Keep S3 or return and wait for something else

OhSteelerfan

Reaction score
I needed to replace my phone last week so I picked up the S3. I wanted to wait to see how the iphone 5 will be but old phone just died. I have a week left to return it if I dont want it. I had a bionic before and really dont see that much difference. The S3 screen is harder to see in direct sunlight compared to the bionic, but the battery life on the S3 is much better. I don't like the cheap plastic feel of the S3 ... seems it won't hold up. I do like the the camera compared to my bionic but not sure its better than the iphone. S voice seems to be slower than siri from what I've read online and using s voice its slower than I would like. I know jelly bean is suppose to be heading for the S3 but that may be all that soon and the new ios will be here by the end of the month. I waited forever on ics for the bionic and it still dont have it. I would hate to keep this phone and jb not arrive till the end of the year. I think the iphone 5 will have a more solid feel and wont have to wait forever for updates. Is there something I'm missing about this phone to make it worth keeping and waiting for jb?

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I'm in sort of in the same place. My Thunderbolt just died and I didn't have a choice but to get a new phone so I picked the S3. I love it, but now that pictures of the new HTC are leaking.... I dunno. It's probably a little too big (it's even bigger than the S3) but it's crossed my mind to take back teh S3 and wait it out... but I'd have to buy a Craigslist phone to do that and I'm not sure I want to do that either.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the s3 is a good choice. but if you have doubts return it and wait to find what you want
I was going to get the sg3 but I am not bying a phone until late november early december. With the sg note 2, new htc phone, motorola having 2 or 3 phone to be released this year. By December you will have enough head to head reviews to be able to chose the weapon that best suits you.

OP
O

OhSteelerfan

Reaction score
I have a old phone of a friends I could use to get me by. I've had samsung phones in the past and never had any luck with them and that makes me wonder about the S3.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
the s3 is a good choice. but if you have doubts return it and wait to find what you want
I was going to get the sg3 but I am not bying a phone until late november early december. With the sg note 2, new htc phone, motorola having 2 or 3 phone to be released this year. By December you will have enough head to head reviews to be able to chose the weapon that best suits you.

That is what happened last year. I jumped on the Bionic in September. Not a bad phone. Still have it and am happy with it especially with ICS. But after the Bionic came the Razr almost immediately and then the Maxx soon after the Razr. I am itching for a new phone but will wait for the pre-Christmas items to pop.:biggrin:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in sort of in the same place. My Thunderbolt just died and I didn't have a choice but to get a new phone so I picked the S3. I love it, but now that pictures of the new HTC are leaking.... I dunno. It's probably a little too big (it's even bigger than the S3) but it's crossed my mind to take back teh S3 and wait it out... but I'd have to buy a Craigslist phone to do that and I'm not sure I want to do that either.
And after you get the new HTC phone, will you go and get the new LG phone 3 months later, in all seriousness, phone tech just moves too fast, what's the point, what doesn't the S3 do that handicaps your daily smartphone use. I guess lots of people have all this extra cash to burn, considering today's economy, makes me wonder sometimes.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well really, nobody here can answer this for you. If you don't think it's right, and you need a phone to keep for 2 years or more, then I'd say return it. If it doesn't feel right, you'll always be left wondering. Then as each new phone comes out you'll be like "see I knew I should've returned it..."

I also had a Bionic and I loved it. And I also don't notice much of a difference performance wise. Meaning, you won't notice much of a difference with these upcoming phones either. One benefit of the slim plastic IMO is this phone is designed to wear a case. So in a way protection with style is a selling point for the S3. My least favorite thing about it compared to my Bionic is the screen. Man I miss reading my phone in direct sunlight without an anti glare protector on. Really took that for granted.

As for JB, there's no point in basing your decision on it. It will come when it comes and there's nothing wrong with ICS. If it's that big a deal to you, then you're better off getting a phone with JB stock, cause you never know. I think it ultimately comes down to physicality. Screen size, weight, button location, physical home button etc etc. Only you know what you want.

JFrawls

Reaction score
I don't get why ppl do these posts all the time.. Ok I may be exaggerating but I have seen several... Its just not that hard either you like the phone or you don't... if you want an iPhone do what you need to do until it comes out.

What's so confounding that you can't make up your mind.... if you don't want to to wait to get JB root and flash it yourself, problem solved. I personally love the SIII I don't think the iPhone 5 is going to have anything on this phone

OP
O

OhSteelerfan

Reaction score
I don't want to have root and void any warranty. I suppose since I'm thinking about taking it back it must not be the phone for me. I guess the fact that I had earlier Samsung phones and had no luck with them is a drawback. the confounding part is trying to figure out what the iPhone 5 may have and what jb will be. Ics on this is not much better than gb on the bionic.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
S3 is the best phone I've ever owned or used. But to each their own. I can't however imagine anyone thinking a Bionic would be just as good. They either haven't had it long enough, or haven't taken the time to utilize all its features.
You have to be happy with your purchase though, so return it if you're not. There will always be something better out within 4-6 months. :D

tap'n

OP
O

OhSteelerfan

Reaction score
I'm not saying the Bionic is better. I just don't see much difference with Ics. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with the bionic.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Im the same way. I came from the Fascinate and i didn't notice much difference between Gingerbread & ICS. But hardware & feature wise....this phone rocks. Does everything i want it to and more, and with 4g, that's just icing in the proverbial cake. :)
JB to me is just another update....before long everyone will be wondering why they haven't received key lime pie. It's a vicious cycle, best not to get caught up in. lol

tap'n

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I dunno, comparing a Fascinate to a Bionic is a pretty heavy stretch. As someone who extensively used a Bionic, like I said above, it really isn't much different performance wise. Lag free screens and games with fast loading apps. Maybe the S3 is a bit more futureproof with 2gb RAM, but the difference between a 1-1.5ghz processor is going to be marginal with today's software, and probably next years. And I actually liked Bionic's version of pentile more, the glare-free tradeoff was worth any cons, which only existed if you were nit picky. At least in my opinion...

Out of curiosity steelerfan, what mistake do you refer to with your Bionic?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I want comparing the Fascinate to the Bionic, i was comparing GB to ICS. There wasn't much difference imo.

tap'n

OP
O

OhSteelerfan

Reaction score
What I mean is the Bionic was the flagship phone have last year and yet still waiting for Ics. Soon after it was out they came out with the max and forgot about the bionic. Will the same happen to the s3. also the camera in the bionic not very good and it reboot on its own at least once a week and battery life was terrible.