Just installed, a quick review

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I just installed Sapphire 0.6.2 - very impressed so far!

I love the SpareParts mod to change text colors. Very simple, much better than having to include services.jar in every theme just to change the clock from black to white.

LOVE the reboot option when you long-press the power key. It's like it should have been there all along.

Also - for anyone who installed the Black Bar Modification (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvps/55253-great-sapphire-theme-off-0-6-2-a.html), here's what you need to do to get the transparent notification background. It's mentioned on the wiki, but I thought I would clarify in case anybody else did the same thing:
1). Install Sapphire (duh)
2). Install the Stock Theme (this fixes transparency)
3). Install the Black Bar Modification
4). Fix the text colors in Spare Parts

I'm a fan of scriptybox. The name is amusing, but I'm guessing it's a reference to how toolbox and busybox both operate as a single binary that functions based on what the name of the symlink that calls it is. I have some thoughts on improving the terminal interface that I may try to apply to sapphire - namely switching most of the commands from toolbox to the more-capable busybox equivalents and switching the default shell. Would there be any benefit in packaging up these changes into a script, or is that something that could be rolled into the default ROM possibly?

Last edited:

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have some thoughts on improving the terminal interface that I may try to apply to sapphire - namely switching most of the commands from toolbox to the more-capable busybox equivalents and switching the default shell. Would there be any benefit in packaging up these changes into a script, or is that something that could be rolled into the default ROM possibly?

i have considered doing this in the past, but opted out in favor of stability. Although busybox is more capable on many of the terminal utilities, we have to remember that the original utilities are built specifically for android, and I am wary of removing them. Koush has expressed to me that swapping out the stock shell with bash is a bad idea, as it can lead to horrible problems when trying to do some tasks such as debugging applications remotely, so I have left it as is.

That being said, if you use the included bash shell (simply type "bash" once on a command line), the default system bashrc is designed to set up a ton of aliases so that basic commands like chmod, mount, etc, all reference busybox instead of toolbox. This is the preferred way to do it for the time being, until I see evidence on the contrary.

I hope that helps answer your question, and thanks for the review :)

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
i have considered doing this in the past, but opted out in favor of stability. Although busybox is more capable on many of the terminal utilities, we have to remember that the original utilities are built specifically for android, and I am wary of removing them.
Ahh, true. I found that most of the built-in utilities had the same interface, so they worked the same, but I didn't do any kind of exhaustive testing.

Koush has expressed to me that swapping out the stock shell with bash is a bad idea, as it can lead to horrible problems when trying to do some tasks such as debugging applications remotely, so I have left it as is.
Good point. I hadn't tried debugging or anything, I just tried it in the terminal emulator.

That being said, if you use the included bash shell (simply type "bash" once on a command line), the default system bashrc is designed to set up a ton of aliases so that basic commands like chmod, mount, etc, all reference busybox instead of toolbox. This is the preferred way to do it for the time being, until I see evidence on the contrary.
Oh, I hadn't realized about the aliases, that solves that problem.

Last edited:
OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Just discovered /system/etc/init.d

This ROM just keeps getting better and better!

Also - noticing that battery life is noticeably better than the other Froyo ROM I was previously using. Hard to quantify fairly, but I left it unplugged for 2 hours and it's only down to 90%, with moderate usage in a poor signal area.

Last edited: