Keep your Droid X running snappy!

dulaney22

Reaction score
Wow. Very nice guide. I thought my phone was fast before but after making these tweaks this thing is a BEAST!

No kidding. I went through and did most of what he recommended . . . fast as chit now!!

Crimsongost

Reaction score
This made a HUGE impact!! My phone WAS what i thought fast was .... now it is amazing !

Thanks
Mitchell

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
What about those of us who don't want to screw around with rooting?

What would our best options be?

I'll be getting my X next week I hope and I'll put putting Launcher Pro Plus on it right away.

After I do that...I'd love to know how to set up my X to run like a cheetah!

Last edited:

Crimsongost

Reaction score
why not root? take about 5 whole sec. and $1 if you are not computer literate. un root is just as difficult (no $1 needed). What you can do with a rooted x is amazing (this is my First smart phone, had it less than 2 months).

the information is all here, just have to use a little common sense.

Mitchell

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah if you want it running like a cheetah going to have to go the root route. All that crapware they put on it from the factory really slows it down. I ended up taking off the ATK and have not noticed worse battey life so I will let the droid handle its own memory like it is supposed to. I just used it for closing the brower, or gallery, or music, but I don't see a difference in speed.

I still have autostarts installed but don't use it much since I renamed those other programs they don't start anyway. I am going on 1day 5hours since unplugged and only down 50% battery, so I would really recommend rooting if not for getting those programs off alone.

I don't use the free tether because I really don't have a use for it, but cool option in case I ever do. One click rooting and downloading the root explorer from the market is the way to go. Check the hacks section they have very good tutorials in there.

OP
T

TheCheeks

Reaction score
I wiped my X recently and followed this guide again, but did NOT use the auto-kill when screen is off suggestion. Runs just as smooth, you will just need to play around and make minor tweaks here and there with autostarts, then it'll run just as fast without any sort of auto-killing complications that might arise.

Not to mention the more I think about the more I realize auto-killing is bad (even in this guide's sense; not talking about using the 'kill all' buttons).

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So I have noticed that since uninstalling ATK that my phone isn't as snappy as before when I closed stuff like the browser and snesoid and nesoid after using them. Especially in the messaging, it def seems to have a little lag. Might go back to it.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed that since uninstalling ATK that my phone isn't as snappy as before when I closed stuff like the browser and snesoid and nesoid after using them. Especially in the messaging, it def seems to have a little lag. Might go back to it.

Droid X has a bug where the messaging app bogs down. I doubt a task killer would help, but who knows?

bcals0087

Reaction score

I know what you mean, however i noticed some apps like my browser started to get glitchy if killed using task killer. Have you tried autokiller? I have that set to default settings except for the "empty app" setting i have set to 60. You can try messing with that however i've found settings closest to default help the phone run smooth and if they are too high its going to end processes that you'll probably start up soon enough anyways. Check it out. You can also use it as a task killer. IMO it seems like it has a better way of ending the tasks then atk does. In the app it has a link the revs website which has the background of it and his theory and facts as to why this should work well with android.

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
WELL...now this is what i have been looking for. i have a brandnew phone coming, and as soon as it gets done with its first full charge, im doing this guide. before i do ANYTHING else.

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
I wiped my X recently and followed this guide again, but did NOT use the auto-kill when screen is off suggestion.

can you elaborate

also can someone tell me what the autostarts are??

i guess i should just wait for my phone and figure it out lol. im gonna be so pissed if i get one with 2.2 and have to wait for it to be rooted again

Last edited:

bcals0087

Reaction score
From what i've heard some of the new X's they are sending out do have 2.2 on them. This could be verizon rep bull or it could be true. Who knows...

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
...oh well.. i got a feeling its gonna take a hardware mod to get into the bootloader anyways, they are prolly already working on it.

Reaction score
idk, after all of the information I've read, the OP's take on task killings still seems like a more harm than good situation. If an app isn't in the foreground or making it's presence known (pandora, music, navigation, etc.) the app gets "frozen", so to speak (as long as I'm understanding correctly). There just doesn't seem to be a need for it. Also, I check my available memory with system panel, and I'll sometimes dip below 50 and everything will still run very smoothly.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
idk, after all of the information I've read, the OP's take on task killings still seems like a more harm than good situation. If an app isn't in the foreground or making it's presence known (pandora, music, navigation, etc.) the app gets "frozen", so to speak (as long as I'm understanding correctly). There just doesn't seem to be a need for it. Also, I check my available memory with system panel, and I'll sometimes dip below 50 and everything will still run very smoothly.

I know, I don't use automated task killers and I don't kill tasks by hand. However, I also stay away from apps that run on startup--including staying away from antivirus and automated task killers. My phone's battery life is great and it runs great. To each his own, but I think the important thing is that if you do experiment with task killers, ALSO TRY IT WITHOUT TASK KILLERS. Experiment!

You've got Verizon store employees installing who knows what kind of task killer on people's phone when they buy them. In most cases, I think it's causing problems and poorer performance than without the task killers. You've got people hitting a task killing widget every 10 minutes thinking they're doing good. Who wants to do that? ALSO TRY IT WITHOUT TASK KILLERS.