K9 - Fetching & Folder Poll

estochin

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bionic from a Storm 2. So far - SO GOOD!!

I have 5 POP e-mail accounts set up in K9

My K9 question is:
What is Fetching?
and
What are the Poll Folders and Folder Poll Frequency settings?

Poll Folders offers several choices: 1st class, 2nd class.... Not sure what is best?
Folder Poll Frequency offers several as well - I have chosen 'Every Minute' - I suppose this is good.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

Ivory Bill

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bionic from a Storm 2. So far - SO GOOD!!

I have 5 POP e-mail accounts set up in K9

My K9 question is:
What is Fetching?
and
What are the Poll Folders and Folder Poll Frequency settings?

Poll Folders offers several choices: 1st class, 2nd class.... Not sure what is best?
Folder Poll Frequency offers several as well - I have chosen 'Every Minute' - I suppose this is good.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

For folder classes: https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/wiki/WorkingWithClasses
For other stuff: https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/wiki

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are the Poll Folders
They're not relevant to POP.

Depends on what you mean by "good" (keep in mind words like that are highly subjective and fairly meaningless without context or qualification). With pull accounts, frequent polling decreases delivery times but reduces battery life. You have to balance it out to meet your specific requirements. Don't assume that your preferences and circumstances are universal.

Things were different on your Storm. In the Blackberry world, BIS is what actually polls your pull accounts. BIS can automatically adjust polling intervals based on the activity of your POP account. Since BIS isn't on your device its polling intervals don't affect your battery life. BIS then efficiently pushes new mail to the BB. There's no BIS equivalent in the Android world. Gmail's mail fetcher is similar but operates on fixed polling intervals, IIRC.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's something I wrote a year ago in a thread about battery consumption:

Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

Bottom line is why have your phone go and check for new emails when Google will do it.

Good luck.

OP
E

estochin

Reaction score
Thanks to all - I now have some helpful information.