"Keep Awake" bug?

Darkbmx76

Reaction score
I have done a little research as to what the "keep awake" bug is. To my understanding, its just that the phone doesn't completely go into standby when shutting off the screen. ( <---- keep in mind I am a junior droid, haha). Anyway, I am assuming I am one of the few who are experiencing this problem. In the pics below you see that I don't exactly have the best battery life, which is set exclusively to 3g and 0% brightness. I believe the ICS bug is reason behind it. 2 hours of screentime and 4 hours of awake time..doesn't make sense to me. Any help appreciated.

epphllps

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I came from a razr to the nexus, which I have had for 2 days now, and I saw that I had VERY similar figures in regards to the pictures. Almost 2 hours of screen on time but nearly 4 hours of awake time. Almost dead at around 7 hours. Sucks to deal with this so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running Axiom 2.3 and not new to android but have been with the razr and have not kept up with anything nexus until now. Thanks

captdroid

Reaction score
Maybe try Screebl in the market... IDK if it will help with this issue but my battery life is fine even with moderate to heavy use. I read somewhere that pressing the power button to turn off the screen causes this issue. I usually don't just letting Screebl turn off the screen. IDK really because I haven't tried running without Screebl since I like the functionality.

I just been running stock rooted battery life is way better then my D1.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've read that this bug is a result of using the power button to put the screen to sleep. If you let the screen time out and go to sleep it does, but if you use the power button it doesn't. Also this:

Originally Posted by franciscofranco
Hi everyone.

Important stuff:
About the battery I want you people to test this: Reboot your phone, then after it booted up open up Camera, then close it. I think we have the same bug as we had on the NS. Google Talk Video version opens the camera during boot and its sensor gets fired up and since the camera isn't closed the sensor just stays there open in the background wasting battery like there was no tomorrow. Opening and closing the Camera after booting up closes the sensor and then the GN enters in Sleep mode just fine (easy to check with Cpu Spy). If more people can confirm my initial testing then we may "have" found one of the possible battery drains when the phone is idle.

(BTW, this guy is serious android guy. I think his main claim to fame is in creating kernels.)

And here's my solution: Use the Axiom roms. I think DroidTh3ory started fixing this issue in 2.1 or 2.2. His Axiom 2.3 and 2.4 seems to deal with this issue now.

Good luck.

Reaction score
And how do you "close" the camera? Go to apps and force stop?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I've read that this bug is a result of using the power button to put the screen to sleep. If you let the screen time out and go to sleep it does, but if you use the power button it doesn't. Also this:

Originally Posted by franciscofranco
Hi everyone.

Important stuff:
About the battery I want you people to test this: Reboot your phone, then after it booted up open up Camera, then close it. I think we have the same bug as we had on the NS. Google Talk Video version opens the camera during boot and its sensor gets fired up and since the camera isn't closed the sensor just stays there open in the background wasting battery like there was no tomorrow. Opening and closing the Camera after booting up closes the sensor and then the GN enters in Sleep mode just fine (easy to check with Cpu Spy). If more people can confirm my initial testing then we may "have" found one of the possible battery drains when the phone is idle.

(BTW, this guy is serious android guy. I think his main claim to fame is in creating kernels.)

And here's my solution: Use the Axiom roms. I think DroidTh3ory started fixing this issue in 2.1 or 2.2. His Axiom 2.3 and 2.4 seems to deal with this issue now.

Good luck.

I was going to say basically the same about the power button, but that's an interesting explanation about the camera! DancingNexus

cvhovey

Reaction score
Not sure if there is any one solution to this, however I had been following a thread over on x*a on this issue. In my case, and based on scouring pages of that thread (didn't bookmark it, tho) and using BetterBatteryStats (its available free by the dev on x*a or as paid app on Market) I found a few culprits in my case. If someone really wants that link, I will try to dig it up, though it takes time wading through the GSM vs. CDMA posts to find useful tidbits. But here are a few things I've found on my phone:

-- even with wifi off, when I left the wifi sleep advanced setting at "always" it was keeping my phone awake for a significant amount of time so changed wifi on setting to either 'when plugged in' or 'never', resulting in much less awake time

-- with Google+ loaded, but opting to NOT sync photos, there was a fair amount of awake time from attempting to sync photos, so deleted Google+, resulting in less awake time

-- Talk was also accounting for awake time, even when I was signed-out, so disabled Talk within Settings, resulting in less awake time

Since I've recently switched ROMs and kernels twice in the past two days, I'm going to be watching my Partial & Kernel Wakelocks (via BetterBatteryStats) more closely again ... but in fact, looks like I need to swap out the latest IMO exp kernel now as in checking, I'm showing 1h 13m Kernel Wakelock due to "vbus-tuna_otg" which hadn't shown up on any previous kernels to date.

Whether this all is an ICS bug or some apps just not playing nice with ICS ... hopefully someone can figure it out.

Reaction score
My ¢.02...its PURELY "Android OS" sending or receiving data. When I turn off data the phone just sips battery power. Maybe 1 or 2 % loss per hour (if I don't turn the screen on). With data on it will loose 10% per hour easily (again this is with the screen off the whole time). Best option I've found to work so far is using an app that turns my data off automatically when the screen is off. Only problem with this is you get no emails, app notifications etc. until you turn your screen back on. Texts and phone calls still work normally however MMS will not come through. I've been using Battery Defender to do this but I'm sure just about any other battery type app can do the same. So as far as I'm concerned Google needs to fix what ever it is that "Android OS" is sending and receiving in the background or battery life will continue to suffer. And btw I have wifi off and Google Talk & Plus disabled since day one of owning my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been using Franco's kernels for the past 3-4 days and I can say that Keep Awake time is no longer an issue for me. I do follow his advice about after a reboot open the camera and then close it. I go one step further and force close it in apps. YMMV!!

BTW, I leave my wifi sleep policy on "Always" 100% of the time. I've never done anything other than that for years now. Just adding another data point to the graph.