Just got Xoom from Staples

CrownMyCoke

Reaction score
Man, I am loving this device. I have downloaded must of the tablet apps along with the "phone" apps. Just messing around with it now. Only had it for 3 hours. Anything I shoud get / do? Any recommendations?

milou6

Reaction score
That's great! I was less patient and bought the 3g/4g version but am using it wifi only (no data plan).

Try evernote and dropbox is you aren't already - great ways to integrate your devices and files. And of course weatherbug is great and so is google goggles. When I first got mine I used the web version of the market on my normal PC and then sent all the apps from my phone to the xoom (well, the ones I wanted anyway).

If you want/need a business "office suite" I just got Quickoffice HD for tablets and it's pretty nice. Not free though...

I'm using mine as a laptop replacement so I'm setting it up with more tools than I would otherwise. I'm also using the moto bluetooth keyboard (for times when I want to do any heavy writing).

Have fun!

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would imagine a racing game like Raging Thunder 2 would be fun on the xoom

Dan_08

Reaction score
Get a DVD ripping software like DVD Catalyst or something similar, and start backing up all your dvd's to your Xoom.

Glad you enjoy your Xoom...it will only keep getting better!

OP
C

CrownMyCoke

Reaction score
Thanks for some recommendations gents - why does my Droid X have DLNA and its not available whenon a tablet?

OP
C

CrownMyCoke

Reaction score
Anyone have info on DLNA? Would love to be able to stream to my Samsung TV. I can do it through my Droid X not sure why it would not be something on the Xoom.

Edit: Just did some research. It looks like this app Swifta helps with the DLNA. I have not tried it (will do it when I get home).

http://www.skifta.com/

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Get a DVD ripping software like DVD Catalyst or something similar, and start backing up all your dvd's to your Xoom.

Glad you enjoy your Xoom...it will only keep getting better!

I'm just selecting a few movies/shows to put on this thing for now, my 29GB is going away quite fast with these HD videos

feverhost

Reaction score
I really like the "TeamViewer" app for my Xoom. I haven't funny tested out the LogMeIn Ignition (for Honeycomb), but TeamViewer is free.. which is nice!

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of HoneyComb apps on the market as of yet, but I'm sure that will be exploding soon!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I really like the "TeamViewer" app for my Xoom. I haven't funny tested out the LogMeIn Ignition (for Honeycomb), but TeamViewer is free.. which is nice!

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of HoneyComb apps on the market as of yet, but I'm sure that will be exploding soon!

What's TeamViewer?

feverhost

Reaction score
It's a VNC type of app... but you don't have to unblock any ports. It's kind of like LogMeIn.. but works great on HoneyComb!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's a VNC type of app... but you don't have to unblock any ports. It's kind of like LogMeIn.. but works great on HoneyComb!

hmmm, might check it out. I use PhonemyPC, and it works pretty darn nicely on the Xoom

hitdog042

Reaction score
Man, I am loving this device. I have downloaded must of the tablet apps along with the "phone" apps. Just messing around with it now. Only had it for 3 hours. Anything I shoud get / do? Any recommendations?

I too got one from Staples today. So far I like it but I think I prefer my ipad. The one thing I don't like is no netflix or hulu.

If it had either I would be on board.

I love the way gmail looks. But at the end of the day flash doesn't help me much if it can't give me my netflix when i travel.

Prob gonna return it before my 14 days are up.

feverhost

Reaction score
Not having Netflix is a big disappointment, and I am still scratching my head. The Xoom shows up as an MTP device, so why could they at least not have HoneyComb use licensed music/video like Netflix?

Maybe this is in the works...

hitdog042

Reaction score
The sales guy said the same thing. If they want to lure ipad users they need to figure that out. My daughter is 7 and she lives on netflix. I too love it when im in hotels. Hulu is a wish list..not a deal breaker.

I also want an easier way to video chat with iphone 4 users. Gtalk to Fring works but its not ideal to get people to do it on the other end. I can't get fring to work on honeycomb. Keeps force closing.

Fix those 2 things and I am sold. The device is way too nice not to do these things IMO.

I can even get by with no netflix if they can figure out a video chat solution that isn't a pain. Skype would do the trick. But no video on honeycomb. Ugh.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums