1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Just picked up a Razr M - It's... very nice.

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by jntdroid, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

Had an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket since we came back to Verizon. I have a Nexus 7, so the idea of a giant superphone (i.e. something like the S3 [which I love] or the Maxx HD [loved the Maxx, too]) is not as appealing any more since I can hotspot to my N7 to do most of my larger screen "needs". So when the M was announced, I was pretty intrigued. Best Buy actually gave me $101 for my used Bionic with the charger (it was spotless), so it was conceptually free.

Anyway, a few quick notes...
    • Form factor is very nice. I'll admit it feels small in the hand after coming from previous phones, but it feels great nonetheless, and I'm sure that's a matter of simply being used to the larger devices.
    • The screen is exactly what you'd expect - it's identical to the Razr and Razr Maxx. It looks very nice, but it's not an HD screen.
    • UI - it's awesome. The newest blur is even less intrusive than blur on ICS for the Razr/Maxx/Bionic. No more bulky, slow, stock Motorola photo gallery. It's almost identical to the AOSP gallery. Other areas feel very smooth and snappy, similar to the Gnex when it first came out on 4.0+. I'm sure it's partially due to the S4 processor and new gpu as well. It will be awesome on Jelly Bean in a few months (hopefully they live up to that...). It definitely has a smoother/snappier feel than the Razr/Maxx, not that they're bad by any means, but you can feel the better processor.
    • The camera is ok - if you aren't using the flash, it's solid, especially if you have a steady hand. If you have to use the flash, well, it's a Moto camera.
    • Root Access - I'm tempted to try one of the current moto root methods (like Motofail) to root it, but don't want to screw anything up either... feel free to add any advice if you have it!
    Dislikes:
    • The external sd card is under /mnt/external1 - I don't think any app will look there for it automatically

Overall it's about what I expected - very solid and simply a nice device with awesome specs - and most of the reviews I've read on it were pretty spot on.
    2 people like this.
  2. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

Glad you like it i have an upgrade coming but i hate to loose my unlimeted data :(
  3. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

Same, looks like I'll have to pay full retail :(
  4. jntdroid

Yeah I lost mine a long time ago, so it doesn't even factor in to my decisions any more :mellow:
  5. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

I just tried to move my upgrade from my unlimited line to one of my non unlimited online and then when i tried to checkout it told me unlimited was no longer available. It was at least worth a shot.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
  6. smuckers

smuckers New Member

I am eligible for an upgrade next week and am trying to decide between the m and the s3...I'm leaning toward the m but am concerned about the battery life being that it is not removable..can you let us know in a few days how long the battery lasts and under what type of usage.. Thx.
  7. jntdroid

Sure - for what it's worth, battery life should be as good, if not better, than the S3. It's only 100mah less and has a smaller, more battery friendly screen, and a better antenna/radio. Reviews so far are saying it gets great life. I think the three big contrasts between this and the S3 are screen size, screen resolution, and camera. This camera isn't bad, but it's no HTC, iPhone, or S3. Moto needs to focus on their cameras in the next go-around.

I thought this review was good:

Motorola DROID RAZR M Review: This Is What Budget Phones Are Like Now? Where Do I Sign Up?

He's wrong about the gallery thumbnail, at least in my experience so far, it hasn't been a problem.
  8. smuckers

smuckers New Member

That's good to hear.. Well coming from a dx with an extended battery (1900 mah) I was thinking it would be roughly the same if not a little better ... Screen size and camera are not to big of a deal to me.. Thanks, I'm going to stop up and see if they have any working displays thus weekend :p
  9. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

I was a little "worried" about losing our unlimited data too. The with some checking I found the wife and I together were averaging about .09GB of data each month. I'm retired, my phones are mostly on wifi.....she's still working but found streaming music, etc. While she worked left her with a dead battery by lunch time...so....

What we had even more in mind was that our old calling plan had us sharing 700 minutes a month and a couple weeks ago we FINALLY had our land line at home yanked out (saved us $50 a month). So....the unlimited talk on the new plan was more valuable to us that unlimited data.

I still plugged us into a 4GB a month plan though. If we go on vacation and need more to tether a netbook or a tablet....I can always call in and have it bumped up for a month. And now...no more $20 a month fee for tethering.

The new share everything plan (with my discounts for being on an old government contract, even though I'm retired) is about $.75 a month cheaper than the family plan we were on.
  10. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Thank god. I don't know how it was on the Razr but it was awful on the Bionic. Since day one (even on ICS) it lags on zooming. Been using QuickPic for over a year now.
  11. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

Awesome that it works for you. I really wish tiered data would save me money but it won't. My line averages over the Gigs per month and my second line that my daughter gas had for the weeks has already hit over 2 watching Netflix and YouTube videos... So I'm screwed and cannot upgrade my two unlimited lines without getting at least 4gb. Thanks Verizon you jerks.

It's nice to know not everyone is getting screwed though

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
  12. xmguy

xmguy New Member

I was told by Verizon that if you use an alternate upgrade. Say from a second of 2 family lines then you CAN keep unlimited data. If you use your OWN upgrade or have a single line you would have to change to share everything or tiered data. That's what I'm gonna try.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Bionic... out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
  13. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Thanks for the feedback jnt. Sounds like this is essentially a little bit zippier Razr with a new UI and smaller form factor. Should be a good upgrade for those wanting a little bigger screen but smaller footprint.
    1 person likes this.
  14. jntdroid

That pretty much nails it on the head. Though I will say the more I used it, the more I think the Razr/Maxx camera might actually be a little better, or at least more consistent.
  15. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

Hmmm....I've been told that Verizon doesn't mind letting you keep your unlimited data plan, if you don't mind paying full retail rice for new phones.

I asked about keeping my unlimited plan and Verizon told me, no problem...the new Razr M you want will only cost you $549 (only $1098 for the two phones I was ordering). I decided to pay $149 for TWO Razr M's and to update my plan to one of the share everything plans with a data cap.
  16. jntdroid

A little bit of disheartening news...

From cellzealot over at XDA: "A word to the wise for those want to root and mod this phone and future Motorola devices.All of the Motorolas since the Droid 3 have been rooted by one person, djrbliss and he has stated that he will not be doing this any longer.

If you want to be certain of the ability to root and modify your phone and flash custom software, you should purchase the developer edition." (see here)

mattlgroff expressed a similar sentiment in that forum...

Not that nobody else could figure it out, but for what it's worth. :blink:

I'm not big into romming, but do like my root access.
  17. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

Fed-Ex just delivered mine........charging the batteries.....:icon_ banana:
    1 person likes this.
  18. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

Charged batteries to 100% on both phones. Went through the activation process on mine (wife's had to wait until she got home from work). Failed several times until I realized that my old "Family Share" plan was not "compatible" with the new phone. I had an order in to change over to the "Share Everything" plan...but wasn't to take effect until the 29th. Had to call V* and get the date moved up. THEN the phone activated.

Very tedious moving my contact list from the D2G to the new phone. I'd been using Backup Assistant forever, but somewhere along the line THEY changed it to Backup Assistant Plus, with a different format. Eventually got that handled. This thing didn't automagically install my apps when I config'd it like my Samsung GT2 7.0 did.....so had to download/install about 115 apps. Went to the market on the web and just clicked to send them to the phone.

Wife's phone was tougher......even though I'd seen it hit 100% charge earlier in the day, and I'd left in on the charger. By the time I tried to do anything with it....wouldn't even turn on at all. Had to do a soft reset of the phone holding down the power button and the volume down button at the same time until the phone started up.

Then it failed to activate also...spent some time on the phone with V*. Her phone wasn't in their system at all even though they'd been shipped together on the same order.

Then...going through the moving contacts list procedure...it failed completely. Indicated that 0 out of 90 contacts got moved. I fired up her old phone, saved the contact list as a VCF file on a spare mSD card, copied the file to the new phone, imported the VCF file into her contact list....good as new. Then started downloading/installing all of her apps, etc.

All of our "old" chargers and car chargers work with this phone.....but not cases and docks. V* has a fancy new generic dock for $39. I found the same item on Amazon. The $39 dock includes a charging cable (which I don't need), they sell the dock without the cable for $27 (bought one). I'd complained to Amazon last week about their new app market app killing my battery so they'd issued me a $10 credit on my next purchase.....the new dock cost me $17.

Stopped at my local Verizon store last night on the way home from dinner. They had cases, etc. for the Razr M, but not out on display yet. I bought a holster/case for mine, a silcone sleeve thing for my wife's. Even with the 25% discount I get on my account...it was $40 ("saved" $12.50 though).

The thing that caused me the most "trouble" in the process.....not knowing that the new Apple phone got released the same day I was trying to activate my phones....so I ended up spending a fair bit of time on hold when I did need to talk to a rep about something. Not their fault.....doesn't happen every day.

I read in some reviews that the screen "sucked" a little...I think it looks great. The phone is FAST (coming from a D2G). Took a bit getting used to that my home screen wasn't in the middle of several screens, but the phone flicks through the screens so fast it's no biggie. With all the time I spent on mine downloading/installing apps and everything else...the battery seemed to last FOREVER. Don't have any real numbers to post, but man.....
  19. jntdroid

Coming from a D2G, there should be a LOT about this phone that's great. :) I'll be curious of your thoughts on the camera, especially in low light scenarios.
  20. Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig New Member

For anyone interested in battery life here is a screenshot of my usage for the day. Not rooted.
    [​IMG]
    Screen on time is around 3 hours 45 minutes.

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page
motoroot n7

razr m burn in

razr m signal display