Just picked up a factory refurb D1 for the wife...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ScottyDsntKnow, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ScottyDsntKnow

ScottyDsntKnow New Member

Her contract isn't up till November and she is currently stuck in the hell that is the blackberry storm 9530. So I got a 30 day old D1 from the evilbay for $175 shipped. I have an X that is rooted/overclocked/rom'd etc... Just wanted to see if you guys have any recommendations for me. I'm looking at putting the chevy 1.25 ULV kernel and either bugless beast or Simply Stunning on it. She loves how fast my X is with tranquility 3.6 so I'm looking for something close. I know the D1 has less ram but it'll be running over double the stock speed so it should be good right?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

You can absolutely overclock the D1. Mine is running beautifully at 1.2 ghz on a p3 kernel. I think your wife will be happy with it.

One note though: not all D1s can go to 1200 or 1250. Go slowly and see what your phone likes and make sure you back up in case you run into problems.

Sent from my Motorola Droid
  3. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

UD is a good rom with Slayher's kernels (my phone won't take Chevy's). Mine runs silky smooth at 1000 all day. My buddy with an X is jealous of my D1 although without the locked bootloader it would be opposite.
  4. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

You have to flash a kernel that allows overclocking.

Some well known kernels are made by:

P3Droid
    ChevyNo1
    Slayher

You can search the forum and read up about them. Once you overclock, it is like a whole new phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid
  5. y0manda

y0manda New Member

If it's for the wife, you should find a happy medium between performance and battery life. Iam running a 1.20 ghz but I multi task with my phone and hate lags I just have to charge phone twice or three times a day.
  6. ScottyDsntKnow

Rofl, yes you can. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just crank it up to 1ghz with a kernal the phone likes and call it a day. Hell, buddy at work had one at 800mhz on the stock kernal before he got an X as well.

I'll be lazy and go ahead and ask... Are there are any current SBF files for the D1 like the the X has in case I brick this thing installing a kernal?
  7. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

8. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

9. fkr

fkr New Member

I run at 1.2 on a stock rooted d1. i helped test the milestone overclock apk. use the milestone overclock with setcpu and you will be golden. just keep your vsel under 70 if you do not want to burnout the cpu. and under 62 will improve battery life. this works on the dx also.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  10. ScottyDsntKnow

I just use jrummy's app for the DX, tranquility hit 20+ hrs still at 40% with light usage which is more than Apex or Rubix did...

I am debating on leaving the D1 just rooted vanilla Froyo since, unlike the X, there isn't all the blur garbage and bloat is easy enough to remove manually. She really doesn't care about roms, she just wants a snappy phone with all the bells and whistles Android offers. Again, she is coming from a Storm 9530 so the bar isn't set very high lol.

edit: thanks for the sbf file btw. I hope I don't have to use it. I said that when I got my X too...
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  11. fkr

fkr New Member

i consistently pull a 1500 quadrant score. combine this with titanium backup pro to freeze the stock bloatware and the d1 is perfect till dual core is available. i am hoping to get comp cache working soon and then my nov 23 2009 d1 will keep up with all androids (at least close enough). love it live it. by the way some d1's will do 1 hz at a 54 or less vsl. if you can acheive this you can expect 48 hours with moderate use. i have seen even lower vsl's. plus you can never brick a d1.