Keeping my apps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Ben.R, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Ben.R

Ben.R New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a supporter of Bugless Beast. I keep installing the new updates. But it gets annoying installing all of my apps over and over. I'm pretty sure I saw a way in Nandroid on how to do it. But im not sure. Can someone help me out on how to do this? Thanks

2. taypotts

taypotts Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cant you just just do a data only restore using nandroid?

3. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is weird, because for me for some Godly reason, everytime I wipe data to install a new Sholes.info ROM. I log into Google and let my phone sit there for like 10 minutes. I get a notification saying that my XX Number of Apps have been restored.

I really never worried about the apps.

Guess I'm lucky or this is just a feature, and I like. :icon_ banana:

4. messenger13

messenger13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Before updating, do a complete nandroid backup (put an asterisk next to every option). After updating, go back and do a restore with your last backup, but ONLY have an asterisk next to DATA. That will restore just your apps, settings, etc...

5. messenger13

messenger13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed God-knows how many ROMs. Sometimes my apps come back, sometimes they don't. I wouldn't get too comfortable with your method. Backup your apps with ASTRO File Manager. Someday, you won't be sorry. :)

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the update.zip method, it doesn't erase your stuff.

7. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If u use gmail it backs up ur apps. In nandroid u can do a backup of data before u install anothrr ROM and then when u have it all set up u can restore data only from that backup.

8. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always back it up via Nandroid. Its just that I have wiped my /data God knows how many times like yourself and they always come back. The trick is to not have WiFi enabled. Just keep you 3G on and you should see that its actively getting something and BOOM. I have my apps back.

I have like 2GB+ in backups in a folder on my PC just in case I want to go back to a previous one.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    GMail doesn't back up your apps, it backs up your contacts. Unless I am missing a key feature somewhere.

10. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no clue. It just downloads my apps that I downloaded from the market.

11. shademar

shademar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm among those who have never had my apps come back after a wipe, in spite of having all sync methods active. I haven't paid attention to wifi settings. I'll try the nandroid data restore when I update next...

In any case, it's really whittled me down to the apps I actually use. ;)

12. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Gmail does backup and auto redownload all market installed apps to your phone upon first sign in as long as you have BACKUPMYSETTINGS enabled. The problem is getting PETES rom to prompt sign in.

Next time you flash Petes Nandroid IF you wiped data first ( I always wipe when changing roms) make sure you dont flash the Nandroid DATA from PETES rom and it will prompt you to sign in on first boot OR if you didnt wipe data then dont restore Nadroid DATA from Petes rom and all your stuff will still be there.

13. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have used most of the way you all have described, and can add only one sort of new way. When you go into Market, you can hit the menu on the phone, then downloaded apps, and then "force" the install.

One little trick that I have found that really helps me when trying anything new on the phone, be it nandroids, update, apps, etc. is to use windows explorer or 7Zip to explore every file I download. You can cruise the entire file, check out what it is gonna write and compare this to what you are expecting from the file. You can even use Notepad++ ( a free windows program) and even open things like the phone.prop file. I like to peek at all of these. Damn, there is CorpCal again.........:)

Craig