Keeping extra battery in wallet?

tu3218

Reaction score
So I bought an extra battery for when my batter dies. I have it in one of the pockets in my wallet. I cleaned it out and actually doesn't make my wallet to big, and since I always have my wallet with me, I figured it be a good place. Anyway, is this okay to do this with sitting on it?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
As a precaution I put a strip of scotch tape over the connections. I usually wear jeans so I keep it in my coin pocket. When I wear slacks there's usually a little coin pocket sewn inside the pants pocket and I also keep it there.

You should be fine sitting on it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When a lithium battery is dead it's considered to be hazardous waste. That's why you recycle them instead of just throwing them out.

I guess it would depend on how you carry it. If you carry your wallet in your back pocket I'd say no. I would carry it in my front pocket though.

eggracer

Reaction score
That's a really good idea, but if I recall from Seinfeld (George, actually), sitting on your wallet can be bad for your back. :) Any recommendations for the best place to get an extra battery? Could be a Christmas gift idea for my wife.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah, it would be in my back pocket. It will always be charged. But for an extra battery, go to Amazon. I bought my batter for $5 including shipping which was half. Verry good deal an nice to have when I know I'm gonna be away from a charger.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

googlelover

Reaction score
Thats where i put my extra battery, I actually had 2 extra batterys before, but both in my back pockets didn't end too well, only 1 was an official vzw battery, the other was a cheap one from the internet. The vzw one is tough and has lasted while the cheap one already broke in one spot and no longer works. Ever since i lost the cheap one i kept the vzw one in my wallet. Been nice and comfy since then.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
So you haven't had any problems keeping it in your wallet? My battery looks just like the one that came with my Droid.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

googlelover

Reaction score
Nope, its been perfectly fine in there, and all three of my batterys looked the same, but the cheap one was a little weird when giving the phone the percent of battery left, i mean it would say 10% id pull the battery put it back in and it would be at 40% while the other batterys from vzw would actually run down to 10%.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
okay cool..I think I'll keep it in there. Course now I'm kinda in a habit of charging my phone constantly but I'm sure it will come in hand at some point.

googlelover

Reaction score
it does, and the extra battery is great incase you get stuck somewhere without your charger for longer than a day or 2, or like me you go into super heavy use (tethering for 2 hours for friends to use ipod touchs.. haha)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hate to be the bad guy, but there is no sense in carrying an extra battery unless you're going out of town. I mean, I could imagine waking up in the morning going, "Wallet, check. Keys, check. Phone, check. Extra battery, che... God, I'm a dork."

I guess my rant is that people can't live without technology, although people have done it for years without a hitch.

If my phone dies, I take a deep breath and forgot about it.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
I hate to be the bad guy, but there is no sense in carrying an extra battery unless you're going out of town. I mean, I could imagine waking up in the morning going, "Wallet, check. Keys, check. Phone, check. Extra battery, che... God, I'm a dork."

I guess my rant is that people can't live without technology, although people have done it for years without a hitch.

If my phone dies, I take a deep breath and forgot about it.

I see what your saying, but for example I use my droid as my primary gps. I'm out a lot with friends and not always in my car where I have access to a charger. I don't want to be afraid to use my droid for gps directions in the fear of my droids battery dieing and being without my phone. I know myself, don't always truly use my phone to the extent I would like to, due to the fact I know the batteries don't last that long and I don't know want to ever be without my droid(phone). An now I can be more inclined to play games and not worry.

googlelover

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to be constantly adjusting settings as my battery ran lower, and if I stayed out anywhere on the weekend without my charger i would have a dead droid at around 10 pm. With an extra battery I can hammer all my heavy usage on my first battery (which I do a lot) and have the second as the backup which I use lightly to make sure I can still be contacted. And I love my phone.. perhaps a little too much but I'm okay with it haha.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I see what your saying, but for example I use my droid as my primary gps. I'm out a lot with friends and not always in my car where I have access to a charger. I don't want to be afraid to use my droid for gps directions in the fear of my droids battery dieing and being without my phone. I know myself, don't always truly use my phone to the extent I would like to, due to the fact I know the batteries don't last that long and I don't know want to ever be without my droid(phone). An now I can be more inclined to play games and not worry.

I guess I don't depend on my phone as much as other people, for that reason, it's a phone. I can understand using it for work, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people complaining about battery life and needing another battery just use it for entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I have an extended battery, but if I could go back to the first week I purchased it, I wouldn't have purchased it. I don't need it. I get home and still have 60% life left after a normal day of usage.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to be constantly adjusting settings as my battery ran lower, and if I stayed out anywhere on the weekend without my charger i would have a dead droid at around 10 pm. With an extra battery I can hammer all my heavy usage on my first battery (which I do a lot) and have the second as the backup which I use lightly to make sure I can still be contacted. And I love my phone.. perhaps a little too much but I'm okay with it haha.

haha yeah same..and I'm not afraid to admit it. Yeah, I would always would be cautious of what I do on my phone, not anymore.

Urbanbounca..yeah I definitely don't use it often. Its mainly on those weekends that your out all night and typically are more likely to browse web, listen to music in car, gps, etc. But that's the point of owning a droid, for entertainment and work as well. If you used a phone just for a phone, then buying a smartphone would be pointless.

Last edited: