K9 Mail Questions

erict

Reaction score
I just installed k9 and have a few questions.

What is the folder poll frequency? Its set to never.

When I delete a message its set to do not delete from server. Please explain this.

What are poll folders? I see there is 1st class, etc. Please explain this.

I appreciate any help.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

PACanesFan

Reaction score
To answer your points.

1) Poll frequency is the time it actually goes out to the folder and re-downloads everything. Think of it like the old POP email style. I usually set mine to 12 or 24 hours. In a perfect world, you would never need to poll when you have push.
2) I'm not sure on this one. I'll take a stab at it. Delete on server means it will actually delete the message, as opposed to marking it deleted. That's a pure guess though.
3) Poll folders are things you can set. The classes are simply the things to assign. For example, if you have nested folders in your IMAP Inbox, you can set which ones poll. You may only want to poll your Inbox, and not your Drafts folder. The class settings allow you to assign what polls, and what doesn't. This is the most difficult thing to understand about K-9. Check this out for more info. WorkingWithClasses - k9mail - How to use K-9's folder class system - Project Hosting on Google Code

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
To answer your points.

1) Poll frequency is the time it actually goes out to the folder and re-downloads everything. Think of it like the old POP email style. I usually set mine to 12 or 24 hours. In a perfect world, you would never need to poll when you have push.
2) I'm not sure on this one. I'll take a stab at it. Delete on server means it will actually delete the message, as opposed to marking it deleted. That's a pure guess though.
3) Poll folders are things you can set. The classes are simply the things to assign. For example, if you have nested folders in your IMAP Inbox, you can set which ones poll. You may only want to poll your Inbox, and not your Drafts folder. The class settings allow you to assign what polls, and what doesn't. This is the most difficult thing to understand about K-9. Check this out for more info. WorkingWithClasses - k9mail - How to use K-9's folder class system - Project Hosting on Google Code

That makes sense about the "delete from server". So I understand it better I would say if you don't have it set to "delete from the server" it just throws it in your trash bin. If you have it set to "delete from the server" it's gone for ever.

As far as the poll, the default is set to never. With this said, I assume I will not receive new mail unless I manually do it, correct? Or is push automatically on as I don't see a setting for it. I am using my Yahoo account which is through sbcglobal.net.

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I used GMail and my work email through K-9. Both used push. As long as your mail service supports IMAP, it should push.

My problem with K-9 was sometimes it doesn't set the read flag. A poll will ensure the read flag gets set. So I usually use a 12 or 24 hour poll. Or a manual poll when the read flag doesn't get set on a message.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I used GMail and my work email through K-9. Both used push. As long as your mail service supports IMAP, it should push.

My problem with K-9 was sometimes it doesn't set the read flag. A poll will ensure the read flag gets set. So I usually use a 12 or 24 hour poll. Or a manual poll when the read flag doesn't get set on a message.

Yahoo is a POP3 server. Does that make a difference with push? I see the push setting but it is not highlighted. I assume I can't set a push but have poll instead, correct?

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
OK, I figured out I must poll to receive and can't push with my yahoo account. The poll works great and when the phone is in sleep mode it gives me the notification light as well. I did around five test e-mails testing the poll, notification light and also if it shows on the notification bar. All worked fine but will no longer work. I have changed nothing and it will not do the following after sending some more test e-mails. It wont blink the led if the phone is in sleep mode, it wont show a new e-mail in the notification bar. I open K9 and the mail is there but no notification at all. I have changed nothing since my first test when it was working. Any idea's?

I did turn the phone off and then back on and did a test and it worked but did a few more tests and it stop giving me the notifications again but the e-mails are there.

Last edited:

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I've heard Yahoo mail is flaky to begin with. That is the reason I switched from Yahoo! to Gmail.

As for the notification LED, K-9 uses a full color palate. Although the X can display a wide variety of colors, some combinations on the color palate do not work. It's all trial and error to find a combination that does. It's this reason and the unread mail flags that do not clear that I no longer K-9.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I've heard Yahoo mail is flaky to begin with. That is the reason I switched from Yahoo! to Gmail.

As for the notification LED, K-9 uses a full color palate. Although the X can display a wide variety of colors, some combinations on the color palate do not work. It's all trial and error to find a combination that does. It's this reason and the unread mail flags that do not clear that I no longer K-9.

Thanks for the help. Any idea why it stopped showing new mail in my notification bar? I have changed no settings from when it was all working fine.

Gmail does seem the way to go but I am receiving all my Yahoo emails in K9. So I think this is an issue with K9's program not giving me notifications either via the led or in the notification bar. As stated before, it was working fine in the beginning and just stopped doing it and I have made no changes in settings.

Last edited:

Netkeys

Reaction score
Delete from server

To answer your points.

12) I'm not sure on this one. I'll take a stab at it. Delete on server means it will actually delete the message, as opposed to marking it deleted. That's a pure guess though.

That makes sense about the "delete from server". So I understand it better I would say if you don't have it set to "delete from the server" it just throws it in your trash bin. If you have it set to "delete from the server" it's gone for ever. /QUOTE]

The way "Delete from server" usually works is that when polling you have the choice of leaving the message on the server after the transfer to your phone or computer or it can leaving a copy on the server.

This is for systems where the amount of mail storage on the server is limited. This way after downloading new mail there deleted and the space is now available for new messages. If space is not an issue then you can leave a copy on the server for future use. Also can be used if your polling from more then one email client. This is an option in desktop email software also.

This is only for the polling function and has noting to do with what you delete locally as far as deleting message.

Last edited:

Tiger

Reaction score
K9 Email

Whoever suggested K9 for forwarding emails with attachment, Thank you. This email works great with all 3 of my accounts, and I get emails faster than on outlook. Only one question whoever can help, and this may be gmail issue.

When I compose email in gmail account, as soon as I go to pick attachments, when it saves as draft, I get a blank (unfinished) copy of my email into my gmail account inbox. Actually, even the finished product, it sends two copies for me, like it automatically sends me a copy. This is not the case with SBCglobal account. Any suggestions?