Just rooted my Droid Razr Maxx. Now what?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A year old... not good. Keep in mind, when you do a nightly you will need to flash Gapps.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
A year old... not good. Keep in mind, when you do a nightly you will need to flash Gapps.

According to this tutorial, GApps are optional. I don't understand why. Also, the directions are a little bit off from what I see on my screen. I don't have the 1GB, 2GB, 3GB options. I have 3 different size options: System, Data and Cache which I'm using these sizes, respectively: 1GB, 2.3GB and 700MB. I'm currently flashing it right now.

Also, according to the tutorial, not only are GApps optional (don't ask me why, I'm clueless), but you're suppose to flash the CM ROM, reboot, and then flash the GApps. Does that sound right?

Edit: Just tried to install the latest CM nightly. Had this error when installing it:
skipping md5 check :no md5 file found
Also, the latest GApps would not install, got a FAILED message. I didn't catch if I got a FAILED message when trying to install CM. I wonder if it's in some relation to needing the latest version of Safestrap installed.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
This is from the tutorial you posted a link too.

By default, Cyanogenmod cannot ship with Google Apps by default, so these will need to be installed manually

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
I flashed the appropriate gapps version for cm 10.3.1 and got the play store back. I'll work on the Wi-Fi problem tomorrow.
Now to figure out if Privacy Guard prevents certain apps from working at all.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Well your on the right track. Good luck with your wifi.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Well damn. I rebooted to try to fix the wifi issue (I couldn't connect to my home network), and it booted into my original ROM and now I can't get CM 10.2.1 back. I can't get safe strap to activate ROM slot one. any ideas to fix or do I have to remove everything and start from scratch. and if so how do I remove everything?

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
I really haven't tried anything but rebooting the phone and now i'm stuck with nothing. i can get the safestrap menu to come up but I can't reboot into stock or anything else. starting to freak out here. back to work tomorrow and i'm screwed without a phone. i can get the red motorola logo and then a choice between continue or recovery. continue does nothing and recovery takes me back to the safestrap menu, where i can't get the 1st rom slot to activate. help!

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
safestrap 3.73 it says the stock rom slot is active but it won't boot back into stock. and there is nothing under restore anymore. going to back up everything again and see what does (system, data, android secure, etc)

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
safestrap 3.73 it says the stock rom slot is active but it won't boot back into stock. and there is nothing under restore anymore. going to back up everything again and see what does (system, data, android secure, etc)

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Maybe let the battery drain completely, then charge it up and see what happens. Try booting into stock, then. I'm no expert so I have no idea what will happen. Have you also tried deleting ROM SLOT 1 and reformatting it? I don't think you can delete it if it's Active so considering that you can't get it Active maybe that will work to at least have something going on.

There's also a tool to re-flash the stock ROM, but I don't know how well it functions with Safestrap. See the Sticky post.

Wait until someone more knowledgeable replies. Sorry you have to go through this. I jacked up my own phone trying to root, originally and was able to get a replacement, as it was still under warranty at the time. I had to send a couple replacements back because some of the replacements were awful.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Can matts utility help me at this answer point?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

GotnFX

Reaction score
Can matts utility help me at this answer point?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What did you use to gain root? I havent used matts utility for over 2 years. It may work but it may not be updating u to the most current stock.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
I gained root through matts utility. with help of some youtube videos? everything just worked out perfectly i wasn't committing the steps to memory. i let my phone die but no avail. same boot up. robot saying safestrap disabled with menu and search as the options. right now i just need a working phone. and with grandfathered unlimited i need this or some similar phone to work. our small business depends on me being able to tether and stay live through my phone. i can get to recovery menu and i can get to safestrap menu.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
my next question is... if i activate my old droidx 3g phone will that cancel my grandfathered 4g unlimited plan?

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
my next question is... if i activate my old droidx 3g phone will that cancel my grandfathered 4g unlimited plan?

You might want to take that one up with Verizon. I think as long as you don't get involved in another "contract", you won't lose your unlimited data.

I don't know if any part of this video will apply to you at all. Use at your own risk.

[video=youtube;ftyQGSvHto4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyQGSvHto4[/video]

Found this thread on another site which seems similar to your situation.