K9 mail users help

nacho220

Reaction score
I am starting to like the K9 mail app for my e-mail needs. However for those that prefer to app over other email apps I have some questions that might help my experience even more.

Is there a possibility to create an inbox that only shows "new" mail as opposed to both "new" and "read" mail. When I read a new mail, it then would disappear out of the folder and into a read mail folder.

Additionally someone reviewed the app on Appbrain

<<Excellent mail client. Being able to disable pull mail is a big plus for me. I only want to be alerted to emails when I manually check for new ones.>>

How do you do this, disable pull mail. I'd like to be able to only alerted to emails when I manually refresh and check my inbox (just like signing in using a computer I suppose). It seems as if this might be some drain on my battery and I feel this might help. The stock e-mail app allows for checking of new email at certain intervals (every 15 minutes, 30, 1 hour, etc...). I guess that would be the feature I am looking for on the K9 mail.

Also, why does sometimes the reply button come up on some emails when you view them, and sometimes it doesn't...you have to hit the menu screen to pull it up?

I created a thread for review of any e-mail app in hopes that I might be able to find the one that fits my needs and hopefully others can benefit from any suggestions as well. That can be found here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/64323-reviews-good-e-mail-apps.html

I just made this thread to discuss the K9 mail client. Thanks in advance.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a possibility to create an inbox that only shows "new" mail as opposed to both "new" and "read" mail. When I read a new mail, it then would disappear out of the folder and into a read mail folder.

No, I don't think so. I think very few people would want this feature. Mail disappearing? No thanks, not for me. It's fine that you want that feature, I'm just saying I don't think many people would so doubtful you'd find an email client that does it.

How do you do this, disable pull mail.

There's a setting in K9 for polling frequency for each of your accounts. I think you can set it to never or many other intervals. I set mine to 10 minutes and it doesn't have much effect on battery.

Also, why does sometimes the reply button come up on some emails when you view them, and sometimes it doesn't...you have to hit the menu screen to pull it up?

I've never seen this. Maybe check that "Scroll navigation buttons" is set to "Never".

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
@aminaked thanks for your reply. I wouldn't want my e-mail "disappearing" either, lol. I don't mean literally. I mean that it doesn't sit there in my "inbox" after I read it. So that I see both read and unread emails I want an inbox that lists only "unread" or "marked as unread" e-mails, not both read and unread....if that explains it better?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I understood. You want a view of only unread messages. Unfortunately, I don't think that this is a popular feature. I think that most people don't want read messages moved so they don't forget about older messages. I can see why you'd want it to act how you've described, but it is...unusual. Perhaps you can get used to the way email clients are set up...new messages in inbox are at the top and highlighted. Older messages are below and not highlighted. Sorry, I guess I don't have much of a solution for you on this other than "get used to it". :(

Perhaps a mail widget would act how you like. I don't know, but you might want to try MailWidget from the market, or Email Popup, or K-9 Data Killer

Last edited:

BuglessFan

Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding. He's not talking about having them literally moved or hiddend or archived. He's talking about a "View" that shows only the unread regardless of folder. It's an incredibly popular feature on regular mail clients, and is used all the time from Outlook (even in OWA) to Thunderbird and all points in between. I don't care for it myself, but it's one of the most implemented (and thus probably most in demand) features across all kinds of clients and platforms.

I don't think K9 offers anything like it, about the best you can do is click on settings when in your integrated inbox and choose "sort by" and "Read/Unread" is one of the options. It won't fall out of the integrated view, but it'll pop down the list as soon as you've read it.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Thanks aminaked and BuglessFan. I don't mind getting used to it if I have to, but for some reason I would think that there a work around that would make this happen, if there isn't in fact a specific feature. I guess BuglessFan kind of said that by suggesting a sorting option. aminaked you mentioned it kind of too, by saying older messages are below and not highlighted. I have several emails, for example, from a month ago that I've "kept as new" but because of the date they are not even close to the top. In order to get to them on my AOL.com inbox, well they are right there, in my inbox, not in my "old mail" or "read mail" folder. That isn't what happens on K9 or the other email apps and I understand that. I guess the best bet is to try the sorting idea that BuglessFan suggested. I thought I went through the folder settings and such and wasn't able to find something like that, but I'll try again since I have a better idea of what I'm trying to do thanks to both your help.

@BuglessFan do you have any suggestions on email apps? I'd like to try more if they are out there. I created a thread for general suggestions on email apps here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/64323-reviews-good-e-mail-apps.html

I appreciate any suggestions in advance.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Just a comment that I just tried the sorting option that BuglessFan suggested.

<<I don't think K9 offers anything like it, about the best you can do is click on settings when in your integrated inbox and choose "sort by" and "Read/Unread" is one of the options. It won't fall out of the integrated view, but it'll pop down the list as soon as you've read it. >>

It works initially and I can tell it is doing it properly, however to a point. I have a few emails from a few months ago and back still saved as new and those aren't showing up. I'm guessing due to the date of the emails. I have about 15 emails in my inbox right now, and about 8 of them show up at the top per the sort option. Now before anyone says that maybe its because I didn't read those yet...I did read some of those 8, in fact all of them when they were "new" and then marked them as unread, or essentially new again. So that wouldn't be the difference as to why those are showing up and the 7 oldest ones aren't. At least just by looking at it that why I couldn't see that as the reason. But, hey, at least we're on to something here, lol!

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Yeah, the sort will only work on the mail that gets stored on your phone, and I can't imagine you'd store a few months of mail on it. It sort of sounds like the way you're using unread on the older messages is to make up for not being able to star like you can in Gmail, or tag like you can in Gmail and other clients. I don't think there's any way around that in the phone world, because most people only sync recent mails they need on the go. If it's a manageable number, you could always forward those to the Gmail account you use on the phone and star or tag them. You can then do a shortcut to just those messages too.

As far as clients, most of my send/receive on the phone is my Gmail, but I use K9 to get mail from my exchange server at home and from hotmail. I really only sync 2 days of the top folders on the exchange server via IMAP and only 25 messages on hotmail. I mainly just want K9 as an alerter more than a reader (though occasionally when out and about I'll read o message or two). I've only tried the stock e-mail client (now removed it), Gmail and K9. K9 suits my 2 account needs well enough that I haven't looked for more.

trbasil

Reaction score
For k9 just menu>more>settings>account settings then scroll down to the last option "Notification opens unread" and check that. When you open the new email notification only new emails will be displayed.

Then to get to your inbox (and all the rest of your emails) just menu>folder list>inbox.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Well, after a day of using K9 mail with these suggestions...I'm happy to say that it looks like these do the trick! I'm able to view my "new/marked as unread" mail first and foremost above all the others. It's just as good as having a dedicated for folder each new and read mail...so....thanks!!

Thanks to trbasil, BuglessFan, & aminaked for your feedback and suggestions. Hopefully this thread answers any similar questions others have.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
not being able to star like you can in Gmail

Don't mean to nitpick but just saw that k9 has an option to allow starring of messages. I haven't messed with it, but it is there.

nacho, glad I could help. "Get used to it" isn't much of a help though...kindof a jerky thing of me to write.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Well, that'd be the way to go, rather than using unread to "hold" or mark messages. As I say, my main use for K9 isn't full mail, but quick notice to open up a web client at work, or head over to my computer when at home, etc, if an interesting/important message comes in. Pretty rarely I'll use it to send a reply or fully read mail, but mostly, if it's mail on my phone, it's Gmail. Good to know about the stars. Who knows, maybe it even has tags/labels, I'll have to look now ;)

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies. I had to post back in this thread here now that I found this...

AOL Mail

So I set myself up to be satisfied with the K9app with all your guys help (really, thanks!) and now I see what might be exactly what I'm looking for, ha! Well I guess it kind of is cause it is AOL and thats what mail I use. After messing around with it though we'll see if I prefer K9 still ;-)

Just thought I'd share although I know you guys aren't concerned about AOL mail...but I would suppose you'd be interested to hear.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
After messing around with it though we'll see if I prefer K9 still ;-)

I no nothing about the AOL app but I think K9 has got to be better. Probably.

As an aside, anyone using IMAP can use more than one email client at a time. For example, you can use K9 and the Gmail app at the same time on the same accounts.