K9 Exchange setup

Pretzel1

Reaction score
K9 Email and Exchange setup errors

Ok. I've searched here and at the developers site and not getting anywhere in getting the K9 Email app to connect to my exchange server. The droid app works fine except for the fact it lacks the ability to set up your signature (and a few other thangs) so if anyone has K9 and got their webmail.company.com email set up with the correct parameters can you let me know what I am doing wrong? I have tried just about every combination I could think of. We use HTTP authentication which to me K9 does not seem to support? I get an error that goes like this:

com.android.email.mail.MessagingException: IOException at com.android.email.mail.store.WebDavStore.sendRequest(WebDavStore.java:858)

and goes on and on usually with different Java errors

'Preciate any help in advance.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pretzel1

Reaction score
ok. Am I in the wrong forum here or should I move this to the app forum.

kahuna

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue - can config k-9 for pop accounts no problem - but can't seem to get it to work with my exchange server (note the standard mail client does work with the same exchange server). If you have found a solution please pass it along -

thanks!

kahuna

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of any help with your question but I keep getting this error message.

Push error: Command: SELECT "optinal/Outbox"; response: #122# [NO, SELECT,Cannot, access, folder, 'optinal/Outbox']

I will have this error like 50 times a day. Can anyone explain what that means and how to fix it?

OP
P

Pretzel1

Reaction score
Kahuna,

I never did solve that issue so I decided to bite the bullet and went ahead and downloaded the Exchange for Android 2.0/2.1 from the market with the 5 day trial. I had a couple questions on that app so I sent the developer a few emails and he responded immediately. I also found some minor bugs which he fixed in the latest version so I ended up purchasing the license and have been very pleased that I went that route. The link is below to his webpage. Sometimes it's better to pay a few dollars for a product that works then to hassle with a free product that doesn't.

http://nitrodesk.com/

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll bump this back to the top...Doesn't seem like to many people are using the Droid for corporate email (exchange). Big reason for my purchase was to ditch carrying my regular cell PLUS a blackberry or two.

The stock corporate email client works for me as well. Can't get K9 set-up. Any ideas?

Anj

Reaction score
I'll bump this back to the top...Doesn't seem like to many people are using the Droid for corporate email (exchange). Big reason for my purchase was to ditch carrying my regular cell PLUS a blackberry or two.

The stock corporate email client works for me as well. Can't get K9 set-up. Any ideas?

I'm with you; I'm required to have my corporate email on me at all times and I had issues with the stock client constantly erasing my inboxes. Touchdown works great, but I don't want to spend $20 if there's a free app out there. Unfortunately there is, K-9, but like you, I cannot get the exchange working. The exchange URL has a virtual directory (.../owa) but once I type the forward slash in, the "Next" button disables... of course SMTP connection fails soon after. K-9 has the exchange option, there must be a way to get it to work?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No suggestions here. I just use Touchdown as well.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll bump this since I finally figured out, sort of, how to set-up K9 mail with exchange.

This works for Exchange Server 2003. I don't know that K9 is currently compatible with 2007.

K9MailAndExchange - k9mail - Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange - Project Hosting on Google Code
Those settings worked for me. Note, however, that for me I enter an IP address for WebDav (Exchange) server - you'd have to check with your IT.

This now works for me, but I have some other issues to resolve such as a host of error messages (which can be hidden) that don't seem to be errors, and the read/unread messages don't seem to sync for me. Otherwise, it's working well on 15 minute polling (too bad - the default corp. mail client works on push for me).

K9 is free, but if you get this set-up, I HIGHLY recommend the Pure Messenger widget (like $3 on market). This app is awesome! Put a full 4x4 (or 4x3 or whatever) widget on one of your screens and it will show all recent messages for up to 3 gmail accounts, 3 corp. email (will need free K9 add-in app for pure messenger), SMS, twitter, and facebook! As an added bonus, I use Google Voice for voice mail, so my phone messages (with transcripts) also pop-in because they are forwarded to my gmail - instantaneous with gmail push.

I also have the Agenda widget to integrate my calenders. IMO, this set-up now gives Blackberry a real run for it's money in terms of email/calendars, but it's not an easy set-up and does take time (most IT depts probably won't be very helpful, either, with the newness of the Droid). The Droid is a superior smartphone to IPhone and Blackberry, but we all know currently it requires a more tech-savvy user to fully harness that capability.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Hmmm... For some odd reason, K9 seems to act weird for me... First time I set it up, it pulls down the mail from the Exchange Server once, but after that, it doesn't pull down e-mail for the exchange server. I believe it is a Windows 2003/2008 server running Exchange 2008 I think.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

keiichi25

Reaction score
Looks like K9 is suffering some bug issues with mail, both Imap and Pop at the moment...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You update notification just arrived. What issues are you experiencing?

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, from what I am seeing, my default client is getting the push mail for Exchange as soon as it gets it. K-9, on the other hand, I noticed either it didn't get it or I had to force the issue. Even with the latest version. I turned on polling, which seems to be counter to what push mail is suppose to be for Exchange.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got ya! I've not successfully installed my Exchange account in K9. Therefore, I use the corporate app for my Exchange and K9 for you Gmail. While this requires me to access two apps it does keep business separate from personal.

Mike