Keep IM clients connected?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
How the heck do we keep chat apps connected?

Every App I have used always disconnects in the background either when you leave the phone alone for a while, or start opening other apps etc...

Its annoying because I use the eBuddy app, but unless I leave the thing open 24/7 its just going to disconnect when im doing other things on my phone.

I'm guessing the Android OS is killing the app from memory so it can be used for more recent apps or tasks.

What about people looking into getting swap space to work over the sd card? Would that extended "virtual ram" keep my ebuddy from disconnecting as often?

Anyone have any ideas? This basically makes these programs useless if you let the phone idle or attempt to do anything with it other than leave the chat app open on the screen.

This is really frustrating. I want my chat connection to be reliable while multi-tasking, so if someone needs to message me I know I'll receive it.

billyidle

Reaction score
I use EasyRoid for AIM, and AndChat for IRC. Neither of the two ever disconnect. Have you tried other programs? Maybe you are losing the signal?

Silver Member
Reaction score
Meebo always stays open for me, although I can't speak much to the state of the connection. They improved it a while back but now it seems to flake out again.

You could always set up your IMs through GTALK.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
Meebo always stays open for me, although I can't speak much to the state of the connection. They improved it a while back but now it seems to flake out again.

Doesn't Gtalk only work for gmail buddies?

Silver Member
Reaction score
GTALK (online) allows you to setup an AIM connection. Not sure how to get it to work on the phone. I've seen a few sites that say you can connect to any Jabber account with GTALK.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
GTALK (online) allows you to setup an AIM connection. Not sure how to get it to work on the phone. I've seen a few sites that say you can connect to any Jabber account with GTALK.

I see I've never heard about this before so thanks for the info :D

liquidzoo

Reaction score

My GTalk app keeps signing me out all the time too...

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
well its not a connection issue. I also have wifi at my home. its more of an issue how the phone handles memory. it closes apps out on the background if you need memory for more recent apps. I use msn so aim and irc apps don't help. I read that setting accounts through gtalk requires you to run server software on your pc. if my pc got disconnected, so would my accounts then.

meebo is just as bad as ebuddy when it comes to holding a connection.

android just downy sport a way for third party apps to stay active in the background. its how android manages memory.

im hoping if we get swap with the sdcard that it will improve the issue. ice noticed the gtalk app docent suffer from this problem though.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
meebo keeps on all the time also. i set it to reconnect automatically...so it connect itself when i lose connection.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
but how often do you open the app again to find it needs to reconnect? that means it didn't connect until you opened it again

mtbhk44

Reaction score
Other than Gtalk, I found Yahoo and Meebo just drained the hell out of my battery. A little off topic, but whatever :)

billyidle

Reaction score
but how often do you open the app again to find it needs to reconnect? that means it didn't connect until you opened it again

With EasyRoid and AndChat, I hardly ever open the programs, unless I have a new Message, and they are always connected. No matter how many apps I run for how long, those two never close, or disconnect.

JamesX

Reaction score
I only get disconnects when I drive out of the range of Wifi and it skips to 3G.

If I turn off Wifi and just use 3G straight, I don't remember ever being DC-ed on my every day schedule.

It is obvious that if I lost cell signal I would dc, but that is to be expected.