just wanting to know..

Faintestidea

Reaction score
Just went to bb and was checking on the bionic. He told me not to waste my time cause its discontinued. Is he correct? And if so is the bionic still worth getting?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bionic is reaching the "end of life" and there are newer phones out there. It depends on your needs. It has a locked bootloader so if you really want to tinker with your phone, it would be best to move on.

That being said, I like my Bionic and have had no problems since buying in last September. The fact that the Bionic now free (with contract) allows you to pick up the accessories for less money. The lapdock, a $200 accessory, is now $49 (if you can find them). Plus the Bionic will be getting ICS shortly (I hope) which will breath new life into the phone. Heck, there are several ICS leaks you can install yourself, if you want to.

Last edited:
OP
Faintestidea

Faintestidea

Reaction score
Well, for my price range the bionic is the only 4g I can afford(cause I can't stand the look of the lucid) as for "tinkering" with it I have no idea what to do or how to so in lost there. I don't want to take a step backward with the Dinc2 but it does seem like a good phone overall. I'm lost :)

bobbyp

Reaction score
I would recommend the Bionic to anyone. I got mine in April and it has been very good to me.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
The Bionic is a good choice if you don't really plan on rooting and customizing it very much. It will get ICS. There are lots of good accessories for it.
It will get discontinued, won't be sold anymore, and at some point it won't receive updates from Verizon / Motorola, but it's a solid phone for the price.

nateohio

Reaction score
Pull the trigger on the bionic, you well not be sorry!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the Bionic is a great phone for the price. i got mine in may and i love it . best phone i have owend .. yes there are better phones . but its getting ICS so it will be up to date with 95% of all other devices :)

Tums

Reaction score
I got my Bionic in late February after my "Dumb" Phone decided to take a poop (granted I did own it already at that time for nearly 4 years). I had an upgrade and the Bionic was a free Smart phone so I took that chance and have love it since then. It has been pretty rock solid for me so far and a great intro in the world of smart-phones and Android!

Yes there are newer and better phones that have come out in the time since I got my Bionic but outside of maybe the SG III and Nexus I don't really see anything on Big Red's lineup (or any one else for that matter) that is completely out of this world compare to it. I still get a kick out of my friend with a brand new HTC Evo 4g LTE always asking me to "LTE" stuff since his phone doesn't have 4G (granted he will by the end of the year give or take).

I have no problem keeping this phone for another 18 months or so until the end of my contract or if I decide to purchase another phone because for me it'll be that long before I even decide to think about getting a newer phone. So overall yes I think the Bionic is a very good phone to get. If you have other options check up on those and then make a decision as to what you wanna go with. As long as you stay Android its all good :biggrin:

TatDroid

Reaction score
I think the Bionic is the best value out there right now. Not the absolute latest and greatest, but it'll be more than enough to do what 90% of users need.

OP
Faintestidea

Faintestidea

Reaction score
I can get it from work(walmart) for 50 bucks compared to bb wants 100 and verizon wants 150 I think? Bb said they would price match it if they can still order 1

deduct

Reaction score
Faintestidea said:
I can get it from work(walmart) for 50 bucks compared to bb wants 100 and verizon wants 150 I think? Bb said they would price match it if they can still order 1

Definitely worth $50. I bought mine for $300 on launch day and have never regretted it. Okay, maybe a little when the razr came out a month later. However, i would now take my ics bionic with removable battery over razr any day. Only other phone i would possibly consider right now is sg3. But, ain't no way in hell that i am going to lose my unlimited data plan over it. And i just can't afford to pay full retail for it. Besides, i just ordered lapdock for this baby a couple of hours ago.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Mike8016

Reaction score
It'a worth it. It has similar specs to the Razr maxx and you can remove the battery. Buy the extended battery though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

deduct

Reaction score
Mike8016 said:
It'a worth it. It has similar specs to the Razr maxx and you can remove the battery. Buy the extended battery though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Extended battery is a must

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

kechamb

Reaction score
When I first got my bionic I had problems with it shutting down on it's own and I would have to do a battery pull to start it up again but that has stopped happening and may have been caused by an app that I had on the phone. With regards to the phone being discontinued, all phones have that happen sooner or later and with all the changes it seems to happen more sooner than later now days. My thought is if it does what you need it to do go for it, over all it is a pretty good phone.

bhp117

Reaction score

are you signing a 2 yr contract or buying the phone?

if you're signing a contract go to amazon wireless, they're having the gnex for .01 , gs3 149.99 , razr maxx 99.00 , razr .01 but they don't have the bionic any more

but if you really want a bionic you can go to wirefly.com and they have the bionic for 9.99

i've used both sites before and they have very good customer service but i still prefer amazon wireless
both have very fast shipping also

hey if you're tight on cash just get the gnex from amazon wireless since it's pratically free on a 2 yr contract

Last edited: