Just wanted to say Thank you

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by *Luke*, May 5, 2011.

1. *Luke*

*Luke* New Member

Big Red sent me an email yesterday letting me know that I was eligible for a new phone. I took them up on their offer and side-graded to the Fascinate.

While the Droid 2 is absolutely a great phone, and I will miss the slide out keyboard, I simply wanted more customization than I'm allowed to have with a locked bootloader. I have many opinions on this subject, but I will keep those to myself. I'm not here to flame Motorola.

To all of those who have posted hints and tips and tricks, and especially to the developers and themers who put in so much time, effort, and work into making the D2 the best that it could be, thank you so much for making my D2 experience a great one!

I'll continue to check back here frequently and offer any help that I can as this is a great community that has given me a lot, and I'd like to give back as well.

Cheers,
    *Luke*
  2. ahC_hED

ahC_hED New Member

Glad your happy with moving on, as others have as well. Im waiting for some new devices to drop.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. BRAINFIRE

BRAINFIRE New Member

I second the gratitude. My droid hhas been a nice hobby for awhile now.
    Do you find that you tweak/rom around for a few months and then settle
    On something for a few months?
  4. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

I was swapping ROM's like mad on my D2 until I flashed the leaked GB....haven't looked back yet.

I too am glad to see the OP is satisfied with his move. I too am anticipating switching phone's here shortly but it will be to another Moto.....come on D3 :D
  5. *Luke*

*Luke* New Member

I actually used to flash quite a bit when I first got my D2... I was flashing back and forth between squidly's ROM, and new versions of fission, and eventually settled with Liberty 1.5 until the gingerbread leak. Since installing the gingerbread leak, I hadnt switched to anything else though =) I did however play around a lot with theming everything the way that I wanted, as well as overclock values and juice defender settings

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  6. BRAINFIRE

BRAINFIRE New Member

I miss my D1. About a week after every leak Peter Alfonso would have an almost-stock-built-for-speed ROM for download. I find the D2 Roms more problematic. But I love the processor. It's weird. I want the D3 and D1 at the same time.
  7. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Active Member

Just wondering how your d2 got eligibility for upgrade? I know mine was purchased the first day they hit the stores and that was around August maybe off by a month... anyway, when I upgraded I was early because the screwed up and sent me a flyer, when I replaced my dare a couple of times they restarted so I was technically at 2 years then... but when they restarted me, I thought I had another few months added? Maybe this happened to you?of course I know the way to get any phone I want whenever. Not to sound concieded lol, but this chick at verizon is all over me and she keeps telling me to come see her whenever and you know that LOOK? Lol... other than that how did you get sent an upgrade? Just curious, that's all. Nosey? Yes. Very.lol:)
  8. cutiedroid

cutiedroid Member

Just out of curiosity do y'all actually use your smartphones as, you know, a phone?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  9. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Wait.... you mean I can make calls with this thing??! Lol I searched high and low for a thread on this. I am a n00b I guess.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI
  10. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Active Member

I guess if I wanted just a phone, uh, you know, I would have bought a standard phone and not a smartphone. But I guess that's a little complicated for cutiedroid... you see, people purchase these for many other needed features. Some of us do not need to or have the time to talk to their teenie bopper friends...Nuff Said...lmao
  11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle New Member

I just got an upgrade notice today. I had no thoughts of doing it... till now. Aaargh.

I find that I am using the phone part of the phone less and less every month. Kind of weird to think that actually having conversations seems inconvenient.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  12. cutiedroid

cutiedroid Member

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing "needed" on a cell phone is the phone itself. Everything else is fun toy stuff. And I am probably old enough to be your grandmother. Nuff said!

13. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

If thats all you wanted why get a D2G? They sell the basic phones for free, atleast with a tablet.
  14. cutiedroid

cutiedroid Member

Because I could. And because I wanted to try Moto again. And as I mentioned before, if I'd known that these phones needed to be rooted I never would have bought one even just for a phone. I suppose that www. phonescoop. com mentions the rootability of Android phones, but just in a passing way. I didn't even know about rooting until I began to read here. That's why it puzzles me so. If I'd just wanted a phone I could have stuck with my LG-VX8300, the worlds greatest flip phone, but like you I want the latest toy too. Guess I'm just not geeky enough for them.

15. Oowoon

Oowoon New Member

There are other things on the phone for convenience. Like for example, I use 3G for looking up stuff on the spot. Or using instant messengers for staying connected.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  16. *Luke*

*Luke* New Member

I would add also that these phones aren't just fun toy stuff... Mine is absolutely a business tool, and I use it as such throughout my work day. Between calling customers, looking up specifications on equipment, sending emails to my suppliers, taking pictures on job sites for photo referencing, etc. its absolutely not just a toy... I don't have one game on my phone, I use my laptop at home for that. My concern as far as rooting it and running a custom ROM is to make it as fast and efficient as possible in the field. While I would definitely agree that a lot of people don't use their smartphones mostly for business, I think that saying these phones are just toys is very inaccurate. Theyre very powerful business tools when used as such.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  17. cutiedroid

cutiedroid Member

Far be it from me to be dismissive of the value of a person's smart phone in his daily life but you're the first person I've read whose rooted phone sounds beneficial to your day to day. Most reports here are rooting to add themes, or to overclock just to see how far they can go, or for sheer geekery. It's too bad one can't buy "basic" phones like the days of buying basic computers where one could load the OS of choice and modify to their hearts content.

18. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Well there is a performance boost. Due to the locked down boot loader of the D2/D2G were not able to OC much. I tried quickclock which claims it pushed my phone to 1.4Ghz but yet setcpu never showed my CPU ever hit more then 1200Mhz/1.2 Ghz. Milestone did claim to push it to 1.3Ghz, but honestley the performance improvement, while there, is not real world noticeable. It would improve quadrant scores and general benchmark results slightly but this is something people dont always realize when looking at benchmarks. If soemthing takes half a second to load vs a second to load, the human eye probably will see very little difference.

You also have to keep in mind how well this can benefit some of the mid class android phones because you jumped right in to the smartphone market with a high end phone. My jump to android was a Moto Backflip. The cpu was outdated at launch, let alone now. It was a 512Mhz CPU. Compare that to our phones when throttled down to 512Mhz MAX, and our phone will be the clear winner. Now I had it overclocked from 512 Mhz to about 750Mhz. That ~200Mhz jump helped breather life in to a phone that the rest of the android world treated like the red head step child of the android family. It was outcast like you wouldn't believe. Now the CPU was not the only reason for this. For example the inability to install apps from sources other then the market(unless you side load them through the PC using your USB cable) was the biggest reason.

Now our phone, no it doesnt really need an OC, but if we had the ability for a proper overclock, it would mean a real world performance gain, not just numbers on a paper. You said it yourself you like the newest toys, so certainly you can appreciate that Overclocking does have its uses.
  19. kgosselin37

kgosselin37 New Member

Steeline Home Improvements

Sheds Bundaberg, Sheds Hervey Bay, Sheds Gladstone, Sheds Gympie.
    Steel Line is an Australian door manufacturer that specializes in garage doors. The company only operates in Australia, and has since 1979.
    http://steelinesheds.com/