Keep my unlimited Data on one line and use upgrade on another? Is it possible

thrgk

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have 4 lines on my vzw acct, 2 have unlimited data for smartphones grandfathered in, 1 is a vzw mobile broadband 5gb/month card, and 1 is a regular phone. The regular phone line is able to upgrade now at a discount price. If i buy a smartphone at a discounted price, with the data and stuff could i think somehow switch the new phone to my unlimted line and keep my unlimited data plan? Or is it not possible? I just wanted to make sure if it is possible that I would keep my unlimited data and how to go about it.

Thanks so much!

vannDROID

Reaction score
I was told that Verizon no loner offers unlimited data. When you upgrade you must pay retail for the device to keep unlimited data. The "grandfathered in" clause no longer applies once you upgrade devices and you now fall into a tiered plan. It was from sources on this forum and once in the store the clerks confirmed it also.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You will not be able to keep unlimited data on a smartphone line that you are currently using..That is correct..If you take a subsidized price you lose the unlimited...

BUT if you are on a family plan and have a non smart phone (flip or non data phone) you can add a smartphone with tiered data...activate then place the dumb phone back and use the new smartphone on your current unlimited line...

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
yes that is the plan, buy for the cheaper price, then once active, reactivate the dumb phone and use the new smartphone on my unlimited line. Now can i do this through amazon the ordering of the phone or only verizonwireless.com or in store? amazon is cheaper and in stock, so if i could use them i would but i wasnt sure.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I would double check.. I could be wrong I believe Amazon makes you keep it on line for 181 days.. Maybe I'm mistaken with another one.. I'm on the go now so further research is needed for sure..

Noted 2x~4 beta

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
when ever you upgrade you lose unlimted last year i ugraded to a driod 4 and they told me i had to change plans so i did but i kept my driod 4 for 8 months and went back to my driod 2 i asked to be switched back to my unlimted plan because i changed back to the phone i started with they said no because of the contract so i am back where i was a year ago with no unlimted data plan and the driod 4 went to the trash can along with my 200 dollers

TheOldFart

Reaction score
yes that is the plan, buy for the cheaper price, then once active, reactivate the dumb phone and use the new smartphone on my unlimited line. Now can i do this through amazon the ordering of the phone or only verizonwireless.com or in store? amazon is cheaper and in stock, so if i could use them i would but i wasnt sure.

I asked about this a few months ago, as I have a smartphone with unlimited and my wife has a basic phone. I could upgrade to a new smartphone on her line and then transfer it to my line. However, her line would now become a smartphone line with a $30 data plan. Even if she wanted to use her basic phone, we would still pay $30/month for the data plan on her line, since that is the line that the smartphone was bought on. Any line that a subsidized smartphone is bought on becomes a smartphone line for at least the 24 months of the contract.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I asked about this a few months ago, as I have a smartphone with unlimited and my wife has a basic phone. I could upgrade to a new smartphone on her line and then transfer it to my line. However, her line would now become a smartphone line with a $30 data plan. Even if she wanted to use her basic phone, we would still pay $30/month for the data plan on her line, since that is the line that the smartphone was bought on. Any line that a subsidized smartphone is bought on becomes a smartphone line for at least the 24 months of the contract.

You only have to maintain the data package for as long as the smart phone is on the line. What most people do is upgrade the "dumb" phone line, then once its activated do an ESN change to the line with the unlimited data. Then you can drop the data package on the upgraded line. Make sense? :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup its possible and Mandy knows what she's talking about. I just upgraded the other day by activating on another line then transfering the phone to my line to keep my unlimited data

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You only have to maintain the data package for as long as the smart phone is on the line. What most people do is upgrade the "dumb" phone line, then once its activated do an ESN change to the line with the unlimited data. Then you can drop the data package on the upgraded line. Make sense? :)

maybe im wrong but i though all you had to do after you activated the new phone on the dummy line is, put the sim in it from the unlimited line.
i dont understand what you mean by "an esn change". i move my sim between several devices all the time, its really no different than that.

xtor

Reaction score
maybe im wrong but i though all you had to do after you activated the new phone on the dummy line is, put the sim in it from the unlimited line.
i dont understand what you mean by "an esn change". i move my sim between several devices all the time, its really no different than that.

You have to go on your account online and switch esn #, switching sim cards is a att thing and doesnt work on vzw, or you can call vzw and they will do it for you, they may charge for this. Esn # is like the serial number for your phone, hope this helps, I've done this more time then I can count

sent from a note yee

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to go on your account online and switch esn #, switching sim cards is a att thing and doesnt work on vzw, or you can call vzw and they will do it for you, they may charge for this. Esn # is like the serial number for your phone, hope this helps, I've done this more time then I can count

sent from a note yee

ESN = electronic serial number. To be more accurate LTE devices use an IMEI.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

sent from a note yee

I gave my gnex to a friend a few months ago when he broke his, so I called him just now to ask about this. He said, he just popped in his sim and that's it. Been working fine on his account ever since.
Sent From My RMHD