Just saying Hi..

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
I just got my Droid Eris yesterday so I'm still getting used to it, so far I love it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tons of info here, welcome to the forums! Android is a great operating system.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome aboard Matt.

Great to have you here.

OP
M

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
I've seen that and I'm grateful as there is no actual manual.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen that and I'm grateful as there is no actual manual.

Welcome aboard, Matt! Glad to have you with us! Here's the full user guide from Motorola:

Full Motorola Droid User Guide

And remember if you get stuck or need some help, don't be afraid to ask! There's no such thing as a stupid question around here. We all just asked it sooner than you did, that's all. Hope you enjoy your time here!

:welcome:

OP
M

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
What can I do to get a ringtone to show up in my list of ringtones?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What can I do to get a ringtone to show up in my list of ringtones?

If you place a ringtone on your sd card, you can have it show up as a ringtone according to the system by placing it into folders like this...

media>audio>ringtones

For notifications...

media>audio>notifications

In other words, on your sd card, create a folder called media. Within the "media" folder, create one called audio. Within the "audio" folder, create one for ringtones and one for notifications.

Then, when choosing notifications or ringtones, those sound clips will show up according to which file you put them in!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like Jonny has you all set. Let us know if you need anything more.

OP
M

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
I've tried that method, including turning the phone off and back on with no luck.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've tried that method, including turning the phone off and back on with no luck.

Are you sure that your media folder is in the ROOT of the sd card? Meaning it's not in any other folder? Also, not sure if capitalization matters, but my folders are named media, audio, notifications, ringtones.

This works just fine for me. In fact, I was previously running Bugless Beast, and had ALL of the sound files from all versions of Android on my sd card (moved them there to conserve space) and had to "hide" them to avoid seeing duplicates.

However, my main ringtone, text notification, and notification for bloo are ALL setup using the stock ringtone/notification picker and those sound files are in the folders just as I have listed them...

If you'd just like to set a song/etc as a ringtone, and you can open it in the media player (music), press menu on the playing screen and select "Use as Ringtone. That will set it as a ringtone, and it can then be used for individuals and etc...

Hope that helps a little bit...?

OP
M

MattPHS2002

Reaction score

Are you sure that your media folder is in the ROOT of the sd card? Meaning it's not in any other folder? Also, not sure if capitalization matters, but my folders are named media, audio, notifications, ringtones.

This works just fine for me. In fact, I was previously running Bugless Beast, and had ALL of the sound files from all versions of Android on my sd card (moved them there to conserve space) and had to "hide" them to avoid seeing duplicates.

However, my main ringtone, text notification, and notification for bloo are ALL setup using the stock ringtone/notification picker and those sound files are in the folders just as I have listed them...

If you'd just like to set a song/etc as a ringtone, and you can open it in the media player (music), press menu on the playing screen and select "Use as Ringtone. That will set it as a ringtone, and it can then be used for individuals and etc...

Hope that helps a little bit...?

I'm fairly certain that is the case, I'll try the capitalization thing though as sometimes it's the simplest things that throw a wrench into the works. Thanks for the workaround though.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Hmmm, the Eris is a different little beast, but try this:

No reason to get fancy.

Use doubleTwist (many recommend this app anyway) to put mp3's onto your Eris.

Then use RingDroid (also comes highly recommended) to convert it to a notifcation.

If you're using Handcent SMS, it allows you to set a custom notifcation.

Inside of your SMS program (at least in Handcent) you can set an individual notifcation.

Use the same file structure that Jonny gave you originally and see if it works any better for you.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm fairly certain that is the case, I'll try the capitalization thing though as sometimes it's the simplest things that throw a wrench into the works. Thanks for the workaround though.

No problem! That's how I set songs as ringtones before someone enlightened me on the folders in the sd card.

If that doesn't solve your problem, go Anne's route. Eris is still running less than 2.0, isn't it? Maybe that's a new feature...I didn't have 2.0 on my G1 back in the day, but I always used the workaround, so I'm not sure if that's the issue....

OP
M

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
I believe Eris is still running like 1.5, I've heard rumors that 2.x will get pushed by the end of the quarter, but that was from the sales rep so..... For now I'll use the workaround.