K9 Exchange setup

jetpowercom

Reaction score
Thanks for an interesting contribution. Having a tough time with the Evo (on Android 2.2) and ActiveSync, and with Touchdown (both of which I believe are showing evidence of Activesync/Android issues), I followed up on a K9 recommendation for connecting to Exchange 2003, and just saw your note.

I've already spent a lot of fruitless hours on this, and with spotty HTC support (so far - we keep working to find the right person there). If I may ask, how much time did it take you to get K9 running so that it provides consistent syncing of email, calendar and contacts (Tasks would be a bonus)?

To be clear, I don't mind detailed setups, but, before investing yet more hours in fruitless tasks, I need to know 1) that it will work and 2) exactly where to look, both on the Evo (to whose internal logs I would love to have access) and in Exchange (to all of whose settings I do have access), when it doesn't.

BTW, we already have a number of users on Blackberries and a BES server, syncing seamlessly with Exchange. Getting the Evo to sync well would go a long way here.

Thanks for all direction.

I'll bump this since I finally figured out, sort of, how to set-up K9 mail with exchange.

This works for Exchange Server 2003. I don't know that K9 is currently compatible with 2007.

K9MailAndExchange - k9mail - Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange - Project Hosting on Google Code
Those settings worked for me. Note, however, that for me I enter an IP address for WebDav (Exchange) server - you'd have to check with your IT.

This now works for me, but I have some other issues to resolve such as a host of error messages (which can be hidden) that don't seem to be errors, and the read/unread messages don't seem to sync for me. Otherwise, it's working well on 15 minute polling (too bad - the default corp. mail client works on push for me).

K9 is free, but if you get this set-up, I HIGHLY recommend the Pure Messenger widget (like $3 on market). This app is awesome! Put a full 4x4 (or 4x3 or whatever) widget on one of your screens and it will show all recent messages for up to 3 gmail accounts, 3 corp. email (will need free K9 add-in app for pure messenger), SMS, twitter, and facebook! As an added bonus, I use Google Voice for voice mail, so my phone messages (with transcripts) also pop-in because they are forwarded to my gmail - instantaneous with gmail push.

I also have the Agenda widget to integrate my calenders. IMO, this set-up now gives Blackberry a real run for it's money in terms of email/calendars, but it's not an easy set-up and does take time (most IT depts probably won't be very helpful, either, with the newness of the Droid). The Droid is a superior smartphone to IPhone and Blackberry, but we all know currently it requires a more tech-savvy user to fully harness that capability.

BigShowJoe

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same issue of getting exchange to work with K-9. I finally entered my email address in the optional box titled 'Maibox Alias' and it worked. Hopefully that helps some of you.

KaptainObvious

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same issue of getting exchange to work with K-9. I finally entered my email address in the optional box titled 'Maibox Alias' and it worked. Hopefully that helps some of you.

BigShowJoe, you rule! This worked for me also!

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I had the issue too but my reason is not resolvable at this time: K9 is not compatible with Exchange 2010 because they ditched WebDAV. For now I am using the default mail client, which does work.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you use Pure Messenger widget and are rooted, he has a nice little hack out called EmailConnectorForPure that can read the default corporate mail client. Tricky to install, and doesn't work for all roms, but does the trick and I no longer have any need for K9.

Of course, that doesn't solve the issue of corp mail constantly losing sync on GB.

gloomferret

Reaction score
I had problems getting my exchange a/c to work on k9 but this is what worked eventually for me, so try it if you're having issues:

Username: my company network username (not my email address or part of my email address, which is different - may be the same for you). I didnt need the domain either. This is the same with the stock email client and iphones.

Password: network/email password

Server: webmail.domain.com (this bit you should be able to get from your IT people, or use the domain that your exchange webmail is at)

SSL is set to 'SSL If Available'
Port: 443

The bit that actually made it work was setting the Mailbox alias to my email address without the @domain.com.

Paths etc left blank.

droidone

Reaction score
Correnting Send problems

I have been using K9 for syncing with Exchange server 2003 and was successful except the first time I tried toreply to an email it would not send. In my case, I found that changing the SMTP port to 25 from 587 did the trick on the outbound settings. Hope this helps. If you were using por 25 , try 587 as most companies are now blocking port 25.

luluxiu

Reaction score
K9's for some strange reason, seems to act weird for me ... ... the first time I set it, down from Exchange Server e-mail once, but after that, it does not pull down the Exchange Server e- e-mail. I believe this is in Windows 2003/2008 server running Exchange 2008 I think.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
K9's for some strange reason, seems to act weird for me ... ... the first time I set it, down from Exchange Server e-mail once, but after that, it does not pull down the Exchange Server e- e-mail. I believe this is in Windows 2003/2008 server running Exchange 2008 I think.

luluxi, please read PM I just sent to you.