K9Mail and Android mail client

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FractalBob, Jun 7, 2010.

1. FractalBob

FractalBob New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know which release, if any, of K9Mail corresponds to the standard Android mail client as distributed with the OS?

Bob
  2. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

You mean which version of k9mail is the same as the standard client? I don't know, maybe the first?

I guess I don't exactly know what you mean. k9mail was started as an attempt to take the code from that standard client and make a better email app. It's been evolving ever since.

I'm using k9mail 2.709, and it includes all of the features of the original email app, and more. Personally to me all that is left with k9mail is tweaking the UI to make it easier to use.
  3. FractalBob

FractalBob New Member

Yes, that was my question. It's not clear whether the first release of K9Mail is identical to the "stock" mail client included in the OS. I'm hoping to get a definite answer, as I prefer basing my own mail client on the original.
  4. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

I haven't tried this, but couldn't you download the source for Android and grab whatever is used for that default Email client?

If not, you can ask the guys at k9mail what they did, since they're all about making a better email client they would probably help you.

Also, out of curiosity, what are you planning on with your own client?
  5. FractalBob

FractalBob New Member

Yes, I could download the Android source, but I still need a license to use and modify it, which we have with K9mail but not with the Android source.

I was hoping they'd be monitoring this forum, but in case they're not, I'll follow your advice. Thanks.

I'm implementing dynamic content on Android (see Ever wanted to change that e-mail you just sent? for details). Basically, it enables the sender of an e-mail to retain control of a message after it's sent. For example, the sender could change the message content at any time, even after it's been read by the recipients.
Search tags for this page

android change default mail client

how to define a default email client on android
set default email clent android
set default email peogram android
what is android default email client