Just lost my DX

lemodular

Reaction score
I just lost my DX tonight. Called Verizon and (temporarily)deactivated the service but I know wifi still works. I am now going thorough the process of changing all my passwords. I did not install anything on the phone that would allow a remote wipe. Is there anything built in to some apps that will allow remote wipe that I am not aware of? I have Titanium BU, Astro...
Verizon has a built in remote wipe but only if you have insurance (new feature).

I am really bummed right now. The arduous process of changing all my acount sux too. I only have another month to go before my upgrade. I need to find another android phone till then.

Fitter459

Reaction score
I would suggest something like Lookout on the next phone. It allows you to remote locate with GPS and turn on a siren like ringtone even if the phone is in silent mode. Works well and is free. Got it in the market. I have used it several times to retrieve it from an insulated attic space, worked perfectly.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you hadn't called and deactivated the phone you could possibly have gotten it back. Matter fact you still have an option.....just know I have had phone's stolen and got every one of them back.....this is what I did when my wife's D1 was stolen

I had my wife's d1 removed from her purse and initially I had it deactivated. Then I reactivated it with VZW and tracked it with Latitude (already installed and configured).

I called VZW and asked if I could reactivate the phone purely to track it in attempts to get it back I said I only wanted to do it for a short (set time frame....I did 3 days) time. They SHOULD (they did for me) make a note in your account so you are not responsible for the minutes used.

Then I went to VZW on my computer and printed off the call log that they are calling. Then I started calling the numbers telling them that the local police department would be visiting them soon because they were involved with a felony. I don't know if it is true or not but I said that they stole a $500 phone which made it grand theft and I would press charges against everyone I could find that was involved if I didn't get it back.

I also ran numbers through reverse lookup's which came back with a name that proved to be accurate. To be honest I got lucky too.....because Latitude was reporting I had an address. So when I went there although nobody was home I was able to talk to a neighbor and get a name. So when I called these numbers I asked for "david" and once they acknowledged that then knew him I proceeded with the threats. I tried to be nice of course.....at first but as they get ruder so did I....2nd number I called ended up being his sister.

When her D2 was stolen I already had both latitude installed and configured as well as "Where's my Droid" (donate) which allows keywords.....for instance if you send "Where's my Droid" to my wife's phone it would set it'self to the highest volume and ring for 5 minutes. If you text "GPS" then it starts responding with location, heading, and links to google maps EVERYTIME you send the texts. I have learned a bit and changed the keywords (which you can only do in donate) so for us now it's "don't forget" for the scream and "the sour cream" for GPS

Point being there is an app called "Plan B"...it's free in the market. You go to the market on your computer and push "plan b" to your phone. It automatically installs and starts sending emails to the default email address with it's location including address, lat and long, and links to google maps. Plus from there you can send texts to your phone with the keyword "locate" and it will respond the same way for 10 minutes.

Just saying. I have retrieved 2 stolen phone's so far....both times from completely shocked people....now I immediately hook up latitude on every phone I get....including friends....and install both Where's my Droid (donate version) on all phone's I get (wife's and my own) as well as Wavesecure on mine.

I dare you to steal my phone. ;)

So....call VZW and tell them your phone was stolen. Tell them that you use latitude to navigate and just realized that you can track the phone that way. And you would prefer to just get it back rather than going through the hassle of replacing it. Tell them you just want 3 days and then you will call back and deactivate it again if you can't get a bead on it.

If they do it....wait one hour from the time you get off the phone (just to make sure service has reached it again) and then go to market and push "Plan B" to your device. You are going to have to be crafty, and I am willing to help if you wish, but you have a pretty good chance of getting it back.

For future take head to the apps I recommended and signing into Latitude right away on your new device. Also if you don't have any friends then set up a second gmail account and share your location with it. That way next time you can just sign into Gmail with the other account and track your phone.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Wow, thats pretty cool. Not quite as pen-pointy as those TV shows but real close. Plus sounds like you'd make a dandy private eye

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums using SlideIT

Unsocial

Reaction score
Lookup Lookout - Plan B. Supposedly you can install this remotely after your phone has been lost, and you haven't installed any anti-theft software before losing it.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
What happens if a smart thief takes your phone and they uninstall from the market, Latitude, Lookout and Where's my Droid? Then I guess you would need Plan B and a prayer...

Thanks for the info though, definitely got it on the phone and hope that if it ever is taken, that it isn't taken by a smart thief. The Market should really have a password option because otherwise the thief could download all sorts of apps an charge it to your credit card... The apple app store (yes I know, forbidden words) requires a password... I don't see why the google market can't require it...

OP
L

lemodular

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Nerdlogic, thanks for the suggestions of "Plan-B" I did not even know an app like that app existed. I willl look for it online and see if I can push it to the phone. I may need your help if I can't figure it out.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
What happens if a smart thief takes your phone and they uninstall from the market, Latitude, Lookout and Where's my Droid? Then I guess you would need Plan B and a prayer...

Thanks for the info though, definitely got it on the phone and hope that if it ever is taken, that it isn't taken by a smart thief. The Market should really have a password option because otherwise the thief could download all sorts of apps an charge it to your credit card... The apple app store (yes I know, forbidden words) requires a password... I don't see why the google market can't require it...

Wavesecure is what happens...it cannot be uninstalled.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Nerdlogic, thanks for the suggestions of "Plan-B" I did not even know an app like that app existed. I willl look for it online and see if I can push it to the phone. I may need your help if I can't figure it out.

Not a problem. Just remember to reactivate your phone before you send it to it. I have never tried Plan B on a reactivated phone so I don't know if it will work or not.

R

RETG

"Then I went to VZW on my computer and printed off the call log that they are calling. Then I started calling the numbers telling them that the local police department would be visiting them soon because they were involved with a felony. I don't know if it is true or not but I said that they stole a $500 phone which made it grand theft and I would press charges against everyone I could find that was involved if I didn't get it back."

It's not, and you might get in trouble with the local police for harassment. Put it this way, if someone calls you on a phone, do you know if that phone is stolen? I sure have no idea how to find out if someone is calling me on a stolen phone.

Now, if you can prove the person on the phone was an accomplice to the person who stole the phone, yes. But explain how that will happen.

Just saying, as someone who has some experience with the law (very soon to be retired FLEOdancedroid), I would be careful about threatening people over the phone with legal action, when legal action is not an option.

Another thing to watch out for....

Going to an address where you see the phone at. What if the GPS is off by one house? (Consider they can be off by about 20 feet, and a condo is a great example of the location being wrong.) I know you come to my house and threaten me, you will have a SIG pointed at you faster than you can say DROID. And believe me, in most states, threatening someone at their front door, does not require a badge to pull a gun and point it at you.

Yes, they may not have the legal recourse to fire, but you cannot threaten people at their door without having possible problems. Heck, he (or she) may just be the type to slam you down and hold you till the police arrive. SO BE CAREFUL out there.

A phone is not worth ending up with a legal or even a possible civil charge against you, or you ending up in a hospital with a broken bone.

OP
L

lemodular

Reaction score
So I reactivated my phone and went to the app market online and installed Plan-B to the phone. It says it was installed and that I would get an email with the location of the phone. However, after 10 hours, I still not have received any emails.
I suspect that since I changed my google password, the app never really got installed? The phone is probably off or out of charge right now as I just tried to call and it went straight to voicemail. Either case, I'm certain the app would not work if the phone is powered off.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I reactivated my phone and went to the app market online and installed Plan-B to the phone. It says it was installed and that I would get an email with the location of the phone. However, after 10 hours, I still not have received any emails.
I suspect that since I changed my google password, the app never really got installed? The phone is probably off or out of charge right now as I just tried to call and it went straight to voicemail. Either case, I'm certain the app would not work if the phone is powered off.

Send a text to your number with the word locate. That will activate plan b to start sending email. Did you have gps on when you lost it? On some phones it will turn it on for you once you send the text. Good luck bro!

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz