Just picked up a Razr M - It's... very nice.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root Access - I'm tempted to try one of the current moto root methods (like Motofail) to root it, but don't want to screw anything up either... feel free to add any advice if you have it!

A little bit of disheartening news...

From cellzealot over at XDA: "A word to the wise for those want to root and mod this phone and future Motorola devices.All of the Motorolas since the Droid 3 have been rooted by one person, djrbliss and he has stated that he will not be doing this any longer.

If you want to be certain of the ability to root and modify your phone and flash custom software, you should purchase the developer edition." (see here)

mattlgroff expressed a similar sentiment in that forum...

Not that nobody else could figure it out, but for what it's worth. :blink:

I'm not big into romming, but do like my root access.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Charged batteries to 100% on both phones. Went through the activation process on mine (wife's had to wait until she got home from work). Failed several times until I realized that my old "Family Share" plan was not "compatible" with the new phone. I had an order in to change over to the "Share Everything" plan...but wasn't to take effect until the 29th. Had to call V* and get the date moved up. THEN the phone activated.

Very tedious moving my contact list from the D2G to the new phone. I'd been using Backup Assistant forever, but somewhere along the line THEY changed it to Backup Assistant Plus, with a different format. Eventually got that handled. This thing didn't automagically install my apps when I config'd it like my Samsung GT2 7.0 did.....so had to download/install about 115 apps. Went to the market on the web and just clicked to send them to the phone.

Wife's phone was tougher......even though I'd seen it hit 100% charge earlier in the day, and I'd left in on the charger. By the time I tried to do anything with it....wouldn't even turn on at all. Had to do a soft reset of the phone holding down the power button and the volume down button at the same time until the phone started up.

Then it failed to activate also...spent some time on the phone with V*. Her phone wasn't in their system at all even though they'd been shipped together on the same order.

Then...going through the moving contacts list procedure...it failed completely. Indicated that 0 out of 90 contacts got moved. I fired up her old phone, saved the contact list as a VCF file on a spare mSD card, copied the file to the new phone, imported the VCF file into her contact list....good as new. Then started downloading/installing all of her apps, etc.

All of our "old" chargers and car chargers work with this phone.....but not cases and docks. V* has a fancy new generic dock for $39. I found the same item on Amazon. The $39 dock includes a charging cable (which I don't need), they sell the dock without the cable for $27 (bought one). I'd complained to Amazon last week about their new app market app killing my battery so they'd issued me a $10 credit on my next purchase.....the new dock cost me $17.

Stopped at my local Verizon store last night on the way home from dinner. They had cases, etc. for the Razr M, but not out on display yet. I bought a holster/case for mine, a silcone sleeve thing for my wife's. Even with the 25% discount I get on my account...it was $40 ("saved" $12.50 though).

The thing that caused me the most "trouble" in the process.....not knowing that the new Apple phone got released the same day I was trying to activate my phones....so I ended up spending a fair bit of time on hold when I did need to talk to a rep about something. Not their fault.....doesn't happen every day.

I read in some reviews that the screen "sucked" a little...I think it looks great. The phone is FAST (coming from a D2G). Took a bit getting used to that my home screen wasn't in the middle of several screens, but the phone flicks through the screens so fast it's no biggie. With all the time I spent on mine downloading/installing apps and everything else...the battery seemed to last FOREVER. Don't have any real numbers to post, but man.....

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming from a D2G, there should be a LOT about this phone that's great. :) I'll be curious of your thoughts on the camera, especially in low light scenarios.

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
For anyone interested in battery life here is a screenshot of my usage for the day. Not rooted.
2dtsyuh.png

Screen on time is around 3 hours 45 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-15-23-00-08.png
    Screenshot_2012-09-15-23-00-08.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 233

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
That's some great screen on time! Excellent.

Yeah... Very exciting. I was local today so I am anxious to see what I get when I head out of town.

At home WiFi is on and GPS and data are off (smart actions).

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah this little phone is pretty impressive so far. It's not Maxx battery life, but considering the battery size, pretty impressive.

Signal strength is also impressive. The GS3 I was testing to compare the two over the last day or so couldn't hold a candle to this, that includes my home wifi.

One other nice feature that I'm glad Motorola held onto is the ability to mount the sd card as USB storage.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

jwilly216

Reaction score
I have an upgrade but don't want to lose my unlimited data so can i use the upgrade on my moms line to get the M and just activate it on my line?

geoff5093

Reaction score
I have an upgrade but don't want to lose my unlimited data so can i use the upgrade on my moms line to get the M and just activate it on my line?
Are you on the family plan? Part of me thinks that if she upgrades she will be forced into the new share everything plan, which in turn would put you on that plan as well. This is just my assumption though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You want to double check to make sure but when I asked Verizon about exactly this situation, the Rep said that as long as the phone was upgraded and activated on a tiered plan, it could then be moved to an unlimited line and that unlimited line would remain unlimited BUT the new phone had to first be activated on the tiered line before it can be switched to the unlimited.

Of course when I get ready to do something like this, I am going to drill them and make them sign their names in blood to make sure I don't lose my unlimited.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

AmishButcher

Reaction score
Just picked up my M...very impressed to this point. I've come to the following conclusion after reading numerous user/website reviews: the majority of people are afraid of change in a mobile device. OMG, it only has 3 buttons instead of 4, it's power button is on the side, mine is on top and countless other trivial details. Based on this fear, aspects of the device can be nit-picked (despite the fact the M is 2 years newer than my old phone, based on SOME reviews I thought my phone was going to look like Tetris on GameBoy when I watched a vid, ha) and criticized. I'll make it work if there's a feature I don't like. If your in the market for an upgrade and ur current phone is an older 3G, the M will blow you away (and please don't reply that phone "X" is way better than the M...it may be true as I'm not Master Androidian, but you get my point)...plus it's only $100 bucks, can't beat it. Sorry for the rant, but just trying to give some legit feedback to people in the market who may read this thread looking for opinions, I know I did