Just upgraded to the Epic From Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by KyleChx, Oct 10, 2010.

1. KyleChx

KyleChx New Member

So I just had my number ported to sprint and went with the Epic. Mostly b/c Evos were out and the guy assured me I could switch them out if I was not happy with it's performance.

But I gotta say,

• this thing is AWESOME! Screen is the most vibrant I have ever seen (over my gf's iphone 4).
    • the best physical keyboard of all time. The keys are responsive and 'clicky'
    • i got to demo the phone in a 4g area and that is just crazy fast and am super excited for that to roll out
    • phone is fast. It really shows how much faster a 1 ghz phone is. my droid was nowhere close to this fast. even w/ overclock
    • Samsungs interface is suprisingly enjoyable. It has just the extras that i would want (like radio on/off buttons in notification pull down).

I don't like:
    • No 2.2. Come on Samsung!

I am really going to use this phone as much as I can and swap it for an Evo just to test. If I don't like it I am going to switch back to my Epic.
  2. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

My wife has the epic 4G. Her first smartphone and loves it. She resisted getting a smartphone for the longest time. A friend of our son-in-law works on corporate accounts for Sprint and got us a sweet monthly rate for my sons Evo4G and the Epic.

The only con so far is my wife won't let me root it. :icon_frown:

Mike
  3. KyleChx

KyleChx New Member

As for rooting the phone, I still can't find a reason except for putting a 2.2 ROM on it. I get tethering w/ my plan and don't really need any ROOT only apps. Had really bad experience w/ slow downs, horrible battery life, and the constant up keep w/ custom ROMS on my Droid. So I am keeping mine stock for now!

But yea, this is a definitely a great phone that may be overlooked!
  4. Nubs

Nubs New Member

I did the same exact thing.

My Pros:
    Swype
    Sprint Media Hub
    Awesome Camera and Video
    AllShare
    Touch Wiz 3.0 is actually nice, it reminds me of the Iphone
    Tons of RAM
    Great screen
    consolidated social feeds like FB, Twitter, MS, etc.
    Built in file viewer similar to astro
    Front facing camera

My Cons:
    Enter Key doesn't send text, it creates a line break
    2.1 instead of 2.2, this is obnoxious, but supposed to be upgraded this month
    lots of crappy unused system apps i wish i could delete without root like nascar, sprint navigation and sprint hotspot, I intend to tether via root.

This phone is the sweetest phone I have ever used. I actually put it right next to an Iphone 4 and the owner said wow thats a bright screen. The epic was actually smoother in scrolling and response. Finally an android phone that stands up to the Iphone.
  5. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I wish people would stop making comments like this. It does NOT "show how much faster a 1GHz phone is" - if anything, it shows how the clock speed rating of a CPU is not a reliable measure of performance.

The difference is the CPU arcitecture, and exactly how it is layed out internally (number of piplelines, pipleline depth, FSB speed, the list goes on). With a given CPU architecture, clock for clock performance should be identical. The reason my the Epic at 1GHz feels faster than the Droid 1 at 1GHz is that the Epic uses a newer revision of the Cortex A8 design, with some tweaks. It also uses a more powerful GPU. The chipset is overall better, and thus the device is faster.

I can give you a phone with a 1GHz ARM11-based processor. And IT will be slower than an overclocked Droid, even though it's running at the same 1GHz. As a matter of fact, a stock Droid can beat an ARM11-based phone at 1GHz.
  6. Nubs

Nubs New Member

I over clocked my Droid to 1.2GHz using the Chevy Kernel and I have to say that the Epic 4G feels faster. It responds to opening applications quicker, the applications it runs, run faster. What ever the reason, the Epic 4G is faster. Maybe you have run some benchmarks that show otherwise, but perhaps part of the perception is caused the the screen and how fast the graphics are handled.
  7. KyleChx

KyleChx New Member

Honestly I could have gotten into this as well but by me stating that this phone is faster than the overclocked version OR that it was faster than the EVo w/ the same clock speed implies that statement you made.

It is like the old 2.4ghz p4 to a current market i5. Similar clock speed but SO much more goes into it. But for the market and how it is progressing at this point a clock speed battle is bound to happen.
  8. StingRay

StingRay New Member

Kyle

Did you pay an ETF to bail from Verizon to Sprint? I'm coming up on my 1 year with my Droid, but I'm considering going to the Epic because of the physical keyboard and all of the Epic's awesomeness....

hate to be out the money of an ETF, but after shopping around I really like the Epic....
  9. trowa

trowa New Member

FYI I rooted my friends Epic about 3 weeks after he got it. We pulled a few custom roms from xda-developers. At the time all of them but 1 had some bugs, like no way to send mms or reboots or locking up. The one that had no bugs he told me the battery life is twice as good as the stock version of the phone. This was using whatever stock kernel came with the rom nothing overclocked.