Keep Gingerbread or go back to Froyo?

nwh10

Reaction score
I'm new to Droid 2 (coming from LG Ally) and am liking it a lot. One thing that drives me crazy with Android in general is the slider thingie to answer the phone--you need good aim, good coordination, a good grip on the phone--generally a major pain.

There's an app called Advanced Telephone (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lab1945.advphone&feature=search_result) that works well for me. It has a nice big answer button that just has to be touched to answer the phone. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well under rooted Gingerbread--when a call comes in and the phone is asleep, the big buttons don't appear. This is really a deal killer, so GB doesn't look like a good choice for me.

I've googled this problem, and as I understand it, GB prevents access to the portion of the software that allows control of answering behavior. That really clinches the decision to go back to Froyo unless there's information I haven't found yet.

Input/suggestions welcome.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've recently gone back to stock (rooted) Froyo on my D2, and it's actually much more enjoyable than I remember.

OP
N

nwh10

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I went back using ezSBF, which worked perfectly, so the process wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.

Khiraji

Reaction score
I came from a dumbphone (non-smart phone) and the call answer slider was a bit weird at first... but I eventually got used to it. I'm running rooted GB on my D2, and I've had wayyy fewer problems than I had under Froyo. At this point I kinda don't care if GB ever officially drops (except in the case of my D2G brethren, who are left out in the cold =/)

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I do not use Gingerbread but I have an app Battery Indicator that has an option to get rid of the lock screen. I love it. Unless you literally turn your phone off you never see that screen again. You might try it if you go back to GB and see if it solves the problem.

OP
N

nwh10

Reaction score
chrstdvd,
It's not the lockscreen I'm having trouble with, it's the technique for answering the phone.