Just ran a speed test VZW LTE.....

Escobar

Reaction score
Speed Test, Concerned and Confused.

So I ran a speed test and my results were pitiful, can someone explain why. Also I live in Pittsburgh, but it says the server is new york. Someone help cuz this is pathetic even for 3G.

View attachment 55200

Caesars

Reaction score
I usually keep gps off when using this app. For some reason it often picks slower servers, i know which ones in my area are faster/less bogged down and use them (select them manually).

Edit: not that gps even determines what servers it connects to, but when mine is enabled, it's usually on a crappy server.

Googorola MAXX

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So I ran a speed test and my results were pitiful, can someone explain why. Also I live in Pittsburgh, but it says the server is new york. Someone help cuz this is pathetic even for 3G.

View attachment 55200

Merged with the existing speed test thread. :)

Several different things can impact your data speeds. According to your screenshot, you're located in NYC. While there are other things that can and do play a role in your reception, two big things are buildings and other LTE customers. Depending on what building you're inside (or what buildings are around you outside), your reception can be negatively affected. Also, in NYC you'll have a lot more people using the network in a concentrated area, which can slow things down for everyone.

Are those the types of speeds you're seeing everywhere you go?

Escobar

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Merged with the existing speed test thread. :)

Several things can impact your data speeds. According to your screenshot, you're located in NYC. While there are other things that could play a role in it, there are two big things that can play a role in your location - buildings and LTE customers. Depending on what building you're inside (or what buildings are around you outside), your reception can be affected. Also, in NYC you'll have a lot more people using the network, which slows things down for everyone.

But I'm in Pittsburgh. Not ny. Never been there.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
But I'm in Pittsburgh. Not ny. Never been there.

My bad. I was just looking at the server you connected to on your screenshot. Surely there's one closer than NYC to Pittsburgh. It's probably a marginal difference, but that can impact the results as well.

And the same thing can apply in Pittsburgh that applies in NYC. Your location, including the geography of the area and the number of users in the area, is the biggest factor in your reception. Again, do you see speeds like that all the time through several speed tests in different spots that you're frequently in?

Also, what's your actual signal strength? (If you don't know how to find that, go to Settings -> About device -> Status. It will be listed as a negative number under the "Signal strength" heading.)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
So, this is what has me baffled. It used to be that everytime I ran these tests, it would come from a server in Seattle, WA... despite that I am in central NY (about 5 hours driving distance from NYC). What determines which server it will connect to? Here are my latest two tests with two different apps...the fcc one uses the same "core technology" that ookla uses.

View attachment 55201

View attachment 55202

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So, this is what has me baffled. It used to be that everytime I ran these tests, it would come from a server in Seattle, WA... despite that I am in central NY (about 5 hours driving distance from NYC). What determines which server it will connect to? Here are my latest two tests with two different apps...the fcc one uses the same "core technology" that ookla uses.

The server you connect to is determined by location services. If you have the standalone GPS turned off (which is the first method the app will use if available), it will try to determine your location via the network, and it can easily can get that wrong. If you tap the Tools tab at the bottom of the app, you can change the server (although it just gives you a list of other servers that are within range of where it thinks you are). In order for the app to produce the most accurate results, make sure to have your location services enabled (especially the standalone GPS).

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
This is my test. New Orleans, LA.

Our 3g is pitiful. Usually less than 1mbps.

Tha187um

Reaction score
Wow ATT speeds, really nice.. but like someone posted, that's cause ATT's LTE bandwidth is not being used up yet... Unfortunately I think we will ALL suffer when the new iphone comes out (assuming it's LTE :( )

Here are my speeds on average...
2012-08-28_14-27-36.png
2012-08-28_14-27-12.png

I have maxed out at 30Mbps Down and 10Mbps Up in Miami, (Airport to be exact).
I came from sprint, so even my 1mbps speeds at 3G is extremely better than the 250kbs on 3g or the non existent 4G :)

By the way, Im not on S3, this is from My Rezound... it shouldn't make much of a difference though.