Just loaded my first ROM :) but WTH?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by davidbehrns, Oct 5, 2010.

1. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

So I got brave last night and loaded Bugless Beast v0.5. I was proud of myself. I rooted a while ago but this is the first time I did a nandroid backup, completely wiped my phone, and loaded a custom ROM. dancedroid

I have the moto droid 1 b.t.w. and I took the cowards way out and used ROM manager (Free version) to do it all for me. I have no illusions, I am not an uber-phone-hacker :)

So right away I noticed a speed boost (most likely from wiping the phone but it could be the ROM helping out too. I haven't over-clocked yet, so that is open for further study).

:icon_eek:So what is my problem????:icon_eek:

I went to the market to restore all my favorite apps (even the ones I paid for) and alas, nada. (What The Hell?)

For examples:
    I can find all 5 Handcent font packs but no Handcent MMS
    I can find my photosafe/videosafe licenses but no photosafe/videosafe
    I can't find Advanced Task Killer
    I can't find My Backup Pro (that is the one I paid the most for)
    I can't load a new launcher since Helix and Launcher Pro are no shows
    Oh, and I can't find ROM Manager Free but the $5 version is available. <Hum>

I can only assume that somehow the Market does a behind the scenes query on some info of the the ROM you are running and only shows results that are "tagged" for it (or are tagged for "all ROMS" or are completely un-tagged).

So I guess my questions are...
    1. Did I just load the wrong ROM for me?
    2. Is there a way to get old bugless beastie to act like it is a different ROM for market place searches?
    3. Do I need to find out some other way to shoe-horn my old favorites back on my phone?

Appreciating any advice you have, since I am trying to become a custom ROM kind of guy :)
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Did you follow all the instructions and NOT touch your phone after loading ROM till it rebooted itself? It should have auto D/L your apps.

BTW do not use ANY task killer with the Android operating sytems. They cause much more harm then good
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I am almost positive I read about a Market Fix that Pete had to implement...I am at work though and would have a difficult time finding the link
  4. hoppermi

hoppermi New Member

you might try deleting the data in the market app
    this usually clears up any market issues I'm having.
    settings/applications/manage/all/market/clear data and cache

Hopefully you can find a fix. I hate it when this happens.
  5. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

Yes, I didn't touch the phone until it re-booted... And it did auto load about 5 of my apps when it came up but only about 5.
  6. Azurikai

Azurikai New Member

you should buy Titanium Backup or at least download the free version :) best application EVAR!
  7. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

I can always restore from my nandroid backup and this is the first time I have done this so there is a chance I am witnessing stuff that I'll be able to "just fix" later. I would like to thank everyone for their quick replies...
  8. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

You ROCK!!!

That was EXACTLY it!!!! I am overflowing with apps again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
  9. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

This happened to me too and I swore I didnt touch until it re-rebooted.

Then I realized that meant, dont touch until it REBOOTs TWO times AFTER the installation. So when it is setting there waiting for it to sign into the Google Account, DONT touch! it reboots back to the sign in screen. YOu will have to wait a couple minutes for this....

Are you sure this is what you did? Because I ran into the exact same problem as you did. Also, yeah, Titanium. Enough said.

two feet away my phone is restoring all the apps w/ Titanium as I just left BB .5 to try Sapphire for the first time. BB.5 seem to give me battery problems.
  10. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

Yes, I waited until the re-boot (actually I started the process and walked away to get dinner during that time I have no idea how often it re-booted). Turns out it was my market place cache that got crud in it. After I cleared it everything is working just fine. So far I can say "I'm happy with the beast." I absolutely LOVE the "enter PIN" for the password instead of the 9 dot pattern. I liked the 9 dot pattern too but using it removes the graphic unlock slider and "silent mode" slider which came back when you use the PIN. (WOOT)
  11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Welcome to the dark side:)

You did good by making a backup too, and realized it was your way back if things got iffy. Once you are all set make another one of this rom. Then play with themes or move on to yet another rom.
  12. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

This might be useful info

Just to git rid of extra baggage. I backed my SD card up to my hard drive then erased it. I copied my pictures and music back on and let the Droid re-index/re-thumbnail everything. i filled in some blanks that some of my apps needed by restoring their data and let the Droid re-build the rest.

Turns out I had about 1 GB of extra crap following me around. Must have been all the apps I experimented with when I first got the phone. I thought only Microsoft had bad un-installers :)

Anyhow, I have the new ROM tweaked the way I want it so my next stop is another nandriod backup I'll call "The Happy Beast." Then I'll see about a theme.

I have made pseudo themes (before I even rooted and installed a ROM)
    Folder Organizer (free version) - lets me change the icons of Apps and Folders.
    Launcher Pro (free version) - lets me do up to a 10 by 10 grid for very granular placement of icons and gives me control over the icon tray at the bottom of the screen and the status bar at the top.

Combine that with some custom icons and you can do pretty well for a theme.

I'll try to attach a screenshot (the screenshot required root but nothing everything on the display can be accomplished without rooting)

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page

can't find my backup pro