just rooted my D2G... Now what?

dvernik

Reaction score
i just rooted my D2G with z4root...... now what do i do? hahaha dont make fun of me

billyidle

Reaction score
Maybe spend some time FIRST learning what NOT to do after rooting, learn the no-no's before moving on. It will save you much trouble.

Example: deleting system files required for your phone to operate.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
The problem with too many people here is they keep touting to root root root. With phones like the d2global its interesting because one of the benefits (overclocking) isn't really needed and another (custom roms) isn't recommended yet, due to the lack of recovery .sbf.

I've rooted for the benefit of backing up apps with titanium backup, cpu profiles with setcpu(a lowered screen off profile helps my standby time on battery, the ability to put custom ringtones and notifications directly in the system directory (using root explorer), using custom boot animations (root explorer or es file manager), taking screenshots of my droid using shootme, tweaking Androids memory management protocols to allow for more free RAM using Autokiller.

So far.

I would recommend having a specific purpose in mind what you want to do before you root. Rooting by itself doesn't really do anything (some people think just by rooting you get better battery life, not true, rooting can help you do stuff that helps you get better battery life, though).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
D

dvernik

Reaction score
The problem with too many people here is they keep touting to root root root. With phones like the d2global its interesting because one of the benefits (overclocking) isn't really needed and another (custom roms) isn't recommended yet, due to the lack of recovery .sbf.

I've rooted for the benefit of backing up apps with titanium backup, cpu profiles with setcpu(a lowered screen off profile helps my standby time on battery, the ability to put custom ringtones and notifications directly in the system directory (using root explorer), using custom boot animations (root explorer or es file manager), taking screenshots of my droid using shootme, tweaking Androids memory management protocols to allow for more free RAM using Autokiller.

So far.

I would recommend having a specific purpose in mind what you want to do before you root. Rooting by itself doesn't really do anything (some people think just by rooting you get better battery life, not true, rooting can help you do stuff that helps you get better battery life, though).

ok, so what can i do that would increase my battery life. How do i add cusom stuff. (as you can tell im very new to this so could you help me out a little?)

Iowa

Reaction score

So far.

ok, so what can i do that would increase my battery life. How do i add cusom stuff. (as you can tell im very new to this so could you help me out a little?)

If I were you I would spend some time reading up on what rooted means and the things you should and shouldn't do. There is countless info on the internet about this...Careful not to brick your phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So far.

IMHO Autokiller does absolutely nothing, but in theory it should help you save battery. I don't think it does, that's just my opinion. You may be interested in some apps that you can only use if you're rooted like Root Explorer, Cache-Mate, Titanium, Quick Boot.

This question does get asked a lot.
Rooted what now Droid Forums - Google Search

You can find answers in these threads as well.

OP
D

dvernik

Reaction score
i just temporaraly rooted it. and im trying to use wireless tether but it isnt working. im prolly just gunna unroot it and leave it that way

Bilgediver

Reaction score

So far.

IMHO Autokiller does absolutely nothing, but in theory it should help you save battery. I don't think it does, that's just my opinion. You may be interested in some apps that you can only use if you're rooted like Root Explorer, Cache-Mate, Titanium, Quick Boot.

This question does get asked a lot.
Rooted what now Droid Forums - Google Search

You can find answers in these threads as well.

Meh, I found it made my original droid much smoother, mainly because it only had 256 megs of ram, so a few extra megs helped.

Iowa

Reaction score
i just temporaraly rooted it. and im trying to use wireless tether but it isnt working. im prolly just gunna unroot it and leave it that way

Honestly, if you are not educated on what a rooted phone can and cannot do and you are happy with the phone in its stock form I would leave it that way...best to not ruin your phone when your not even aware of the benefits of being rooted :)

OP
D

dvernik

Reaction score
yea. i just download apps from 4shared so its all good =]

aklabs

Reaction score
I rooted my D2G so I could do a nandroid backup (which I still need to do). I really did not want it for installing various ROMs until the sbf comes out for this model. Once that is out then maybe or I'll just wait until my warranety runs out then really hack away.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yea the D2G is a touchy one bc of the no sbf and that people have installed ROMs and it hasnt turned out to good for them...besides wireless tethering and screenshots and a backup thats about it right now till sbf is released so someone can find out whats going on with the ROMs...just stay on here and keep a watch out in the hack section and you will be good and as for your WT not working try a reboot thats what I had to do the 1st time I installed it