1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Just some clarification

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by renzc1223, Apr 22, 2010.

1. renzc1223

renzc1223 New Member

I'm a new moto droid user, just recently switched from a mytouch, and I just wanted to say that I just absolutely love this phone.

To make things short, I'm interested in rooting my brand new toy, and am familiar with the rooting process for android phones. In my personal opinion, the phone's fast but with the occasional hiccup in between. What I want to do is basically just O/C my phone, but not by much. I'm probably looking at a 800 mhz or even a 700 mhz configuration (i think 1ghz+ imo is just a bit overkill for my liking lol) and just wanted to know how I go about in accomplishing this. I'm not really interested in flashing any rom but its totally possible in the near future that I might do that, but for right now I just want to be able to keep a stock android UI, but with extra horsepower. Right now my droid is running 2.1 stock.

Searching through the forums I found this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

^^^I just need some clarification if this is the appropriate thread in which I could successfully root my 2.1 droid phone and be able to o/c my phone.
  2. zathus

zathus New Member

heres the issue with just overclocking with out a rom. if your not rooted atm then odds are you have the OTA update installed and are running ESE81. atm, no kernals that are "working well" are built for ESE81. you can overclock it, but there have been alot of issues. so inorder to do it right, you would have to downgrade (so to speak even know theres no differnce really) to ESE53. in order to do this, you would need a ROM. but, if your hell bent on just overclocking heres how you do it, first you need to go here and follow it word for word on how to get a custom boot img on a non rooted ESE81. once you have done that, you can get any of the OC kernals (I like Chevy's Kernals) in a udate form then just run it at a update. bam your overclocked. but I would really sudjust using a ROM with it
  3. renzc1223

renzc1223 New Member

thanks Zathus. would it be possible if you could point me in a stock 2.1 downgrade tutorial to 2.0.1?

oh and one more thing, as for ROM's, what do you personally recommend? I heard great things about cyano, and bugless. I'm really interest in UD however.
  4. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

I disagree with that assessment. I am on stock 2.1 ESE81 that I rooted and installed an oc kernel on. I have now used 2 different kernels and have had 0 issues with either one of them to date.

Used the thread for flashing sprecovery using rsdlite on 2.1. There is also now a zip file you can install using sprecovery to give you root access to your 2.1. Once that is done flash your oc kernel and you are good to go.

I have used p3droids low voltage kernels and the one from Team Chaos.

Sorry, I am using Tapatalk or I would post links for you.
  5. zathus

zathus New Member

Downgrade to 2.0.1, unroot or unbrick your phone follow this tread to downgrade to 2.0.1. one little key note, when using RSD lite, in the Device options, make sure to put it in first come first serve mode.

as far as roms, I personaly use Bugless beast V 0.7. I know theres a V 8 and 9, but ive tried them all incuding UD. V7 for be has been by far the best Rom eva! I love it lol. however, all phones are not made the same. so what may work for me might not be your best choice. Roms are ez to flash, I would sudjust reading over what each rom offers, test them out for a week. see if they fit you and if not give another one a try.
  6. zathus

zathus New Member

like I said in the above post, all phones are not built the same. thats great its working for you. however, the "General" View on it atm is you will get a better experiance using a build the kernals are built for.

there are some that for some reason, can NOT overclock past 600 or so with out getting TONS! of reboots. no one knows why, they just cant. its the phone. and then there are some that overclock to 1300 with out a hitch. runs like a champ. thats just the way it is. my advice is tring everything out for your self. its VERY hard to "brick" your phone. so its very ez to test out all the options till you find a combination that best fits you
  7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I'm going to add to the disagreement. Zathus, what are you talking about? My overclock kernel is not only for ESE81, but its the SAME BUILD NUMBER. Its just as stable as ESE53.
  8. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Well, I can tell you both the p3droid and team chaos kernels are built from the 2.6.29-omap1 source which is the same source used for the stock ESE81 build. Not to mention that more and more roms are built from ESE81 source, so what kernels can you use with them???
  9. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

And why do so many people still insist you flash back to 2.0.1?? Just flash sprecovery using rsd lite and you can load a custom rom from there.
  10. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

[​IMG]

Stock OTA

[​IMG]

Redrum chaos 1.1

No, this kernel isn't meant for ESE81 ;)
  11. zathus

zathus New Member

in my first rply the link to the flash sprecovery is what I linked =) only reason I linked the downgrade to 2.0.1 is b/c he asked for it lol and I guess I stand corrected! last word on the street I heard or read about is that no one had come up with a real stable kernal for ESE81. learn something new every day!
  12. renzc1223

renzc1223 New Member

do the p3droid kernels work for ese81 build?
  13. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

The p3droid redline series low voltage kernels have worked flawlessly for me
  14. Alex K.

Alex K. New Member

ChevyNo1, Adamz, and p3droid kernels all work.

Do not, however use bekit's or Jake's kernels, as they are meant for CyanogenMod.