Just rooted.....two questions.

LabShark

Reaction score
Should I be able to uninstall....say....the Amazon MP3 app? When I manage apps - and choose Amazon MP3 - the uninstall box is grayed out.

The rooting seemed to go well. How do I tell once I rebooted?

Thanks!

Droidfish

Reaction score
There are a couple ways to know, is there a little ninja icon in your app list called "Superuser Permissions"? Also you could use a file browser like Astro or Root Explorer(which I would recommend to get the most out of a rooted droid) and see if it will let you navigate to the folder above your sd card(the root folder of your phone).

The way I get rid of bloatware like Amazon Mp3 is by using a file manager to go into /data/app then scrolling down and locating what you want gone and deleting(Be very careful here, this is the reason your phone doesn't come with root access out of the box)

Also now that you are rooted I would recommend making a backup in your phones recovery(sprecovery or clockwork) everytime you make a change to your phone. This prevents run ins with the fabled "rescue squad"

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you could always rename the amazonmp3 extention from .apk to .bak - this will delete it from the app drawer but it will remain there in case you ever want to upgrade to a new OS (OTA updates will not work if stock apps are missing)

This prevents run ins with the fabled "rescue squad"

hahahaha

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a couple ways to know, is there a little ninja icon in your app list called "Superuser Permissions"? Also you could use a file browser like Astro or Root Explorer(which I would recommend to get the most out of a rooted droid) and see if it will let you navigate to the folder above your sd card(the root folder of your phone).

The way I get rid of bloatware like Amazon Mp3 is by using a file manager to go into /data/app then scrolling down and locating what you want gone and deleting(Be very careful here, this is the reason your phone doesn't come with root access out of the box)

Also now that you are rooted I would recommend making a backup in your phones recovery(sprecovery or clockwork) everytime you make a change to your phone. This prevents run ins with the fabled "rescue squad"

I should do this. I figure if I ever do get stock I'll just use my unrooted back up of 2.1. I've been lucky.

OP
L

LabShark

Reaction score
There is an icon named Superuser Permissions.....it is sort of a modified skull and crossbones icon though.

When you say a file manager....then go into data/app.......how do I do that? Do I need to "mount" the phone and access the folders that way?

Is there a way to get to the SD card any other way?

sorry so lame....................

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is an icon named Superuser Permissions.....it is sort of a modified skull and crossbones icon though.

When you say a file manager....then go into data/app.......how do I do that? Do I need to "mount" the phone and access the folders that way?

Is there a way to get to the SD card any other way?

Superuser means you have root.

to access the system folder you need to figure out how to use adb or buy root explorer (simpler IMO)

nothing else will let you modify the /system. this isnt on the sdcard just so you know.

Droidfish

Reaction score
....to access the system folder you need to figure out how to use adb or buy root explorer (simpler IMO)

nothing else will let you modify the /system. this isnt on the sdcard just so you know.

Thanks Abe, that was bad info on my part you'll find bloatware in /system/app rather than /data/app (that's why you're in the RS and not me:))

And to reiterate Root Explorer is worth much more than the cost especially for someone who's just getting the hang of the whole process(in a week you'll have flashed dozens of roms, themes & kernels and it will all be second nature)

Droidfish

Reaction score
Once you have root explorer installed, open it up. It should put you right in the root folder of your device then navigate to /system/app/

Edit: You'll need to make sure to hit the Mount R/W button on the top of the system/app/ folder in order to edit any of it's contents.

inside this folder is where you will find all the bloatware apps like amazonMp3, happy modding:)