Justice, GB ROM from source

preusstang

Reaction score
Im assuming its built from source aka cm7's base, and not based off of stock 596 (like v8 and apex)

This is not simply a renaming of the current Liberty+Apex aosp wanna be rom. He's trying to compete with cm7 and ssx.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v8

Ok, sorry but what exactly is the cyanogen mod base? I know it started back with og droid, but I thought that AOSP was the only way to create a ROM - by building off of original google code. Does from source mean they are writing ALL of the code? Without using any included or extended classes or anything?

Source means they are using the ORIGINAL ASOP. Yet the source code is only a generic code. The trick is writing/changing the code to optimize it per device.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Thank you! So there is stock - whatever stuff is there from the phone manufacturer + carrier - blur, senseUI, etc., then there is AOSP which is pure android code from google, and then built from source is AOSP on steroids, if you will, tailor fit for a specific architecture. Right?

OP
E

esmier

Reaction score
Essentially yes. You also have to realize that the stock roms are built from source as well, yet the manufacturers kind fail lol. That and they don't do updates really.

DJuse

Reaction score
This could ne cool

jonlutz217

Reaction score
Greatest 4th of july present aha. I'm not patient enough though, I hope it doesn't take long! I mean ssx came out already!?

Reaction score
Its too bad none of these roms being built from source will have hdmi... Gotta stock with something that has blur. :-(

preusstang

Reaction score
Its too bad none of these roms being built from source will have hdmi... Gotta stock with something that has blur. :-(

That alone may end it for me. Im pumped that its working in LGB right now. Im curious if it works in apex.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll post a changelog when i get it up

From the Self-Aware Droid 2 APEX GB v2.0

Reaction score
Ok, sorry but what exactly is the cyanogen mod base? I know it started back with og droid, but I thought that AOSP was the only way to create a ROM - by building off of original google code. Does from source mean they are writing ALL of the code? Without using any included or extended classes or anything?

CyanogenMod is built from the Google AOSP source, while all (or most?) other ROMs for the Droid 2/X to date are built on top of the Motorola "Motoblur" ROMs (though certain apps may be from the AOSP source). Because of the locked bootloader, we haven't been able to get ROMs that deviated too far from Motorola's stock offerings, until now, thanks to CVPS and 2nd-init! dancedroid

EDIT: Apparently I type too slow, LOL... there has been a whole page of replies since I started typing my reply!

Reaction score
It used to work in apex but with 2.0 they removed support for it. I can't in good conscience use a rom that ignores a major hardware feature on my phone, especially one so useful as hdmi. I've come to rely on it for my workout tv. :)

preusstang

Reaction score

CyanogenMod is built from the Google AOSP source, while all (or most?) other ROMs for the Droid 2/X to date are built on top of the Motorola "Motoblur" ROMs (though certain apps may be from the AOSP source). Because of the locked bootloader, we haven't been able to get ROMs that deviated too far from Motorola's stock offerings, until now, thanks to CVPS and 2nd-init! dancedroid

EDIT: Apparently I type too slow, LOL... there has been a whole page of replies since I started typing my reply!

Using your definition wouldn't AOSP liberty be the same thing as this justice? And what exactly have these devs done? Do you mean they've found a way to implement a new kernel?

Reaction score
Using your definition wouldn't AOSP liberty be the same thing as this justice? And what exactly have these devs done? Do you mean they've found a way to implement a new kernel?

I don't know much about this "AOSP Liberty" (and can't test it anyway since it hasn't been ported over to the Droid 2) but it says on the release thread that it's built on the Liberty GB base (which in turn is based on Motorola's "Gingerblur" ROMs). Justice, on the other hand, will supposedly use CyanogenMod 7 as its starting point.

As for how the devs have gotten around the locked bootloader, you can read all about it here.