Just Rooted, Now What?

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
Ok so I just rooted my Droid Razr. But now what? I looked at some guides and nothing really says what to do after. I read something about a safestrap and some other things. I did get VooDoo rootkeeper. I don't want any Roms right now. I'm happy with the stock interface. BUT I would like to remove the vzw bloatware. Is that possible? I would also like to remove Blur and go to stock Android. Is that possible? If it is, can I keep Smart Actions, or is it an all or nothing deal? Just want a quick guide as to what I should do next. Thanks.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Download system app remover to get rid of bloatware just be careful what you delete. Google something like.. "System apparently safe to remove on DROID Razr" to get an idea of what you can and can't temove

shaggykid

Reaction score
And yes with that app you can remove the things you want and keep the ones you don't.

And I can't stress enough about being careful what you remove. If your not sure ask someone or double check. I got a little trigger happy when I first rooted my DROIDX and nearly ruined my phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
B

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
Thanks. Perhaps I should do a backup first. I haven't done one since I had my OG Droid. What's the best tool around right now to do a backup?

shaggykid

Reaction score
Titanium backup is a really good tool to have. And relatively easy to use. Also if you buy the full version you can just freeze the bloatware apps and if you have an issue afterwards justbe unfreeze. That should give you a feel for what is safe to remove and what isn't.

Although I still recommend doing a search to be absolutely sure.

OP
B

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove this MotoBlur atrocity while still keeping a few apps that are somewhat decent? Im backing up all the programs I remove with Ti.

shaggykid

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean? Just go through the list on Titanium and backup and remove the ones you want

OP
B

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
The lock screen is specifically annoying. Although the 4 apps w/ the launcher is good.

shaggykid

Reaction score
I think to be able to change the lock screen you would have to flash a custom rom.

I'm not familiar with the DROID Razr just do a lot of research on the forums here and ask a lot of questions :)

You will start to get a hang of things.

OP
B

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
Im still a bit confused on this safestrap thing. Ive done some research but havent found my answer. If I'm not installing Roms do I need to do safestrap? And what is the difference between the clockwork in Rom Manager and safestrap? It seems like the same thing. Just confused and I dont wanna brick my phone.

Logan3824

Reaction score
Im still a bit confused on this safestrap thing. Ive done some research but havent found my answer. If I'm not installing Roms do I need to do safestrap? And what is the difference between the clockwork in Rom Manager and safestrap? It seems like the same thing. Just confused and I dont wanna brick my phone.

You don't need clockwork if you have safestrap...Install safestrap, open the program install the thing then reboot, when it pops up then you push the menu button and you'll see a menu that looks exactly like clockwork.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I don't use Safestrap, I use Razr Bootstrap. Safestrap allows you to partition part of your internal memory to be used for flashing a custom ROM. By doing that you can keep your stock ROM intact while flashing a custom ROM on the other partition. That way you can always have the stock rom to go back to if your flashing a custom rom doesn't go as expected. They refer to the partitions as "safe side" and "not safe side". As far as removing bloatware and system apps that came with the phone from Verizon or Motorola. Two points to be made here: Like shaggykid said...be very, very careful what you remove. Aside from removing apps, you will need to flash a custom rom to do the rest of what you want. I recommend you freeze the apps you don't want or won't use instead of removing them. I guarantee you that sooner than later...and probably sooner, you're going to want to receive the latest OTA update from Motorola, especially when ICS is released. You will not be able to receive the OTA update or upgrade if your phone is not stock...all the bloatware and apps that you have removed will kill your chances of ever receiving an update until you replace them or go back to a completely stock configuration. Freezing is a much better, safer and less hassle way to go in my opinion.

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
I just use a lockscreen app to change to lock screen. Widgetlocker is a good app IMO. Sometimes the stock lockscreen will still show up but that's usually only when I lock my phone when I'm in a phone call.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
B

BlueIce5249

Reaction score
I don't use Safestrap, I use Razr Bootstrap. Safestrap allows you to partition part of your internal memory to be used for flashing a custom ROM. By doing that you can keep your stock ROM intact while flashing a custom ROM on the other partition. That way you can always have the stock rom to go back to if your flashing a custom rom doesn't go as expected. They refer to the partitions as "safe side" and "not safe side". As far as removing bloatware and system apps that came with the phone from Verizon or Motorola. Two points to be made here: Like shaggykid said...be very, very careful what you remove. Aside from removing apps, you will need to flash a custom rom to do the rest of what you want. I recommend you freeze the apps you don't want or won't use instead of removing them. I guarantee you that sooner than later...and probably sooner, you're going to want to receive the latest OTA update from Motorola, especially when ICS is released. You will not be able to receive the OTA update or upgrade if your phone is not stock...all the bloatware and apps that you have removed will kill your chances of ever receiving an update until you replace them or go back to a completely stock configuration. Freezing is a much better, safer and less hassle way to go in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. Every single time I try and use safestrap an error occurs. Im gonna delete the half backups I have and try again. Maybe with more space. Do you recommend I backup internally or to an SD Card?

So far Ive just removed a few bloatware apps. But I backed them up. I figure the worst that could happen is I cant update and I have to ROM it. Oh, gee darn lol.