Just rooted eris.....help

whis9

Reaction score
Very new to this, bare with me. I have the phone rooted, downloaded new rom to computer, now do I copy the zip file over to my sd card or do I company the files in the zip file over to my computer. Try to update to froyo 2.2. Thanks

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Very new to this, bare with me. I have the phone rooted, downloaded new rom to computer, now do I copy the zip file over to my sd card or do I company the files in the zip file over to my computer. Try to update to froyo 2.2. Thanks

Don't unzip the rom, it will mess up the signature. Just copy the rom onto the root of the sdcard then reboot into recovery and flash it. Don't forget to flash gapps after that and make a nand backup in recovery before you do any of this.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

brehop

Reaction score
Rooted Eris and can't use recovery.

I just rooted my HTC eris with the Universal Androot [free one click app to root almost any android device]. The recovery image it gave me is RA-eris v1.6.2. When I shut my phone off and boot it into recovery, the trackball doesn't work, the only option I can use is the first, which is the reboot option. However, the track ball works flawlessly when I'm using it normally on my phone. I can't get the adb to work on my computer and everything about it is frustrating me so I can't use that to flash the gingerbread rom, that I have downloaded on the root of my sd card, as said can be done in another forum when I searched "How to flash a rom in amon ra with broken trackball". So my only other viable option unless someone can walk a somewhat noob to use adb starting from downloading and installing the latest version of the Android SDK, or seeing if I can download ROM Manager and use that. My only concern is ROM Manager uses clockwork recovery and idk if that will mess up my phone or brick it since I already was forced into having Amon Ra recovery, or if when I use ROM Manager if it will just switch the recovery images [which I highly doubt]. ANY AND ALL suggestions from people, that have experience with this problem or have heard/read how to solve it, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys :]

Okay to add on to my problem, I listened to some other people on another android forum, they said I could just use ROM Manager and flash the ClockworkMod Recovery and it should work for me, I did and then I flashed the cyanogenmod Gingerbread 2.3 ROM. When my phone rebooted, it got stuck on a bootloop on the second boot screen. So I turned it off and rebooted into recovery. Guess what? Yeah My phone reverted back to Amon Ra recovery so I'm guessing ROM Managers "superb" flashing skills didn't stick the recovery image, but managed to get the ROM to stick. So when I boot up normally, [I've booted up 10+ times so far] I get stuck in a boot loop, and when I boot into recovery, the only option I can get to due to a broken trackball is "reboot".

I'm guessing my only viable option is to push the stock 1.5 ROM onto my Eris using ADB and then Pushing the 2.1 RUU from adb as well. Can anyone link me to a complete dummies/noobs guide to downloading the Android SDK and then Using ADB? Because I used one guide, downloaded the most recent version of SDK and JDK, then installed all the update things in the SDK when you open the setep.exe and yet when I open the ADB in platform tools, a small black window pops up and a lot of text flashes down it, then it closes. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a "no trackball" version of RA, but before you try all of that, boot into recovery and plug in your usb cable about half way and try your trackball. Usually that will make the trackball work again.

sjpritch25

Reaction score
I just rooted my HTC eris with the Universal Androot [free one click app to root almost any android device]. The recovery image it gave me is RA-eris v1.6.2. When I shut my phone off and boot it into recovery, the trackball doesn't work, the only option I can use is the first, which is the reboot option. However, the track ball works flawlessly when I'm using it normally on my phone. I can't get the adb to work on my computer and everything about it is frustrating me so I can't use that to flash the gingerbread rom, that I have downloaded on the root of my sd card, as said can be done in another forum when I searched "How to flash a rom in amon ra with broken trackball". So my only other viable option unless someone can walk a somewhat noob to use adb starting from downloading and installing the latest version of the Android SDK, or seeing if I can download ROM Manager and use that. My only concern is ROM Manager uses clockwork recovery and idk if that will mess up my phone or brick it since I already was forced into having Amon Ra recovery, or if when I use ROM Manager if it will just switch the recovery images [which I highly doubt]. ANY AND ALL suggestions from people, that have experience with this problem or have heard/read how to solve it, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys :]

Okay to add on to my problem, I listened to some other people on another android forum, they said I could just use ROM Manager and flash the ClockworkMod Recovery and it should work for me, I did and then I flashed the cyanogenmod Gingerbread 2.3 ROM. When my phone rebooted, it got stuck on a bootloop on the second boot screen. So I turned it off and rebooted into recovery. Guess what? Yeah My phone reverted back to Amon Ra recovery so I'm guessing ROM Managers "superb" flashing skills didn't stick the recovery image, but managed to get the ROM to stick. So when I boot up normally, [I've booted up 10+ times so far] I get stuck in a boot loop, and when I boot into recovery, the only option I can get to due to a broken trackball is "reboot".

I'm guessing my only viable option is to push the stock 1.5 ROM onto my Eris using ADB and then Pushing the 2.1 RUU from adb as well. Can anyone link me to a complete dummies/noobs guide to downloading the Android SDK and then Using ADB? Because I used one guide, downloaded the most recent version of SDK and JDK, then installed all the update things in the SDK when you open the setep.exe and yet when I open the ADB in platform tools, a small black window pops up and a lot of text flashes down it, then it closes. Any suggestions?

What version of windows do you have? Here is a adb tutorial for newbie's
[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) - xda-developers
Click on the guide and download the .pdf file.

Personally, I don't use Rom Manager because of the problems out way the benefits. Its much easier to just nanbackup and flash via recovery.

For recovery without trackball, I use this custom one. It was built to use the Call and End button. Its works great because my trackball is broken too.
Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required! - Android Forums

Once you get adb fixed Scenario 4 is what i used and its very easy.

Anymore questions? Just let me know.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hope I am not disturbing or thread jacking here, however I need to find out how I can get my eris(which I am not familiar with) to get past the boot screen? Or the skateboard droids. I don't think it can find an image and that's how I got the phone. I can get to the hboot and fastboot and stock recovery and wiped and still nothing.. I am very experienced with sbf and droids, 1, 2 and x but no idea how to go about this one? Any help will be greatly apreciated! Thanks..

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Hope I am not disturbing or thread jacking here, however I need to find out how I can get my eris(which I am not familiar with) to get past the boot screen? Or the skateboard droids. I don't think it can find an image and that's how I got the phone. I can get to the hboot and fastboot and stock recovery and wiped and still nothing.. I am very experienced with sbf and droids, 1, 2 and x but no idea how to go about this one? Any help will be greatly apreciated! Thanks..

This is what you need!
http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/75384-visual-example-pb00img-zip-update-method.html

dEris

Reaction score
Can you help me please. Im totally LOST! I do NOT know anything about rooting but still I went ahead and did it and now Im stuck with no phone, I used the OneClickRoot for Droid Eris directly from my phone, once i did that everything was fine till I downloaded the app "superuser permissions" from the market. I did not do any back up or anything so now is like my phone is completely empty it only has the factory apps and the little black ninja with the gun for the "Sup. Perm." and it doesn't have any service at all. Can someone please help! :frown:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you help me please. Im totally LOST! I do NOT know anything about rooting but still I went ahead and did it and now Im stuck with no phone, I used the OneClickRoot for Droid Eris directly from my phone, once i did that everything was fine till I downloaded the app "superuser permissions" from the market. I did not do any back up or anything so now is like my phone is completely empty it only has the factory apps and the little black ninja with the gun for the "Sup. Perm." and it doesn't have any service at all. Can someone please help! :frown:

Did you dial *228?..