Just rooted my Droid Razr Maxx. Now what?

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Can you point me to a guide for what to do next? Just trying to kill the lagging, speed it up and increase battery life. Do I need to flash a ROM or tweak something?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Are you saying that you rooted your phone with no game plan as to how to proceed afterward? In answer to your question, rooting an Android phone only gives you full administrative rights on the phone. if you want to install a custom rom, you'll need to install a custom recovery like Clockwork Mod before you try to install the custom rom. I'm not a technician and I'm not familiar with the Droid Razr Maxx, so I can't walk you through the installation process, but hang on for a bit and see what our other members have to say.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Exactly I can't find the steps to proceed further. I rooted. Yay! Big step. Now what? I'm lost. I can't find a guide. Only definitions of what root does and lists of apps available after I've rooted. Where to go, what am I missing, and what not to do.... These and other exciting answers await. But I'm not impatient and I realized pushing a bunch of buttons is not the best thing to do.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
For custom Roms you will need to install safestrap. Honestly, check xda forums at the Razr development section. All guides and such will be posted there.

Sent from my DE Moto X

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Exactly I can't find the steps to proceed further. I rooted. Yay! Big step. Now what? I'm lost. I can't find a guide. Only definitions of what root does and lists of apps available after I've rooted. Where to go, what am I missing, and what not to do.... These and other exciting answers await. But I'm not impatient and I realized pushing a bunch of buttons is not the best thing to do.

if you choose to install a rom with safestrap, make double sure is says in the op its a safestrap rom.
there are mostly standard roms on xda which dont work with SS.
typically, there are few SS roms for this line of moto phones. they are generally maintained here Motorola Devices - DroidRzr.com

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Is this for the xt912 or the new Maxx lineup? Lol, thought the OG Maxx only had safestrap.

Sent from my DE Moto X

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Is this for the xt912 or the new Maxx lineup? Lol, thought the OG Maxx only had safestrap.

Sent from my DE Moto X

lol, you had me thinking i missed something and replied way out in left field ;)

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Can I use the cyanogenmod one click installer? If I've done nothing but root at this point. For my xt912. Seems to easy. Thanks for all the help. Not trying to pimp my ride, just restore it to what it can be.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Can I use the cyanogenmod one click installer? If I've done nothing but root at this point. For my xt912. Seems to easy. Thanks for all the help. Not trying to pimp my ride, just restore it to what it can be.

im not familiar with this tool but would say most likely no.
most if not all roms you would be able to flash are going to be stock based because your bootloader is locked, and there is no way to unlock it at this point.

the only roms you can use will say for safestrap, if they dont specifically say they are for safestrap, they are not.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
There's a guy on Youtube with several different playlists (different playlist for each phone). One of them is the DROID RAZR MAXX. I used his videos to install Safestrap and CyanogenMod. Here's a link.

Just know that with any custom rom/mod, you lose the ability to dock, and as far as I can tell, the use of SmartActions. You could always have your docked applications on your regular boot and boot into your regular boot when needed...if you want to take the time to do all that with your phone.

Google some apps to use for rooted users. Here's a link for at least one of the top 30 lists out there.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Going to spend my Sunday off tooling around.

OP
Jxpinc

Jxpinc

Reaction score
So I got root and installed cyanogenmod without any problems. Everything is coming up roses this time around. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk