Just Rooted.. Yay!!

Troops2990

Reaction score
So i just rooted dancedroid thanks a lot to MotoCache1 and his awesome guide. i am now wondering if i have to get a rom manager to install and manage roms or if it is better to just do it through SPRecovery?? Also do i clear the cache through SPRecovery before i switch roms each time?? Sorry kinda new to this
Thanks

Last edited:

EbE404

Reaction score
So i just rooted dancedroid thanks a lot to MotoCache1 and his awesome guide. i am now wondering if i have to get a rom manager to install and manage roms or if it is better to just do it through SPRecovery?? Also do i clear the cache through SPRecovery before i switch roms each time?? Sorry kinda new to this
Thanks

Opinions will vary here. Lately ROM Manager has been quite stable and reliable for me (although it has not always been in the past), but SPRecovery is certainly a viable method that has never, ever, let me down. I still make backups in both just to cover my bases.

As far as clearing cache, generally, you should wipe both cache and data before installing a new ROM.

Also, I would highly recommend Titanium for backing up apps and settings, as that will make the reinstallation process a bit smoother and quicker when getting the new ROM up and running.

jaw4bama

Reaction score
Thanks

Opinions will vary here. Lately ROM Manager has been quite stable and reliable for me (although it has not always been in the past), but SPRecovery is certainly a viable method that has never, ever, let me down. I still make backups in both just to cover my bases.

As far as clearing cache, generally, you should wipe both cache and data before installing a new ROM.

Also, I would highly recommend Titanium for backing up apps and settings, as that will make the reinstallation process a bit smoother and quicker when getting the new ROM up and running.

Yeah I agree! Oh and a great app to use now that your rooted is wireless tether that is if you need to tether. The most important thing to always remember before installing custom roms is to make a backup so that if anything goes wrong, you can always revert back. Happy Rooting!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Congrats!!! and welcome to the "dark side" LOL

I use RM and I am one of the few that have stuck with it through thick and thin. It definitely is not for everyone because you will have to have a little patience with it. Also, some will tell you that you would be better to stick with sprecovery as it is free and it is very stable. I personally like ClockworkMod for the simple reason you do not have to rename your zip file to "update" when you want to put it on your phone. With CWM you can leave your rom named the way the developer named it and load it. No changing names and all that stuff.

One thing, if you are going to use Rom Manager please get both the Premium (paid) and Free versions. They work together and in order to use RM to the fullest extent you will need both. Also, a couple of tricks to keep in mind if you are going to use RM. Try to clear download cache each time before you download anything new through RM. To do that you open RM, hit the menu key, then hit clear download cache. Also, I have noticed RM works and downloads better when you use WiFi.

Just my opinions. Enjoy being rooted, flashing different roms becomes addicting.

OP
Troops2990

Troops2990

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, so when i clear the cache using SPRecovery i select "wipe cache partition" not "wipe data/factory reset" correct?? just don't wanna screw anything up, thanks again

EbE404

Reaction score
The most important thing to always remember before installing custom roms is to make a backup so that if anything goes wrong, you can always revert back. Happy Rooting!

Yep, yep, yep. Forgot to mention that bit, but you are absolutely correct.

NEVER do anything without backing up.

One minor point is that SPR and CWR nandroids are not compatible with each other, so keep straight which one you used for what, and if you switch between the two, as I do, do important backups in both.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Welcome to the darkside. As others have said using rom mgr or sprecovery are both good. I use sprecovery myself because I want to know what is going on. Each person has their own way of doing things.

OP
Troops2990

Troops2990

Reaction score
Do you guys know what programs i can safely delete that came on the phone from the factory or what i should do with ones like the amazon mp3 store?? Also for the nandroid backup, is it better to do an advanced one and then select all the options, or is a simple backup good enough??

Last edited:

dietche

Reaction score
re:backups

Another little info nugget that I've seen floating around these forums that bears repeating is that when you name your backups *don't use spaces*. I have read a couple people's posts saying they had serious problems with that. Lastly, welcome to the *light* side, not the dark. :) You were once shackled; but no more, you're free now.

dietche

Reaction score
Do you guys know what programs i can safely delete that came on the phone from the factory or what i should do with ones like the amazon mp3 store?? Also for the nandroid backup, is it better to do an advanced one and then select all the options, or is a simple backup good enough??

You can damn sure def'nly delete that amazon crap thing.

As far as backing up, you can never back up too much. I usually go advanced and check every damn thing. Others with more knowledge may be able to tell you the specific choices under advanced that could be safely skipped BUT, really, why skip anything?

These backups are very tiny compared to my computer backups and with terabyte drives now it's easier to just backup the whole flipping thing and burp it over wifi/usb to my HD's. You can also send your backup to Dropbox using the app and having the app monitor the nandroid directory.

Also, I use Lookout to keep everything else that Google and nandroid doesn't sync, in sync, which includes pictures and stuff like that. It helps.

Lastly, don't forget to run a full copy of your sdcard at least bi-weekly, if not weekly. Viruses and trojans are starting to be made for Android so it's prudent to stay backed up often, with several prior copies kept in case you have to roll back a ways. You can strip the important, recent stuff from the newer backup and apply an older backup and be golden.
Be well
p.s. Lookout also does virus scans and can help locate your lost phone with both gps and making it scream. No, I don't work for them, I just really love having all that in ONE app and it works really well so I don't mind plugging them.

OP
Troops2990

Troops2990

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help, i am pretty excited, i got UD extreme froyo 8.0 with a p3 1.2 GHz kernel with a quadrant score of 1539.. after trying 6 different kernels, this is the one that works the best.

Nick177th

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help, i am pretty excited, i got UD extreme froyo 8.0 with a p3 1.2 GHz kernel with a quadrant score of 1539.. after trying 6 different kernels, this is the one that works the best.

Congrats! Read, read, read. 1.2 is kind of high for a person just learning root. JMHO. Monitor the heat on your device very closely. I'm not knocking your knowledge or anything, just want to make sure you understand what's going on with your device.

OP
Troops2990

Troops2990

Reaction score

Congrats! Read, read, read. 1.2 is kind of high for a person just learning root. JMHO. Monitor the heat on your device very closely. I'm not knocking your knowledge or anything, just want to make sure you understand what's going on with your device.

Hey thanks for your concern. I had one of Chevy's kernels to start out with and with that had cpu temp and i had an alarm attached to that at 127 degrees but i switched to one of P3's since my phone seems to like them better but now i dont have cpu temp. Anybody know of any other kernels that give temp?? Otherwise i have a widget to monitor batt temp so i guess thats better then nothing. Hope i have all my bases covered.

dietche

Reaction score
re:eek:verclocking

Speaking of overclocking, here's a couple tricks:
For starters, for daily use, running your droid super fast like that is a waste. Sure, come time to get your gaming on, roll it. But for normal day-day I've found that around 800 or so is a pretty sweet spot with fantastic battery life and normal apps run slick and smooth.

When I wanna run a heavy duty game, a quick tap and I'm back to 1100 or so (mine doesn't like 1200); but, really, most games I play don't even need that high, only the really glitzy 3d stuff does. 800 can do most everything else.

Also, remember, that droid chip was never designed to run at *twice* it's original clock speed. That's like overclocking your 2.5ghz computer to 5ghz. Last I checked, the only way to do that reliably was with liquid nitrogen. The last thing you want is to burn out your droid as there ain't no more to be had. The replacements you may get are potentially better, but not all of them have had their bootloaders unlocked yet. This means far less customization. Furthermore, having the phone die due to overclocking in the middle of an important call could be downright disastrous indeed.

Another thing that drastically helps battery life is often not talked about, and that's *minimum* clock rates. Set your on-demand governor's minimum clock rate to 125mhz instead of 250. That can net you another 3 hours easy, if not far more, depending on usage. With light usage days my wife and I both get upwards of 48 hours standby. Having to only charge your phone every couple days is a far cry from having to charge it twice daily, or more, like when we first got them.

Hope this helps :)
--D

OP
Troops2990

Troops2990

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice, my kernel will only allow me to set my min to 250 for the lowest and so far with it cranked up to 1200 being an ulv kernel my battery life seems pretty good, better than stock anyways. I don't mind charging it once a day since i have to sleep at some point and its usually around 40% when i go to bed. I now am back to Chevy's kernels which allow cpu temp so i can have an alarm set to go off when it reaches 127 degrees so hopefully all is well and i don't melt it.