Keep smart watch charging pins clean

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just wanted to share a little info about my watch, in case it helps someone else someday. I put my watch (LG G Watch) on the charger last night, like I do every night. I woke up this morning and it was completely dead. Would not respond to the charger or the reset button on the back. Tried different charging cables and wall chargers to rule those out...nothing, just a black screen. I walk with my dog every day after work and it's been really hot lately so a lot of sweat. I usually just take my watch off when I am finished and wipe it off on my shirt and let it dry for a minute or two. The charging pins didn't look dirty this morning but I cleaned them with a pencil eraser anyway. Put it back on the charger and voila....started charging (the battery totally died overnight). I guess as we head into the summer months and do more outdoor stuff, it's a good idea to clean the charging pins on our watches once in a while (if your watch has visible charging pins).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My future son in law said his iPhone no longer charges. He was getting ready to go buy another since its out of warranty and Apple said "sucks being you" because of said warranty end. I asked had he tried cleaning it with a pencil eraser. He looked at me like I had 3 horns growing out of my ears. I said "humor me". He took a big eraser with the pointed end and scrubbed as best he could. Phone charges normally now.
On any device that develops charging issues I always suggest clean any contacts you can get to with a pencil eraser first before changing this or that.
Back in the dumbphone hey days Moto phones were infamous for building corrosion on the contacts in a matter of months at most so that's where I learned the trick out of frustration and have still suggested and use the method decades later.
I'm a heavy sweater anyway so cleaning the contacts on my watch has been a must do even back in February when I first got it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just wanted to share a little info about my watch, in case it helps someone else someday. I put my watch (LG G Watch) on the charger last night, like I do every night. I woke up this morning and it was completely dead. Would not respond to the charger or the reset button on the back. Tried different charging cables and wall chargers to rule those out...nothing, just a black screen. I walk with my dog every day after work and it's been really hot lately so a lot of sweat. I usually just take my watch off when I am finished and wipe it off on my shirt and let it dry for a minute or two. The charging pins didn't look dirty this morning but I cleaned them with a pencil eraser anyway. Put it back on the charger and voila....started charging (the battery totally died overnight). I guess as we head into the summer months and do more outdoor stuff, it's a good idea to clean the charging pins on our watches once in a while (if your watch has visible charging pins).
I've been having this issue, I've kept the pins clean on the watch and on the charging base...gone over them with 100% isopropyl alcohol..it still has issues charging... I've even had to have it replaced once..

Gramesmith

Reaction score
I am using Samsung Gear S and I have faced the same issue. I think it is really important to keep your charging pin clean. It may cause the reason of low battery.