments and still no dust under their Droid's screens .

crspang

Reaction score
Don't use compressed air or any kind of positive air pressure to remove dust from the speaker port. Use a vacuum cleaner.

I used my phone to listen to iheart radio while sanding drywall the other day and it was covered in fine white dust, used my shopvac to clean the ports and the phone is good as new.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't use compressed air or any kind of positive air pressure to remove dust from the speaker port. Use a vacuum cleaner.

I used my phone to listen to iheart radio while sanding drywall the other day and it was covered in fine white dust, used my shopvac to clean the ports and the phone is good as new.

I've heard that using a vacuum cleaner can cause static. If this is true this could damage a circuit board. I don't know if it is true or not.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've kept min in my pocket (naked) from day 1....never a problem with dust.

Slider46

Reaction score

I've heard that using a vacuum cleaner can cause static. If this is true this could damage a circuit board. I don't know if it is true or not.

A vacuum can cause static build up. The air rushing through the hose of a vacuum causes the vacuum to become charged. If you are holding the vacuum, some of the charge will migrate to you.

For ESD (electro-static discharge) to occur you would need to touch the phone while it is grounded (i.e. plugged into a wall charger or a USB port).

In the case of hand-held electronic devices (especially the Droid since it's case is metal) ESD isn't really an issue as most devices are designed to dissipate ESD around sensitive parts of the device (internal boards, chips, etc.)

However, there is always the chance that a large enough static charge (the kind that shocks the crap out of you :icon_eek:) could damage the phone. In my experience however, the Droid just reboots with a large enough ESD.

*A word of caution though - if your Droid is plugged into a USB port and you accidentally discharge through the Droid, you can burn out a USB port of the whole USB bus. (USB bus/ports can be very sensitive to static) I've had this happen with USB flash drives.

Best thing to do if you think you are charged is to ground yourself on a lightswitch or the case of your PC.

Last edited:
R

Romple

You could put a HEPA filter in your pocket? Works for my room ;p

modette

Reaction score
I am using mine to track my dirt bike routes. I'm not worried I put it in the case it came with that then goes ino tmy inner jacket pocket on my motorcycle jacket. I'm not worried about it. Probably will use a ZipLoc bag for days I know there are huge water crossings.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
However, there is always the chance that a large enough static charge (the kind that shocks the crap out of you :icon_eek:) could damage the phone. In my experience however, the Droid just reboots with a large enough ESD.

Do you usually play with your Wimshurst machine while talking on your Droid ? :laugh: