Just Joined - Tethering Question

countryfireman

Reaction score
Obviously I have a Droid X or I wouldn't post in this forum, but I'm looking for a free app in order to tether to my Windows Laptop & or my iPad 2. My X is not rooted and that is not an option for me (I want to keep my warranty).

Any suggestions of an app that is free and will allow my laptop and iPad to use my X as a hotspot?

I tried PDANet once, but never paid and the trial ran out, not sure how well that works compared to other apps out there.

I am a newbie so go easy on the hazing, just trying to learn and benefit from those that know way more about this stuff then I do.

dbst

Reaction score
I think the only 100% free tethering app is Wireless tether, so you would need to be rooted... but you could easily unroot your X in a couple of minutes if you needed to take it to Verizon

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Technoman

Reaction score
Obviously I have a Droid X or I wouldn't post in this forum, but I'm looking for a free app in order to tether to my Windows Laptop & or my iPad 2. My X is not rooted and that is not an option for me (I want to keep my warranty).

Any suggestions of an app that is free and will allow my laptop and iPad to use my X as a hotspot?

I tried PDANet once, but never paid and the trial ran out, not sure how well that works compared to other apps out there.

I am a newbie so go easy on the hazing, just trying to learn and benefit from those that know way more about this stuff then I do.

All of the free tether APP's are limited in function. You have to pay to get full function. If you root, there are more options, but I believe they all cost some money also.

OP
countryfireman

countryfireman

Reaction score
So, would anyone like to explain what rooting is and safety of not losing everything I already have on my X?

Plus how do I root and unroot?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

qman66

Reaction score
So, would anyone like to explain what rooting is and safety of not losing everything I already have on my X?

Plus how do I root and unroot?

download z4root u can google it. u dont lose anything u already have when u root. and rooting basically gives u access to everything ur phone can do. there are plenty of topics on this on the forum. once u root u can download wireless tether and there are no costs what so ever. once u have root access u can tether, overclock ur devices speed add custom roms etc. its similiar to jailbreaking an iOS device.

OP
countryfireman

countryfireman

Reaction score
If I root the phone, and later decide to unroot it, will I lose all applications, contacts, etc that was done when it was rooted?

sacnvz

Reaction score
This is my first post!.....anyways. As a newbie I can attest that I just rooted my phone this weekend with z4root and added wireless tether. I also unrooted as a test using the option on z4 as well. I didn't lose anything.

This is my first post because 100% of the time someone before me has already ask the question. Search is great!

Youtube has been great too. search z4root for droid x and there's a bunch of how to's.

dbst

Reaction score
If I root the phone, and later decide to unroot it, will I lose all applications, contacts, etc that was done when it was rooted?

Nope you will only have to wipe your phone if you install a custom ROM, you will not lose anything by rooting/unrooting

OP
countryfireman

countryfireman

Reaction score
Ok, so I went to the XDA website to download z4root onto.my phone and I got an error saying"cannot download file not supported on this phone"

I'm running android version 2.21 on a Verizon droid x.

Suggestions?

matjmonk

Reaction score
Ok, so I went to the XDA website to download z4root onto.my phone and I got an error saying"cannot download file not supported on this phone"

Suggestions?

Its been a while since I've rooted but I think you need to download it to your PC first and then copy it to your SD card. Here is a link to the best guide I've found on everything DX: RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

dbst

Reaction score

Suggestions?

Download Astro File Manager from the market and in the settings you can enable all types of file downloads from the browser

sacnvz

Reaction score

Suggestions?

This is how I did it.

Using the browser on the phone I went to *********** - free file sharing and storage. Searched z4root. Clicked on the first file that showed up listed. z4root.1.3.0.apk Then I downloaded to the phone.

Once that's downloaded go to the app drawer and click the Files app. Click phone files and scroll all the way down to the bottom. You should see the z4root file you just downloaded. Click that file and z4root should install.

Go back to your app drawer and you'll see the app icon z4root. Click it and then you should see the z4root blue screen. You'll have two options temporary root and permanent root. Click permanent root. Don't trip though permanent doesn't necessarily mean permanent. Once you're rooted you'll see the option to re-root or un-root. After clicking permanent root it'll start rooting then your phone will reboot itself. After it reboots you'll be rooted. Go back to the z4root icon in the app drawer. Click it and then you'll see the re-root and un-root option.

Also to check if your phone is rooted is to install the free wireless tether app from the market. If it works then you're rooted.

I think that's about it. Good luck!

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
Z4root makes it super easy to root and unroot if needed. I recommend it 100%!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Used it on countless phones with 0 issues!
Btw, I have done several different themes for Wireless Tether too...just in case green and solid backgrounds aren't your cup 'o tea :)

Z4root makes it super easy to root and unroot if needed. I recommend it 100%!

Sent down with a Bolt of lightening!!

OP
countryfireman

countryfireman

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help, I think I have done it properly. My only and last question is after I unrooted, it just said unrooted but didn't restart, should it have restarted?

How do I know I'm truly back to being unrooted?

If I take the phone into verizon, should I uninstall the wireless tether app and z4root?